Hello Everyone!

I am a newbie to this forum, although I have been lurking unseen in the dark corners for awhile now. My husband and I visited Belize in March and fell in LOVE with the country and it's people. I can not wait to return one day when I save the money for another trip. Until then I will keep in touch through this board and one beloved friend we met at the resort we stayed at.

Now for my question...I was reading some information about shipping to Belize on one of the links through this forum, and I ran across something that said that that packages that I send to my friend and her family in Santa Elena are kept at the Post Office for pick-up (This I was aware of) But then it mentioned that the person who picks up the package has to pay any tax due on it. Is this true??? How much is this tax? I believe that my friend and her family are rather poor, I worry that this "tax" may be a burden for them to come up with! I have so far mailed 3 packages containing about $70 (American) worth of items each. Should I enclose cash to repay taxes they are paying? Does "cash" have to be listed on a customs form? The boxes have contained mainly clothes and toys for kids, I am frustrated that they have to pay to retrieve my gifts.

Thank for any replys,

Michelle