Yep, it's true, there are no flies on us!! I have waited until the rainy season has passed sufficiently to be confident about this statement but now I am almost 100% sure that we can say that Caye Caulker is mosquito-less!!

The wisdom or the reasoning behind his lack of bothersome insect varies depending on who you speak to � some feel it is because the oceans around us are less warm, thus less atmospheric activity ie hurricanes and also less mosquitos!?? I have also heard that some feel it is because tourism is down and therefore there are less tourists to bite!?? � the fact that tourism is not down should really be the argument against this reasoning!!

There is a short and simple reasoning behind this phenomenon and it is our new mosquito deterrent created by our Village Council this year. Alberto Villanueva (our Chairman) in his endeavor to rid our island of these hideous creatures in ideally an environmentally sound way, approached the Ministry of Health for their advice. They had in storage a product called Abate that seemed to fit the bill but nobody seemed to want to use.

Abate larvicide controls malaria and other vector-borne diseases by controlling pests before they reach maturity, preventing them from breeding and spreading disease through new generations of insects.

Abate is a potent larvicide based on the active ingredient temephos that effectively manages a broad spectrum of nuisance and disease-causing insects (including mosquitoes), before they hatch. While long-lasting insecticidal nets and indoor residual spraying focus on the individual and the household, Abate larvicide takes vector control to the community level.

The result - an enormously happy village community and most likely an alarming drop in mosquito carried problems on our island! Thank you once again our VC Team � we are all very happy!!

Raggamuffin Tours