Boat propellers are killing manatees

[Linked Image] The large mammals pose no threat to swimmers or divers and manatee sightings are often included in travel packages offered to tourists. But that attention, it seems, is also the cause of their death. The Coastal Zone Management Authority and Sea to Shore Alliance have been receiving alarming reports of manatee deaths caused by careless boaters. Jamal Galves, a manatee researcher, says that it's time for tour guides to protect the specie rather than jeopardize its numbers.

Jamal Galves, Manatee Researcher, CZMAI/ Sea to Shore Alliance

[Linked Image] "For this year we have over nine animals that got killed over the Belize River Valley area. Most of them, to be more exact, six of them died as a result of boat collision. And they are all in the same area. I notice the consistency during the tourism season. I really want to get out there and give notice to the boat drivers and these captains and tour guides that use the area because I see them going in the morning, they come out so the tourist can see them. Then they just take off just as if they didn't care for the animals and come down the river. I really would like for them to be aware of it because we have had seven of them got killed by boat encounters in that area. Manatees are mammals, they are herbivores, they are the only sea grass eating mammals in Belize. Belize has the highest population of this said species throughout the world. I think we should preserve it. That is something that we are recognized for in Belize and we should acknowledge that because a lot of countries can't say that for themselves. We have speed zone signs in these areas and these tour guides are aware of the areas that these manatees use because they themselves use them. So I ask for them to be careful, travel at a wake speed to avoid collision because these animals, they are so huge, and so slow, they are unable to get away from the boats. So it's much more easier for them to avoid the manatees than the manatees to avoid them."

Galves says that they were able to find out about most of the manatee deaths because concerned members of the public have informed his organization.

http://edition.channel5belize.com/?p=31437

Live and let live