thanks much to lan and others for Q&A prior to trip. we had 5 days in AC (MATACHICA was fabulous!) and then 5 days at DUPLOOYS. AC was great but I think I favor our landlubber trip! tips below for other clueless travelers...

rent your own car. CRYSTAL set us up. met us at metro airport (instead of international) when we flew in from AC, which was half the fare of flying into international... easy drive to cayo. and nice to have flexibility to eat/see/shop when and where you want. duplooys and others have good food, but come on, everyday? and san igancio has so much to offer.... definitely visit mountain pine ridge area, but stay near san ignacio...

explore SAN IGNACIO! town is small and friendly. food is good and cheap. we especially liked CAFE SOL, SANNY'S GRILL and CLARISSA FALLS. cafe sol is great three meals a day!

do TIKAL! we drove ourselves and managed quite nicely across the border on my husbands high school spanish. it's a little adventure and you get to stay as long as you want that way. we hired our own guide at tikal once we got there - ANTONIO DIAZ - and thoroughly enjoyed our day. stop by the little town by the lake on your way back to Belize. much better prices and selection of tourist goods then at the border town...

go caving! almost don't want to post this b/c it may eventually spoil. but what the heck. cannot recall exact name of spot - but 45 min hike in and out to cave that is amazing living museum of mayan times. swim/spelunk with hardhat and headlamp, need I say more?! lots of pottery and some other archeologic surprises. highly recommend AARON of MAYAWALK TOURS. an amazing way to spend a day.