The 2012 Body Building and Body Fitness Championships was held at the Bliss Center for Performing Arts on Friday night.

The event is held every 2 years, and this year, the competition was as fierce as it was in 2010.

But the highlight of the show was when Rigo Vellos won the overall competition, in which the members of the lower weight classes challenged him for the title of the best athlete of the championships.

Today, 7News was able to contact Vellos via phone, and we asked him about the experience. Here's what he had to say:

Rigo Vellos - Winner, 2012 Body Building Championships (Via Telephone)
" I know that the guys prepared themselves just like I did. The last time there was a Mr. Belize, that was in 2010, and I prepared myself for 2 years. And I know that they did also, and I know that they worked hard; that's why they were on that stage. The competition - there was competition for me. There wasn't a single second that night that I felt too comfortable saying in my mind that I have won this competition. I went there - from day one, I had in mind that I had to be competitive until the last second. Until I heard that they called my name winning, that was when I got more relaxed and more comfortable. The guys did go to compete; they were ready for competition, and they did give me competition. Bodybuilding does require a lot of discipline, a lot of time spent at the gym. See as though I have won the Mr. Belize, I try my best to keep it in my head that I carry a name not just like the one I carry every day. I keep in mind that actually now, people look up to me."

There were several categories in the men's competition. In novice category of the competition, Leroy Card won first place with Eduar Burns coming in second and Jose Alvarenga. In the men's physique category Dean Hemmans won first place, while Robert Howes took second place and Calbert Castillo taking home third. In the welterweight category, Deon Danderson won 1stplace beating Deon Ortiz who took home second. In the middle weight, Guy Neal was the winner. In the Light heavyweight category, Rigo Vellos won first place beating Ernest Broaster, who came in second, and Deon Banner, who came in Third. Vellos won the overall round also.

In the females competition, Charlyn Flowers won first place in the Bikini Fitness Category. In the category of female body figure, Gina Lovell was the undisputed winner. And in the women's bodybuilding category, Lurnette Sankey-Young won first place, defeating Josie Gault, who came in second.

Channel 7