An 83 year old retired American doctor says he has spent the last 8 years investing over six hundred thousand dollars in 2 major projects in Cayo. One being a plant that will produce diesel form cassava and the other a soy milk factory. But as they say the road to hell is paved with good intentions and that's what this man has been living with. After all that investment, there is little to show. That is because according to Doctor Robert Wyckoff, he has been conned by Pastor Hector Mar - a resident of San Ignacio Town. Wyckoff says that Pastor Mar was running his farmland while he was in the United States. 2 years ago he sent 2 hundred thousand dollars in Mar's bank account, money he claims Mar cannot account for today. But Mar says he has 100 thousand dollars in the bank and all he needs to do is go withdraw. Both parties spent the entire afternoon trying to resolve the issue at the San Ignacio Police Station and Monica Bodden spoke to Wyckoff�.

Dr. Robert Wyckoff, Victim
"The issue right now is that O sent down US$100,000.00 and I did not want it in my own name at that point so I trusted Hector and so its BZ$200,000.00 and he then ask if he could have half of that account to use as he needed on the farm. He start growing on it but he never gave me reports and he wouldn't talk about it so I came down and look into it, at one point he written himself a $19,000.00 cheque, another point he written himself a $40,000.00 cheque to close out the account a few days before I arrive. The other half BZ$100,000.00 was to be kept a part just for the fuel plant and he announces that he has it and that he has got it there for me but he will only give it to me if I promise not to tell the police about the things he has done and I won't get a lawyer to try and straighten things out."

Sr. Supt. Chester Williams
"We have a complaint that was made by Dr. Wyckoff in relation to a $200,000.00 he has sent down to one Mr. Hector Mar. However the circumstances as to how the money came was by virtue by a contractual agreement between both parties whereby the money was sent by Mr. Hector for certain things to be done that he and the doctor had agreed upon and apparently Mr. Hector Mar is saying that he still have $100,000.00 of that money in the bank which he claims that he is prepare to hand over to the doctor today, so we are currently in a meeting with both parties, we are trying to resolve the issue because there seems to be a tense issue between both parties as a result of this money so as the police we are mediating, trying to see if we could have both parties agreed to certain things and hopefully we will try our utmost best to have both parties walk away happy today so it is something we are working on, we are in dialogue with them right now and I am very optimistic that hopefully at the end of the day today the issue as it pertains to the money will be resolve as well as other issues that Mr. Hector is claiming as well."

"So he is gone now to the bank again but he won't bring it. In fact there is even a considerable that he even has it."

"Mr. Mar had return and informs that the bank has been close so he has agreed to reconvene negotiations tomorrow morning at 8. We will see what will happen tomorrow morning. I am trying to give him the benefit of the doubt that the money is indeed in the bank and that he will try to resolve this matter for the best interest of all parties involve, so we will see what happens tomorrow morning."

"I really believe in the man, I thought his faith was to provide proper notes and proper records but unless that he is semi-literate and really don't know how to do and how to use a computer. So when I came down here and said Hector we have to have good records and I hired a lady to help and she immediately saw all these things - turning in false bills. I think we pay $1700.00 for gasoline in one month for his to drive his car back and forth to the farm. He turn in bills that was ridiculous and thousands and thousands for construction materials like re-bar and cement never showed up on the farm. The farm paid for them. In six years he has never produce 10 cents profit from the farm, never anything. The worse thing is that every week I get a bill for 4 workers on the farm - $600.00 - $700.00 to pay the farm workers; now investigating we found out that there were no farm workers. What he did is that he was billing me for them working on the farm and then takes them and use them in his own construction business. Couple of them told me that they have never been on a farm, and they have been on my payroll for a year."

"We have receipts and statements from some people who allege that they were working for Mr. Hector Mar and his own interest or his own construction company. I receive those statements a while ago and I will be reviewing those statements tomorrow morning to see if there is anything criminal as it pertains to the money receive from the doctor and the payment made to those persons working for Mr. Hector Mar own private interest. I will be looking at those tomorrow because we all know that money is money and whilst yes there might be statements from these people indicating that they were working for Mr. Hector Mar, one could argue where does the money come from? is it indeed the doctor money? what is Hector Mar money? so it is something that we have to look at. We will have to make a connection between the money for the doctor and the money being paid for those persons for Mr. Hector Mar's own interest and that connection will be a very difficult one to be made, hence the reason why I am still looking at the possibility that it might not be a matter for the police to deal with, it might be more a civil matter but as I said I will review them more intensely tomorrow and if needs be then I will seek the DPP's advise to see what direction she would guide us as it pertains to the way forward with those receipts and those persons who have given statement that they were working for Mr. Hector Mar own interest and being paid from money belonging to the doctor."

Monica Bodden
"When tomorrow comes if by chance that $100,000.00 is not delivered in the doctor's hands, what's next?"

"Well like I said earlier the money came by virtue by a contractual agreement both parties and that in itself makes it none criminal. What we will have to do then as we had advice Mr. Wyckoff that it is more a civil matter and he will have to pursue action against Mr. Hector Mar in the civil court."

"Basically he is holding my money and kind of like a kidnapping - you will have your money back if you don't do anything bad against me."

Today Seven News also spoke with Pastor Hector Mar - who told us he is willing to hand over the one hundred thousand dollars that is being held in his account - but first he needs a written agreement signed by Dr. Robert Wyckoff which will give him the permission to take what's his from off the farm.

Channel 7