We're coming down for 1st time this August (11-20) and I'm trying to figure out where to stay in San Ignacio or environs. Parrot Nest looks very interesting, but Martha's, Aguada, Trek Stop, etc also sound good and some are cheaper. It's my fiance's first time traveling outside the good 'ole US, and I want him to see the world my way, but don't want to shock him to death either! I've been traveling solo with my pack on and off since 1991, but never done Belize. Where would you all recommend?
Also, I want to spend 2 days at Tikal, and stay overnight at the park so we can climb to the top of Temple V for sunrise. Am I going to need an agent to book us a room for the night or in August is it likely to be empty?? I went 2 years ago and had to use an agent for the Tikal Inn, which was pricey but worth it for the early morning privacy in the ruins. Can we just do the bus to the border then hop in a minivan on the Guate side as I've read on these boards and expect to find a room? Thanks so much everyone!