Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
2 Images
P
Gorgeous tree at Changes in Latitudes

Apologise if the colours are a bit "washed out". It may be hard to remember back that far, but it was very bright and sunny a few days ago!

I don't know what this tree/bush is but it's lovely, with two totally different colour flowers!
5 Comments
T
T
It is beautiful.
Could it be two different color bouganvillas planted together? Bouganvillas have a vineing habit and can be trained to support themselves in a tree form.

Last edited by Texican; 06/17/09 12:51 PM.
Thank you. It is two bouganvillas. They were planted together, and now have cross bred if that's possible! Some of the flowers actually have both pink and white petals. We have a lot of people who stop by and take their picture under this tree!

Change your Latitude
P
OP Offline
P
Of course, bougainvilleas. I see that multi-colour isn't unusual:- (from Wikipedia)
"The actual flower of the plant is small and generally white, but each cluster of three flowers is surrounded by three or six bracts with the bright colors associated with the plant, including pink, magenta, purple, red, orange, white, or yellow".

Originated in Brazil but now found the world over. They were particularly common in the Cape (South Africa) when I lived there, and I've seen some lovely specimens on the Florida Keys.

Anyone know the best way to source/plant/propagate them? I think a couple would look good at my house.

S
S
A lovely cross popular in Hawaii is hot pink and orange..."sweet and sour"...beautiful!!!

T
T
You could cut a woody branch and stick it in garden soil, they don't really mind half sand. It would be much faster to buy largish established bound or potted plants. They need to be watered in the dry season but bloom best when it's hot and dry.
Like a poinsettia, the flower is just a tiny yellow center and the colorful "flower" are bracts.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 372 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.