End of an Era: Compol Jeffries retires from Police Department

The Police Department has lost an officer with thirty-eight years of experience under his belt. Commissioner of Police Crispin Jeffries retired today at the end of the workday. Jeffries has been applauded and criticized for being a hands on commissioner. He was a quintessential fixture on the frontlines of every major riot, protest, and the occasional domestic disturbance. Some of his most viewed public appearances include pepper sprayed strikes at the base of the House of Representatives in the Capital. But by all appearances he was a stiff, stern, no-nonsense cop who literally commanded the respect of his peers. Jeffries declined to speak to his favorite critic, the media today. However, he shared a few words on the Police Link Up Show, which airs on LOVE TV. News Five obtained a clip of Jeffries' farewell, and if you look very closely, you may just see what appears to be a teary eye when Assistant Commissioner Elodio Aragon lauded him for his more than thirty years of service.

Crispin Jeffries, Retired

Crispin Jeffries

"I know that I leave with the organization moving in the right direction and in the right hands. Some of the things people think that I am offended by or annoyed by-they'd be surprised to know what happens when we do the reflections on these issues. But it is fun, it is dangerous and it is serious. And I think that some of the things I did; they were risky but I enjoyed it. I took the chance when I needed to take the chance. And I've learnt that if you don't take the chance, you'll never learn. And I took the chance and I did it my way. I am not asking anybody to do it that way, but that was my way. I lost and I've gained, but I had a chance. I don't like to I don't like to discuss the regrets publicly, but there are regrets. When I look at where I came from and where I am today, I'm thankful. My regrets-had I done things differently, I'd be mentally satisfied that I could not have done better-that I was doing better. But I did my best."

Asst. Commissioner Elodio Aragon, Officer Commanding Eastern Division

"Commissioner, I think your years of service here in the Police Department; I think every police officer who knows you knows what you stand for. I think that the work you've put out there, we must be appreciative of that because I know that coming into the job, I met you. They always say, you da Papa Jeff because you have had your experiences, willing to assist, share your knowledge-and I that has gone a long way. And I think your service to this nation, thirty-eight years, is not a small feat. It takes a lot for you to be a police officer to take out way down to retirement. As a young senior officer in this police department, you have the commitment, the dedication and I tend to look to follow in those footsteps because definitely this country, the police department needs good leaders if we are going to move this department forward."

Crispin Jeffries

"Mr. Aragon thanks. The show is ended, but it's just to say to Belizeans, who from time to time have supported me, my greatest critic, the media; thank you. Goodnight."

Crispin Jeffries offers advice to decision-makers

It may be a farewell but it's not quite a goodbye for Jeffries. There are reports that he will take a post at the Ministry of Transport. Before winding up his thoughts during the Police Link Up show, Jeffries offered some advice and reflection on issues such as promotional rules that need to be resolved.

Crispin Jeffries, Retired

"I am at a point where I look back and try to understand why we are where we are. I keep saying on different occasions that there are certain things that were left out. And that status quo was allowed to erode even further and it is contained in our laws. And a wakeup call came just after we changed minister and we had completed the promotional exams. And it took us into some serious, serious soul searching and self analysis. And we began to realize the problem is greater than we thought, but the problem is also deep seated in a failure in the way we operated for too long when in fact there was systems in place that we allowed ourselves to set aside because we wanted to do things differently. And today when we look back, I think that none of the management audit that we've done has taken into consideration that piece of legislation that is called the Promotional Rules. It has contained in it a wealth of what goes in with ethical and professional standards and self discipline. I am certain that today we are about to get the report of yet another consultant, but unless consultants come into Belize and look at those things and speak to the powers that be, the government, to do something seriously about those issues then we might be going; as some of my now supervisors and managers say, still spinning wheels. So we need to take a serious look at it."

So the next time you see Jeffries, he'll be wearing the Ministry of Transport's hat.

Channel 5