#252060 10/06/07 09:51 AM
bonefish015.jpg
elbert Offline OP
Belizean Bonefish

10 Comments
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Schooling Belizean Bonefish
Belizean Bonefish are said to be small, fast and smart.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
and they are delicious... so Ive heard.

You have heard wrong.
They don't call them bone fish for nothing.
Fun to catch. not so to eat!

Never Use money to measure wealth
Bill, that was my first thought too. The good eating story was told to me by an old local guy standing on the pier wathching them school in the water. Funny what people tell you. He, or someone else, also told me that they are proected from being fished in Belize. (?)

I would have also thought that baracuda would be boney but people like to eat them.

Here is my bonefish picture submission. I like watching them swim under the piers like watching the southern rays.
bonefish

Razorfish: There are people all over this world that will eat almost anything. And, I suppose in a survival situation Bonefish would be the best thing in the world.
They are not protected from Fishing in Belize/ or any other place that I know of.

I have fished Bonefish for the better part of 30 years and have never run into them in such abundance as in Belize. Sure they tend to run on the smaller side as compared to say the Florida Keys. However the sheer abundance/ hook-ups in belize makes up for that in spades.Amazing fish, Amazing fishing. " The Grey Ghost" will always be one of my Favorite targets.

As For Cuda? Belize is the only place I've been that eat them. They are not at all boney, but the mercuray levels will always keep me from trying them as a dinner.

Jesse: LOL!!! too true.

S
S
Actually Bonefish and Tarpon are protected as catch and release only species in belize.

elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm going to try for a photo of a Tarpon this morning.
Great shot Razorfish.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Originally Posted by SimonB
Actually Bonefish and Tarpon are protected as catch and release only species in belize.

Thats good to know Simon. I can see why. A bonefish would not do well as a meal, and as for a tarpon, your boat would probably taste better. smile

Both species are an amazing fish to have on the end of your line. It's good to know Belize is protecting them in such a way.

S
S
Still trying to re-find the documentation for reference but in my travels I also found that Permit are supposedly protected as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 314 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.