Today the Salvation Army annual Christmas dinner was held inside Holy Redeemer's Auditorium. Over 700 hundred Belize City primary school children were hosted at the luncheon. Such a treat was all made possible with a little help from the Belize City Council and Grace Kennedy. All attempts were being made to make the season extra special for these less fortunate children - which was a success. The youngsters were not only fed, but they also received a toy. 7news was there.

Mayor Zenaida Moya
"This morning we are here at the annual Salvation Army Christmas dinner for the children. Every year the Belize City council teams up with the Salvation Army, along with other business partners to feed 1000 underprivileged children from all the primary schools in the Belize City area. And I must say that, this is the sixth year that I have been here and it's going well, we will be feeding 700 children today and 300 children will be fed later on at the Salvation Army compound."

Marion Ali, Love FM
"What's the selection process like?"

Mayor Moya
"Well, each school has to submit the names of a specific number of children that are very needy and who may otherwise may not have a wonderful turkey dinner at their home."

"They will also be receiving their Christmas presents which will be given out after everybody has been given their dinner, but it's a selection process that every year, it's in the hands of the teachers and the principals who will know who are the most needy of all the children in their schools."

"Every year the City Council assist, we have the human resources, we are the one who come here and help to set up, ensure that the acoustics is set up. We also give some toys and each of the councilors along with myself; we give toys on our own. And we contribute towards all the toys that are here for the children."

Monica Bodden
"So what is on the menu today for the children?"

Mayor Moya
"Rice and beans, turkey, ham, cranberry, salad, stuffing and they are going to get their delicious juice, a little piece of cake or cup cake and afterwards their toys."

Children from all primary schools in Belize City were present.

Channel 7