Coach Siroki, Westminster Basketball Alumni, speaks about his coaching in Belize

Kevin Siroki (Assistant coach at Westminster in 2000)

Kevin Siroki is the Athletic Director and head Basketball coach at Galen University in Belize. Siroki, a Westminster Alum ('92), decided four years after graduating he was not quite ready to hang up the jersey.

"When I first got here[Belize] I came down to play in a professional league in 1996," said Siroki "I signed a contract to come play and fell in love with the country..."

Siroki and his wife, who he met as a player, moved to Belize in May of 2001 after he was granted a head coaching job of the Belizian National Team. Siroki remained with the National team until a new job opened up in 2006 at the University of Belize. The University had just began a new basketball program and needed a coach. Siroki was the perfect fit. He coached at the University of Belize until February 2011 when he was offered the Athletic Director and head basketball coaching positions at Galen University.

All of Siroki's players come from Belize. He says his coaching is more fundamental because Belizians don't grow up learning basketball like we do in the States. "When they come to me at the University level I'll teach them a lot about the terminology of basketball." Siroki said. "You know, the fundamental stuff. They are all athletic. They can run and jump, it's just a matter of the fundamentals that they are lacking... Which has actually helped me as a coach and it's great to see the light bulb finally come on in their heads."

Siroki says competition wise his school can be compared to that of a division III school in the US. In 2008 Westminster traveled to Belize over summer break and was very competitive with coach Siroki's team.

When asked if he ever thought he would be where he is today Siroki responded, "The only reason I've been successful and gotten to places where I've been now is because of hard work." Siroki explained. "Work as hard as you can and dream, dream BIG. Don't let anybody spoil your dreams."

Siroki's team is currently in-season and since they are independently organized their season actually is year-round. That's one more thing coach does not mind- basketball, all of the time!

Westminister Cable Network