FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7 and Channel 5
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Hemispheres, February Issue: "Three Perfect Days In Belize"
Belize has received the prestigious honor of being featured in the February 2013 issue of the United Airlines in-flight magazine, Hemispheres. Belize was chosen for the "Three Perfect Days" article, and is also featured on the cover of the magazine. To capture the full authentic Belizean experience, the twelve page spread features a myriad of adventures and gives readers a peek at just what sets Belize apart; the people, culture, food, and landscapes are just a snapshot of what makes Belize the ideal tourist destination. Joe Keohane and Al Argueta take readers on a journey into the heart of Central America, Belize. "Day One," the adventure begins at the Blancaneaux Lodge in the Cayo District, and later takes readers into Rio Frio Cave and then on to discover the mysteries of Caracol.

Solid Waste Management Authority providing training on Hazardous Waste
As part of the Solid Waste Management Project BL - L1006 infrastructure works, a hazardous waste cell is currently being constructed at the Mile 24 Regional Sanitary Landfill site. This cell will be used to facilitate the proper management of hazardous waste generated in the country. Hazardous wastes, if not properly managed can cause serious problems to human health and to the environment. With this in view, The Belize Solid Waste Management Authority in conjunction with the Department of Environment will be having one day training on the (Handling of Hazardous Materials and Waste) at The George Price Center for Peace on January 30, 2013. The participants are drawn from a cross section of sectors that generate and handle hazardous materials. The course will be covering the basic steps of hazardous waste management; including the characteristics a waste must contain in order for it to be accepted for final disposal in Belize's Mile 24 Hazardous Waste Landfill. The training will be facilitated by ABConsultores Ambientales of Mexico.

Taiwan offers 24 international scholarships for Belizean students
Belize-Coat-of-ArmsThe Republic of China (Taiwan) is offering the opportunity for 24 Belizeans to study abroad. The opportunity offered by Taiwan is a goodwill gesture to the nation and its people as part of the diplomatic relationship that exists among the two countries. The Republic of China (Taiwan) is a thriving nation experiencing rapid economic growth and industrialization. On October 13, 1989, Belize and Taiwan established a diplomatic relationship, and the Taiwanese Embassy has been present in the country of Belize since October 25, 1989. Since the embassy was erected Taiwanese government has taken the initiative to aid Belize in it development to meet world standards. One of the few ways that Taiwan has shown its support is by granting student in Belize scholarship to further both graduate and undergraduate studies at universities in Taiwan. Current Ambassador of Taiwan in Belize is H.E. David C. K. Wu shared his country's intent to offer a total of 24 scholarships this year. The areas of study vary from nursing to business administration. These scholarships are given under the International Cooperation and Development Fund (ICDF) of Taiwan. The scholarships are for enrollment starting in September, 2013. Persons that receive any of the scholarships available are entitled to a round trip airfare, housing, tuition fees, credit fees, insurance, textbook costs, and a monthly allowance. Studies abroad can last from two to four years, depending on the program. Only Belizean citizens can qualify for the scholarship program.

Ambergris Today

Man Stabbed to Death Inside Island Night Club
The first murder of the year on Ambergris Caye took place this past weekend on Saturday, January 26, 2013, during the early hours of the morning at a popular night club in San Pedro Town. The vicious murder of 25-year-old Byron Estrada took place inside the restroom of Daddy Rock's Night Club; Estrada was stabbed multiple times and succumbed to his injuries soon after. According to police reports, Byron Estrada, boat captain of San Pedrito Area, was found lying on the ground with multiple stab wounds to the neck, chest and back. Investigations revealed that Byron Estrada (Espat) was inside Daddy Rock Night Club socializing with friends and reportedly went to use the restroom where he was approached by a male person of dark complexion who allegedly inflected the said multiple injuries to Estrada.

Belize National Football Team Makes History
The Belize National Football Team, also known as the Belize Jaguars, returned to Belize on Monday, January 28, 2013, after making history in the Copa Centro Americana Games held in San Jose, Costa Rica. While the boys from Belize might not have won first place, they were the official big story of the competition, surprising regional football observers who expected them to be easily knocked out of play. The team captured the attention and hearts of many Belizeans and returned to a heroes' welcome. The Belize Jaguars made sporting history for the nation as they qualified for 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup to be played in 13 host cities across the United States against 11 other nations in July. One of the more interesting stories to come out of this year's UNCAF event revolves around the Jaguars' breakout at the international level. The smallest Central American nation by a long shot, with just 300,000 inhabitants, Belize had only had four draws from eight previous tournament appearances.

Misc Belizean Sources

Victoria Peak Expedition - May 2013
This year Cayo Adventure Tours will be leading another expedition to Victoria Peak in Belize. This is an exciting adventure that is not for the fainthearted! We will be joined by 10 adventurous, "no- turning back" individuals. You could be one of them. Requirements to climb Victoria Peak Victoria Peak is the highest mountain in the range at a height of 3,675 feet and the second highest elevation in Belize.This will require a 3 to 4 day hike through the jungle!

Mennonite Gurls A'ken Cook: Mater Basil Tertellini Soup
Cook garlic n' earl ovr medium heat until fragrant. Stir n' broth, mater juice and maters. Brang t'a bawl. Add tertellini, reduce heat and simmr fer 10 minutes. Add basil, oregano, red peppr flakes, creem and Parmesun cheez. Brang t'a bawl and simmr fer 5 more minutes. Sprinkle each servin with dishnull grated Parmesun cheez.

Channel 7

Teachers Protest, By the Thousands
Today classrooms across Belize were empty and thousands of school children stayed home because their teachers went to Belmopan to send a message to the Prime Minister: they want a raise and they won't take no for an answer. 7News was there from beginning to end - and Jules Vasquez has this story. Jules Vasquez reporting The crowd started out relatively small on the green in front of Belmopan Comprehensive at 9:00 am. Perhaps there were a few hundred and it looked like the unions might be in for a disappointment: Jose Castellanos, President APSSM "We have to get the masses today and if we get the mass I think the government will understand that we mean serious business." Jules Vasquez "I am a little let down from teachers, I expect more."

Minister Responds to Protest
That's one thousand more than the BNTU President promised yesterday - and to be sure, a mighty impressive crowd - the type usually reserved for political rallies. And so with the numbers in a range that they could relate to, did the political directorate - which was in Cabinet -get the message? One of them who had a unique chance to do so was Education Minister Patrick Faber; his office at the Ministry of Education flanks the National Assembly Stairs. Today, when returning from Cabinet, he walked past the large crowd and had to go around the back to get into his office. We caught him as he was passing and asked him if he was moved by the showing:.. Jules Vasquez "The crowd out here today seems impressive to us but did you as the Minister see it and are you sufficiently impressed that they have the 100% support of the teachers?" Hon. Patrick Faber - Minister of Education "Honestly I have not seen the crowd. I have just walked by here and I have not looked over for obvious reasons. I know that somebody might be in the crowd that gets over happy and does something that is not necessarily warranted, I must get to my office and that is the reason I'm passing here. I have to go enter through the backdoor but it's not a problem." Jules Vasquez "You may not have heard the chants this morning but the chants said that if you can't help you'll have to go."

Convicted Killer Charged For San Pedro Restroom-Stabbing Murder
Last night 7News told you about the San Pedro resident, 25 year-old Bryon Estrada Espat, who was killed inside a night club. Well tonight, the man who police believe stabbed him to death is at prison after he was taken to court today. As we reported, Espat was inside Daddy Rock Night Club on Saturday at around 4 a.m. when several men followed him inside the restroom area. One of those men, who managed to slip a knife past the security, attacked him and stabbed him 22 times to multiple areas of his body. He managed to escape his attacker briefly, and he ran into the main club area, where he collapsed. Persons inside the club tried to help him, but his injuries were too severe. He died while being transported to the San Pedro Polyclinic. Police had 3 men detained, and yesterday, one of those men, 33 year-old Edward Barahona, a resident of San Pedro, was arrested and charged with murder. He was arraigned today in Belize City before the Chief Magistrate, Anne Marie Smith, who remanded him to prison until March 21. Today, relatives of Barahona contacted us to say that they don't believe that police are carrying out the investigation correctly because they've charged the wrong man. They say that Barahona is innocent of the crime he's now remanded for. Police say they found him with blood on his shoes and clothes - but have not gotten a confession.

Trial without Jury For Alleged Killer Of Andre Trapp
In June of 2010, the story made the headlines of all the media houses when Andre Trapp, the reputed leader of the Southside Gangsters was killed in front of the Magistrate's Court. That incident made a major impact because of the ruthless efficiency in which it was conducted, and more importantly, because it happened near the courthouse, the seat of the judiciary, which represents law and order. Well, the man who has since been on remand for that murder is now standing trial - but he's doing so without the benefit of a jury. Nicholi Rhys, who police caught near the scene the same day, stood before the Chief Justice, Kenneth Benjamin, this morning for the beginning of his trial without jury.

The Footballers Return, Re-loaded
Last night, we showed you the homecoming of the Belize National Team, but due to time constraints, we were unable to fully show you the scope of that welcome from the Belizean people. When they arrived at the Phillip Goldson Airport yesterday, it was to a proud group of family and friends who cheered loudly, hoisting flags in their honor. The team was then transported to the Brodies Parking Lot on the Phillip Goldson Highway, where they held a press conference to greet the nation and voice their gratitude for the support: Here's how they expressed themselves to the public: Deon McCauley - Forward - Belize National Team "I just want to thank everybody for being out here. It means a lot to the team to see that everybody out here supported us. It will gives us a lot of confidence and a lot of energy going into the Gold Cup and I feel that with the support of the entire country it is something big for us to be there at the Gold Cup and Guatemala and Nicaragua is not there for the first time in history it means a lot to Belize, to the people and I just want to thank everybody for the support."

Hon. Faber Calls Amadi A "Liar"
Yesterday UB President Hope Amadi had his own protest in Belmopan. The numbers weren't anywhere to those put off by the Teachers today - but considering that he had a one man press conference on Friday - he didn't do too badly. But one thing he did do was tick off the Minister of Education. That's because Amadi's entire protest and offensive is based on his declaration that the Minister never answered their letter sent on January 21st. They gave him until the 24th to answer and when he didn't, that set off their countdown to a protest which culminated yesterday. But the minister says flatly that Amadi is lying. Strong words, but Faber didn't mince them one bit today:.. Jules Vasquez "The basis of his protest yesterday was that they (student government association) wrote to you and you did not respond." Hon. Patrick Faber - Minister of Education "That's an absolute lie. In fact I did receive their email. In fact you I think forwarded me a copy of that email to me once you received it and last Tuesday I to make sure that I made an answer, it was a very brief reply to say to them that they demand as they put in their letter to me - they are demanding that I and the Ministry re-instate the fee subsidy to which I responded that that demand cannot be met.

Faber Remembers The Heady Days of 2005, and Says "This Da No Dat!"
Amadi did speak at today's event - but we couldn't find him to comment on the Minister's firm assertion that the response was sent on time. And so while Amadi is the one presently giving trouble at UB - it wasn't too long ago that Faber himself was the one - to use a colloquial term - give "battery" at UB. Unless you're, like�5, you should remember the time in April of 2005 when police dragged Faber across the UB compound. It was historic; it was unforgettable, but Faber says it is a not a parallel event to today's protest:.. Jules Vasquez "Do you remember your days as (you are still young) a younger revolutionary?" Hon. Patrick Faber - Minister of Education "I am told that they are making a lot of comments about my arrest in 2005, but I remind them that my arrest was not any teacher or raise of pay issue. I was trying to get into the University of Belize where Said Musa was giving a speech. I think people are confusing the issues terribly. But none the less I agree with all of those who said that I used to be that kind of person who stands up and I stood up. Let be clear on what he issues back then that were problematic apart from my trying to get into UB into a public forum that the police had try to stop me from getting into. The issues back then were the fact that public money was being siphon off - was being used to pay individual private debts. There was major issue of corruption.

Canadian Job Recruiters Love Belizean Labour
You may remember the name ACTYL. They were in Belize City in December recruiting workers to be employed at McDonald's in Western Canada. They got an overwhelming response and came back - but this time focusing on the Cayo District. This time they are broadening their search based on what they say is an excellent labour pool in Belize. They're doing interviews on Barbados Street in Belmopan - where we didn't see them lining up like they did in Belize City - but that's because the Actyl representative says they came early: Reporter "What has the turn out been like today so far?" Dr. Linda West - ACTYL Group "The turnout has been very steady. People weren't supposed to arrive until noon, everybody arrived at like 6am-7am and so we've interview the people who are supposed to be here at noon and now we are waiting for the next crowd." Reporter "How many applications would you say you got so far?" Dr. Linda West - ACTYL Group "Today about 145."

Will Teachers Pay Be Cut
Today you saw thousands of teachers marching on Belmopan. That means they weren't at their work stations - which is the classroom. So will their pay be docked? It's an issue that comes up whenever teachers strike, but rare is the politician who has the daring to take it out of their pay. Today union President Palacio said it's the rule - but he hopes their right to protest will be observed:.. Jules Vasquez "Is there any chance that the ministry or thr managements would be so bold as to make a deduction for a day?" Luke Palacio, President BNTU "Jules, we've made that known to our teachers, we've said to them that the education rules does say that if the teachers go on any type of industrial action although it specifically speaks to a strike - they may lose salary. We are hoping that that is going to be the operative term "may."" And doing some housekeeping on Teacher's issues, in fairness we also have to let them respond to the scathing release that the Chamber of Commerce sent out on Friday. As we reported, the Chamber frowned on an across the board wage increase and said it would only favour quote, "properly evaluated increases (for) hardworking public servants." Jules Vasquez unmasked the coded language and asked the unions for their response yesterday:..

Police Target The Peninsula
Police have conducted another special operation on the Placencia Peninsula targeting known dealers - but seemd to only come up with their stash spots. Between 2:30 and 5:00 this afternoon, the Special Branch along with Placencia police, members of the Mobile Interdiction Unit and the K-9 Unit conducted an Anti-drugs operation in Seine Bight and Placencia. The team searched the homes of two construction workers of Seine Bight and found nothing. But a further search in an adjoining lot -led to the discovery of 24.5 grams of what police say is "Hydro" weed which was deposited as Found Property. Police searched another empty lot next to a known operator which led police to the discovery of 25.6 grams of Hydro weed and 58 small bags containing a total of 25.6 grams of cocaine. All items were deposited as Found Property.

Channel 5

Thousands of union members demonstrate in Belize's Capital
Less than two weeks ago, teachers from all ten B.N.T.U. branches countrywide voted by secret ballot to participate in a national demonstration. The decision was almost unanimous and it would garner the support of the wider national Trade Union Congress of Belize. This morning as cabinet met, teachers from every corner of the country converged [...]

B.N.T.U., N.T.U.C.B. and APSSM rally at the Assembly Building
After marching on the ring road, the gigantic crowd headed to Independence Hill for a three hour rally of speeches by branch representatives and other union leaders. Their cry was for salary adjustments and respect from the government. Police stood on guard throughout the event, but the demonstration started and ended peacefully. The unions now [...]

Can G.O.B. find cash for salary adjustments?
Over six hundred and thirty-nine persons voted on our last question on whether government was attempting to union bust. An overwhelming seventy percent voted yes and thirty percent said no. Tonight's question also relates to the teachers and public officers. It is: Do you think government can find the money to provide salary adjustments to [...]

Mass shutdown of schools on protest day
While all the action was in Belmopan, the city was relatively quiet.� An overwhelming number of teachers answered the B.N.T.U.'s call for action. Here in the City, only a few schools kept their doors open. Duane Moody has that story.   Therese Roches, Principal, All Saints Primary School "We had fifty percent of our staff [...]

APSSM past president says P.M. has power to make changes
While teachers and the B.N.T.U. took center stage through sheer numbers, the demonstration had the explicit support of the Public Service Union and the Association of Public Service Senior Managers. Leaders of those two unions were clear that while their members would not come out in mass, thus triggering a shutdown of public offices, representatives [...]

First murder trial without jury in session
The first murder trial without jury kicked off today before Chief Justice Kenneth Benjamin. Twenty-two year old Nicolai Rhys, the son of a police corporal, is accused of murdering reputed gangster, Andre Trapp on the morning of June tenth, 2010. After Trapp was killed; a green vehicle was seen speeding away and Special Constable Charles [...]

Suspect charged for murder of San Pedro resident
  On Saturday, twenty-five year old San Pedro boat captain, Byron Estrada, was butchered inside a popular nightclub on the island. Estrada was stabbed twenty-two times inside the bathroom of Daddy Rock night club and managed to stumble to the bar for assistance. He was taken to the San Pedro Polyclinic, but succumbed to his [...]

Faber redux: Minister's forgotten protest
As far as the union negotiations go, the buck stops at Prime Minister Dean Barrow, but the man in the hot seat is Minister of Education, Patrick Faber. His name came up repeatedly in the chanting by union members in the demonstration, and they were not exactly chants of praise. Faber's position today is markedly [...]

Education Minister denied UB student government claims
Following that trip down memory lane, Minister Faber also spoke about a more recent incident at the national university, U.B. The University of Belize's student government led a protest on Monday through the streets of Belmopan and it ended at the steps of the assembly building. Hope Amadi, the student government president, led about one [...]

Guatemalan Foreign Ministry investigation; President says country at a disadvantage in taking claim to ICJ
  The Guatemalan press is today reporting that President Otto Perez Molina has asked the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to investigate who should have had Guatemalan's best interest at heart, but dropped the ball in respect of the upcoming October referendum. Perez Molina made the declaration following a meeting between Foreign Minister Wilfred Elrington and [...]

APAMO condemns violence at Ya'axch� Conservation Trust office
Last week, the Minister of Forestry, Lisel Alamilla, disclosed that someone had shot at the offices of the Ya'axche Conservation Trust in Golden Stream. Today, the Association of Protected Areas Management Organization joined the minister in condemning the violence. APAMO expressed disappointment that anyone would attack the organization which is dedicated to achieving conservation goals [...]

Dad pleads for help with daughter's leukemia
Times are tough for a lot of people and many can ill afford medical attention. From time to time, they turn to the media to get exposure to their cause. Tonight, a father pleads for financial assistance for his young daughter, Sandy Jimenez, who is afflicted with leukemia.   Angel Manuel Meza, Needs Help for [...]

LOVE FM

Minister Faber Speaks On UB Subsidy Cut
The salary adjustment being requested by teachers is not the only hot button issue on the plate for Minister Faber. The students of the University of Belize are also not happy that a government subsidy which had been in place for years was cancelled this year. The student governm...

Unions Demonstrate At The Nation's Capital For Salary Increase
The throngs that turned out to demonstration on Independence Hill against the Ministry of Education, and by extension, the government, numbered anywhere from between three and five thousand, by approximation. Heralded by a January 10th meeting with government negotiators that yie...

Police News
A Ladyville man has reported that his business place in Belize City has been burglarized. The burglary is reported to have happened sometime between January eighteenth and Monday of last week. According to the fifty four year old owner, a quantity of electrical tools valued...

Case of Carnal Knowledge Reported in Southern Belize
Police are investigating a reported case of carnal knowledge in the south. A fourteen year old girl, in the company of her mother, reported to Independence police that on Tuesday of last week, the owner of a shot in Bella Vista village was having a conversation with her when the ...

Business Establishment Burglarized in Belize City
Thieves have targeted the Fiesta Chicken business establishment on Vernon Street in Belize City. According to a supervisor at the establishment, sometime between Saturday afternoon and Monday morning, the business located at the corner of Vernon and Sarstoon streets, was burglari...

San Pedro Resident Charged For A Weekend Murder
Thirty-three year old Edward Barahona, a resident of San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye, was charged with the murder of Byron Estrada when he appeared in court today. No plea was taken because the offence is indictable. Barahona was remanded into custody until March 21. Estrada, a resident...

LOVE TV

Cacao growers meet in Punta Gorda town
The nineteenth annual general meeting of the Toledo Cacao Growers Association was held on Saturday. Correspondent Paul Mahung reports.

National football team feted on their return to Belize
The Belize National Football team, just back from the COPA CENTROAMERICANA tournament is being feted at this hour in Belize City. Love TV's Natalie Novelo reports.

NTUCB holds mid-morning press conference
Poised to demonstrate on Tuesday in Belmopan in response to what they term as quote, "disrespect on the part of the Government" over a salary increase, the Belize National Teachers' Union, the Public Service Union and the Association of Public Service Senior Managers, under the umbrella National Trade Union Congress of Belize, met today with the media. Dylan Reneau, who heads the NTUCB, responded sharply to a recent press release by the Belize Chamber of Commerce and Industry, which opposes a raise to the public officers. The Chamber release states in part, and we quote, "the Chamber cannot condone the idea of general Public Sector wage increase that may serve to simultaneously reward unproductive or counterproductive work. This would, in the opinion of the Chamber, be a waste of taxpayers' funds", unquote. Here's Reneau's response. President of the BNTU, Luke Palacio, said that the demonstration will be a message to the government for disrespecting them. The government, Palacio suggested, is investing resources in areas that are counterproductive, as opposed to the public service, which employs the vast majority of Belizeans. Meanwhile, the President of the Association of Public Service Senior Managers, Jose Castellanos, said that what the unions are asking for is not unjustified and compared the Government's inflation figures to their figures. Palacio Palacio discouraged the demonstrators from wearing political colours or bearing banners with personal attacks.