In October of this year, the construction of a Town Clock in San Pedro drew widespread criticism from a cross section of that island's community, including the San Pedro Branch of the Belize Tourism Industry Association. Residents complained it would impede the easy flow of traffic, and that there were other more important issues facing the town than the building of a clock. But the Mayor held her ground and went ahead with the project anyway. This is after she says her council conducted its own sample of opinions that streamed in to her office.

Well, the clock is now complete and its official unveiling is set for New Year's Eve. It's a dream come true for the Mayor who says she got the idea whilst visiting the island's sister city in Wilmington, North Carolina. Today in a telephone conversation with 7 News, the Mayor says the clock is already drawing rave reviews, even from some of those who objected to it in the first place.

Elsa Paz, Mayor of San Pedro Town
"I am very proud and happy about it, it's very beautiful, it's a very beautiful clock and I would say it's a very modern clock also because of its message board. It has a message board and also the clock has four faces' that you can see it from the north, south east and west. Since it started to operate we have had lines of tourist taking pictures from the same day that they had installed everything. We had a lot of tourist that are on the island right now and a lot tourist had already taken pictures with the clock."

Jim McFadzean
"What about the locals? I know at the initial plan to construct that clock, your office came under a lot of criticism. But I get the sense that some of those same people now are happy with what they see, is that true?"

Elsa Paz, Mayor of San Pedro Town
"Yes, it's true, I would like to comment on that part because we had like 84 people that opposed on the clock, but because I had letters that was sent to my office and there were like 41 people that said that they do like the idea of the clock, but they didn't like that location, because their concern was the obstruction of the traffic or the traffic jam on the main street. And the other 43 persons that opposed on the clock, they didn't like the idea any at all."

"After all that I got about 356 signatures of local people that supported that idea of the clock and because of that I decided to go ahead with the clock. Things right now have been functioning, it's ready and I have heard from those same people had commented on the clock and I have heard that they now like it."

The official unveiling of the town clock will take place at 9 P.M. on New Year's eve, along with live entertainment leading right up to the countdown and fireworks at the Central Park.

Channel 7