Next Gallery
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#497175 10/23/14 05:01 AM
guitar_main_0.jpg
Marty Offline OP
Paul Nabor

LEGENDARY ICON PAUl NABOR HAS GONE HOME

He has accompanied Andy Palacio and Mr. Wilfred Peters.
Belize‬ mourns and is proud to have heard you.

News has been received of the death of Paranda artist, 86 year old Paul Nabor.

Reports received say that the legendary performer passed away this evening.

Nabor had been ailing for an extended period.

In January of this year, he was hospitalized with pneumonia and at that time, thanked all those who were praying for his speedy recovery.

Patrick Jones

Photo Essay of Paul Nabor

10 Comments
Marty #497195 10/23/14 09:50 AM
So sorry to hear this. He was a great man & performer. Saw him many times over the years and attended a few of his birthday bashes in PG. RIP Mr Paul.

Marty #497196 10/23/14 09:51 AM
A Legend and a wonderful presence.
Pass in peace.

Marty #497223 10/24/14 03:55 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

The Second Paranda King Passes

A Look Back At Nabor's Legacy

Indeed, the 2007 Three Kings documentary by Katia Paradis - set Peters, Nabor and Mes on a pedestal - and now two of them, Peters and Nabor are gone.

If Naguya Nei thought us how to sing with Nabor, The Three Kings taught us how to love him. The documentary captured his remarkable musical career and the sacred moments in his life as well as the joy that he spread through his music and simply: his presence. With the permission of the film-maker, Here are a few classic clips from that documentary.

Farewell Paul Nabor: A Belize Music Legend

Belize lost a national treasure and we farewelled a wonderful friend this week with the passing of Paul Nabor, Garifuna parandero extraordinaire and one of the best cultural ambassadors Belize ever had.

Born in January 1928, Paul, known as Nabi to his many friends, packed more into his 86 years than most people get to experience in ten lifetimes, from growing up in a simple Garifuna village to captivating audiences the world over with his deeply soulful Paranda songs and a humanism that cut across all societal and cultural boundaries. Whether in Belize City, New York, Europe or Malaysia, Mr Nabor, often wearing a large cowboy hat, would appear on stage and within seconds have any audience, anywhere, in the palm of his hand. There was something about him�

Nabi was a musician, songwriter, a Garifuna Buyei, or healer, herbalist, sailor, craftsman, pugilist (the name Nabor comes from his boxing days), valued elder, and much more. Up to the end of his life he continued to fill his days fishing from dawn in a dugout dory he built himself, singing and playing his guitar and providing spiritual comfort and physical healing to the many people who sought him out at his temple in the Southern Belize town of Punta Gorda.

We'd sit for hours as Nabi recounted stories from an amazing life; being caught out at sea in gales and drifting for days, working in dense jungles, surviving jail in Guatemala, knocking down much bigger opponents in the ring, teaching himself guitar and playing villages and towns up and down the coast of Belize, Guatemala and Honduras before becoming recognised and playing to large audiences around the world.

He built his own homes, boats and instruments with hands that were rough and scarred but could still gently caress and create exquisite melodies on guitar.

Whatever Nabi did, he did with a grace and inimitable style that was all his own, and with a legendary strength combined with gentleness and hard won wisdom he was happy to share. He lived life to the fullest, and gave back in innumerable ways. Words can't describe how much he was loved, and how much he'll be missed.

But his music will be with us for a long time, and his legend and impact will only continue to grow in stature.

Just as with fellow Garifuna musician Andy Palacio, who preceded Nabi in passing, and with whom he played, recorded and toured, Paul Nabor changed Belizean music and brought it to a large international audience.

Along the way, he inspired countless Garifuna youths to pursue their dreams and celebrate their culture.

Paul died peacefully of natural causes, and will be honoured by the government and people of Belize with an official funeral next week.

Ay�, old friend

Chaa Creek blog

Marty #497306 10/27/14 04:07 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Paul Nabor: on the passing of a national treasure
Michael Stone looks back on the life of Nabi.

Garifuna singer and Belizean national cultural treasure Paul Nabor (January 26, 1928-October 22, 2014) died on 22 October 2014 at the Punta Gorda town hospital. Nabor had been hospitalized in January 2014 for pneumonia and dehydration, had been in poor health for some time, and on October 12 suffered a stroke that left him partially paralyzed. From the coastal village of Barranco, Toledo District, Belize, Paul Nabor (born Alfonso Palacio) or "Nabi" was best known as a singer and writer of Garifuna paranda songs, a ballad form accompanied on guitar and percussion. Like many Garifuna men, forced by socioeconomic circumstance to migrate in search of work, Nabor lived his life between Belize, Guatemala, and Honduras.

Nabor had been a boxer in his younger years (his assumed name comes from his days as a pugilist). At home in Belize, Nabi was a fisherman, sailor (in his hand-built dory), traditional farmer, herbalist, and Garifuna buyei or priest and spirit medium, presiding at d�g� rituals at his dabuyaba or Garifuna temple. Spanish-Canadian filmmaker Katia Paradis' award-winning documentary Three Kings of Belize (Amazone Films 2007 - see below) offers a touching portrait of Nabor, along with brukdown accordion king (Wilfred) "Mr. Peters" and Maya traditionalist Florencio Mess, two fellow masters of Belizean roots music.

When singer Andy Palacio was recording Keimoun (1995), producer Ivan Duran asked him about the origin of one of the songs. Palacio responded that is was by uncle, Paul Nabor. Duran asked to meet Nabor, the genesis of his recording career, beginning at age of 71 with the Stonetree Records documentary compilation Paranda: Africa in Central America (1999), and subsequently with the Garifuna Collective.

Recognizable for his signature head scarf and oversize cowboy hat, Nabor was feted as a Distinguished Guest by the Government of Honduras when he visited Tegucigalpa in 2006 for the release of Aurelio Mart�nez's Garifuna Soul. Nabor was honored on the steps of New York City Hall in 2008 with a proclamation by the NY State Senate. He also was the recipient of the Government of Belize's Tribute to Belizean Patriots (2011), the Order of Distinction (2004), and the Meritorious Service Award (2004). In 2011 the Government of Belize granted him a pension "In Honor of His Lifetime Contribution to World Music."

At press time, the Belizean National Institute of Culture and History announced that the Government of Belize will honor Nabor with an official funeral. He is survived by his only daughter, Marie Santino Mart�nez, his grandson David Lino, and Lino's wife, Linda Barrow.

"Naguya Nei" (I Am Moving On)

Nabor wrote "Naguya Nei" when his sister was on her deathbed. Nabor's funeral procession will sing the song at his memorial service. As Nabor remarked in Three Kings of Belize, "I told all my family, when I die and go to my grave, you put this guitar inside with me."

Brother, I am ill
Dear brother, I am ill
I have tossed and turned in my bed
With this ailment in the presence of my family
I have spoken with my children
Dear brother when I pass away
They must have a band at my funeral
It is my little ones I'm worried about
It is my children I'm worried about.
   ©1998 Paul Nabor & Stonetree Records (BMI)

Paul Nabor from Katia Paradis on Vimeo.

Further adventures:
Three Kings of Belize
More about Garifuna Music

Source: Roots World

Marty #497463 10/31/14 04:37 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

7 Things You May Not Know About Paul Nabor

We've learned a lot about Paul Nabor this week and through the film The Three Kings many of us already knew a lot about him. But, still, the man is an enigma - and that's because he's a bundle of contradictions: great global fame matched up against great humility; great talent but precious few recordings�and the list goes on.

Yesterday we spoke to his great friend Michale Norales from Punta Gorda by way of Dangriga. Along with Darius Avila, he set up the Paul Nabor Birthday concert every January - and yesterday he reminisced with us about some of the little known things about Paul Nabor. Ivan Duran who toured all over the world with Nabor also chipped in with some reminiscences:�

Belizean Artists at Tribute to Paul Nabor

Nabi

It has not even been a week since the news broke across the land that Paul Nabor had died in Punta Gorda. On hearing of his passing my initial thoughts were of Nabor the man, and the way he existed in this world.

The thoughts in my head flowed to the pace of Adrian "the doc" Martinez's Baba. Then my mind drifted to Santiago Cal's iconic image of Nabor off the coast of Pene his hometown in a dory. It is a black and white image. The man and the sea.

What is it about hearing of death that realigns the soul? Andy Palacio's Lidan Aban (Together) played in my heart as I tried to reignite the special moments. Three more images rushed in - Paul in Malaysia with his big hat, Paul and Andy arms stretched in unity on the stage at the re-opening of the Bliss in 2004 and of course the rainy night in Belize City at the Brodies parking lot when Paul danced on stage in front of thousands in 2007.

So now in 2014 I try to harness the sequence of ideas and thoughts that I have about the man Nabor. From my friend Dr. Joe Palacio I learnt that Paul, born Alfonso Palacio, worked as a young man at sawmills in southern Belize. He was also a chiclero, and a fisherman. And like many young men of his time "he migrated to Guatemala and Honduras where he could get jobs with the fruit companies and his fish could fetch more cash. When he was in Guatemala and Honduras he became more serious about his music, singing and playing the guitar with groups or by himself. From early in life he had a special liking for Paranda music. He became a spirit medium (�bu) in Garifuna, which enabled him to be an effective healer throughout Punta Gorda and other parts of southern Belize. As a spiritual healer, Paul had to shed many of his earlier 'bad boy' ways. He also became more serious about his special gifts as a musician." (from email by Dr. Joseph Palacio)

Last Saturday I had the opportunity to speak to almost 400 young High School leaders inside the Art Centre of St. John's College. The topic was leadership. I used the example of Paul Nabor as a true leader. When I asked the students if they ever heard of Paul Nabor, most of them raised their hands. These were students from schools across Belize. I explained to them that for me Paul was a leader because he led by the example of his life - humble, passionate, engaged, and conscious. He was a man that paid attention to the temperature of his thoughts, a man who reflected on the community and most importantly he acted with his music.

It is easy to understand how Nabor entered our consciousness and never left. In 2000 Stonetree released the album Paranda. It started as far back in 1995 when Ivan Duran and Gil Abarbanel travelled across Belize, Honduras and Guatemala to record the style of music we now know as Paranda (which means to revel). Many of the recordings were made inside thatch buildings. Nabor's song Naguya Nei became an instant classic.

In 2000 UNESCO recognized the Garifuna Culture as a masterpiece of humanity. Nabor the man is an example of this masterpiece - oral and intangible.

In 2009 the filmmaker Katia Paradis released Three Kings of Belize featuring Paul Nabor, Wilfred Peters and Florencio Mes. For me this film represents an important part of our DNA of artistic life in the 20th century. It illustrates how art cannot be segregated from life.

We live in the 21st century where technology has enveloped our lives. Nabor's life and art proves to us that the time to create is every day. Not to create as an artist or idea of artist, but to make art as a chiclero, as a fisherman, and as a human. My friend Joan Duran describes the orbit of Nabor's life as a solar panel. What we see and hear in his music is brought to us with technology yes, but the source and the power of the music comes from the sun. Nabor is that sun.

By Yasser Musa for The Belize Times

Marty #497519 11/02/14 04:44 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Paul Nabor's casket is lowered into the tomb

Paul Nabor is laid to rest in Punta Gorda town

Legendary Parandero Paul Nabor, whose given name at birth was Alfonso Palacio, was laid to rest this afternoon in Punta Gorda town, following an official funeral.

The St. Peter Claver R.C. Church in PG was filled to capacity for the Mass of Thanksgiving for the life of the 86 year old Nabor, who died on October 22 following a long illness.

Tributes to the fallen icon were given by Yasser Musa, the former President of NICH, Robert Mariano, the President of the National Garifuna Council and Dianne Haylock and President of NICH.

The Eulogy was given by Darius Avila, President of the Battle of the Drums Secretariat.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos on the Patrick Jones website

Marty #497745 11/09/14 04:35 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Reflection for Paul Nabor

Saturday, Nov 1st, 2014 | St. Peter Claver Church |Punta Gorda | Belize

by Yasser Musa

Good morning.

In preparation for this moment I tried to consult widely with friends, students, artists, poets, musicians, anthropologists, producers and journalists on the essence of the man we artistically call Nabi�

I begin with two episodes at international airports as told to me by Ivan Duran who accompanied Nabi�

At the Miami Airport the Immigration officer asks, "what are you doing here?" and Nabi answers, "If you don't want me here you can send me right back home"

In Houston another officer asks Nabi "what do you do?" and he answers "I sing" and she says: "would you sing me a song?" he sings the first line of Naguya Nei, I still remember her eyes, she looked at me and said:

"Can I take him home with me?" she had fallen in love with Nabor�

Nabi
When you open your arms
Waves crash into the coast
You knew
How to get people happy

Via youTUBE I watch you and Andy in Rotterdam,
Dance like a dandy
In Stern Grove, San Francisco
Like the Howlin Wolf of the Mississippi delta
Like a Black Seminole

Your voice
From the first moment you hear it
Penetrates the heart
You knew
How to get people happy

Gulisi was only 13 when she escaped near genocide
You are her child
You are the solar panel of the early 21st century
The vigour of your aching hands strum acoustic honey
You recorded less than 10 songs
So what are we to hold on to?
Lyrics, which evoke nostalgic longing?

No, it can't be just that
We want more
And the children deserve more
They deserve to know you too

You the sawmill worker
The chiclero
The fisherman
The spirit medium - �bu

You the migrant fruit company worker
The songwriter
The Parandero
A voice so unforgettable
So magical
Umalali
Sensual and stirring

Nabi
I know that the temperature of your larynx
Has its' origins
Inside a Saharan rock gong thousands of years fermenting
Spiced and marinated with water of Orinoco
Your voice is a drought and a deluge
It is African, Amerindian, Garifuna, Belizean
It is a cry of anguish
a sultry seductive
love making under thatched moon

Nabi
In the twilight
You took to the world stage
Educating younger artists
In the pedagogy of proceeding
You didn't need to go
You did it for them
Always ready to help
Showing that art is not about glory
But about how to live

Nabi
You are the oral and intangible
You sit in contemplation on a flight from Malaysia
In silence in your dory off the seashore of Pene
So that songs could swirl
A fever in your skin

Nabi
The awakening is just that
You taught us it is never too late
To begin now
To get up
And speak creativity to the world

Nabi
You led a cultural resistance against
The sterilization of our minds
You put salt back in our eyes
So we could recognize ourselves

Nabi
You are king
Not king of the Grammy
But king of gratitude
King of your temple
Of the spirit

King of curiosity

Every time you left the stage
You would say,

Brado,
Brado did I make it�did I make it?

Yes you did
Yes you did

Y�nd�ya Weyu (The Sun Has Set)
Landini (landing)
Ay� Da Nabi (goodbye father Nabor)
Ay� (goodbye)

Marty #498445 11/29/14 04:48 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Paul Nabor tribute concert & funeral, Punta Gorda, Belize, 2014

Andy Palacio & Garifuna Collective, Basketball Arena, Punta Gorda, Belize, Nov 2014.

Marty #519279 11/26/16 01:20 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Paul Nabor speaks about his music and Garifuna language (2013)

A short interview with Paul Nabor at his home in Punta Gorda, Belize in 2013 by Ruben Reyes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 295 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.