Smith: Price Led Belize Out Of Colonialism, But After Independence?

For the past two nights, we've been looking into the authorized biography of George Price with its author, Godfrey Smith. So far we've discussed the unprecedented personal access that Price gave to Smith and the forces that coalesced (koa-lesst) to thrust Price unto the national stage.

Tonight - in the last part of our interview, we'll examine - in a very broad sweep - Price's leadership between self-Government in 1964, right up to independence in 1981 and beyond.

We also asked Smith about his candid discussions with Price about his celibacy.

First though, to Price's prime, as a mature leader fleshing out his vision for nationhood:..

Jules Vasquez
"Would you say that he was in his prime at that period, he was at the height of his powers. He had absolute control over his party. He had best it seems crystalize his ideas at that time on nationhood and nation building."

Godfrey Smith
"Oh certainly, I would have to agree. At that time as well he still saw Belize's future economically primarily as being link to Central America for geographical reasons primarily. His real deep seated concern was how to achieve economic viability."

Jules Vasquez
"How would you asses Mr. Prices performance and role during internationalization. Was he central or tangential?"

Godfrey Smith
"I would have to say central. He couldn't attend every meeting and he couldn't sign off on every detail. But I am left with the firm view that his input was sought. His direction was sought, his agreement was sought and he had a firm hand in directing the process. He was an extremely serious, meticulous, well researched, aggressive, firm strong leader who gave a lot of thought to things and who was in short a visionary."

Jules Vasquez
"What led to the demise of the PUP post 1981 in terms of the party discipline itself started falling apart. Mr. Price could no longer hold it together. All these contentious factions at war with each other."

Godfrey Smith
"Yes I think it's a case again of a number of factors reaching a tipping point for which there was no return. The global economic situation was bad. The world was in a recession that obviously had spill off effects in Belize. The party had been in power always up to that point. They had never lost an election. Independence was won on the promise that this would be better for Belizeans and in fact it wasn't. Things worsen and corruption crept up and reaches critical mass. So being the masterful politician his first and foremost objective was always to keep things in a manageable position, not to do anything that would hurt the party. But at that point it was a little too late; it was a bridge too far. Things had progress to a point where people simply needed a change."

Jules Vasquez
"Price was unable to lead effectively in the modern era, the post-Independence era. Was it because he was not a man of that time?"

Godfrey Smith
"I would have to reluctantly agree, let me rephrase that. My frank answer is yes, I think after the accomplishment of Independence. Price was a colonial era politician like many politicians and his greatest legacy is the achievement of Independence. Yes I agree that after 89-93 that he was perhaps a little bit out of his depth in terms of what was required to move things along economically, that's my view."

Jules Vasquez
"His personal life - this is probably the most thorough glimpse or the only glimpse really in his personal life because while they have been other books they have scrupulously avoided his personal life. You have broached many subjects, personal subjects with him including celibacy. What was his reaction when you broach that subject?"

Godfrey Smith
"Completely open, almost pride in the fact that he was celibate until his death, he said so to me and he had no reason not to be truthful about it. I pressed and prodded him whether - there was not a single instance of him having a sexual liaison with a female and he said absolutely not and it seems to me that he honestly holds the view that his celibacy helps to account for his focus in politics, his energy, his longevity in life."

Jules Vasquez
"Did you speak to him about sexuality? About his sexuality?"

Godfrey Smith
"I have said to him that surely he must be aware that people have accused him of being gay and he said there is absolutely no truth to that, no inclination to that whatsoever."

Jules Vasquez
"There are people who are very involved in mythology of Mr. Price and hold that mythology secret. Do you fear that some will be offended by the many of the candid disclosures made in this book?"

Godfrey Smith
"Fear, no. Do I expect that? Yes. Notwithstanding some of the truthful revelations in the book. For me none of that diminishes Price's extraordinary political talent and his extraordinary and perhaps unparalleled now and forever contribution to the development of not only Belize but political parties in Belize and institutions in Belize. But the approach certainly was to tell Price's story based on what he said, based on interview with other people, based on historical research, articles, magazines, newspapers etc. without reference to the mythology and to those who mythologized Price because that the only way I know how to do the work."

The book is called, George Price: A Life Revealed, and it is published by Ian Randle Publishers of Jamaica. It is being launched right now at the George Price Center in Belmopan.

It will be launched in Belize City at the House of Culture tomorrow at 7:00, with remarks from Governor-General, Sir Colville Young. Books go on sale Monday at book stores everywhere. It is available for sale in hardcover and paperback and the electronic Kindle Version should soon be available on Amazon.com.

Channel 7