FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7 and Channel 5
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

CG Esthetics presents new toning body wrap: "It Works"
CG Esthetics is now offering the newest botanically- based body contouring treatment that has become quite the rave in Canada. "It Works" is a full line of products that includes body wraps/strips, weight loss supplements and gels that help tone and reduce the appearance of cellulite and skin slackening. The body wraps help detoxify, tighten, tone and firm the skin in as little as 45 minutes. Each wrap costs $65. If you want to have it professionally applied by esthetician Carole Goudreau the cost is $85. The strips can be used on your legs, thighs, belly, arms, chin and neck and even on the face to get firmer, smoother and more youthful looking skin.

Letter to the Editor: Since When Has Discrimination Become Policy?
Belize Institute of Environmental Law and Policy (BELPO) has tried working with the Department of Environment (DOE) and its Chief Environmental Officer, since our mission is "protecting the environment through law". We have attempted to amicably deal with differences and to collaborate and cooperate with DOE without antagonism. We have had our requests for information ignored. We have been disrespected by members of DOE who have been less than forthcoming with the truth. Now, it appears, the Department is going a step further in trying to ignore our existence. Over the weekend [of May 18th], we heard, from a secondary source, about a training workshop on Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs) being held May 22-24; there was to have been participation from Governmental Ministries and Departments and Non-Governmental Organizations. The notice stated those interested should contact the Chief Environmental Officer, Department of Environment, for more information.

F & S Golf Cart Rentals and Dealership officially inaugurated
After over 20 years of living on the island of Ambergris Caye, San Pedro Town resident Manuel Flores has embarked on yet another business venture. The owner of Dalia's Store has expanded his enterprise to a Golf Cart Rental and Dealership. Already known for his fair prices and excellent service in the golf cart sales network, Flores now has his own storefront on Marina Drive at the entrance of the DFC Area. Customers can rent or buy a golf cart from F & S (Flores & Sons - Dan and Manuel Jr.). Since opening Dalia's Store in 1995, Flores has seen his small business grow into a successful model of hard work and dedication, a practice that will continue with his latest venture. Officially inaugurating the new business was Mayor of San Pedro Town Daniel Guerrero. On Friday, May 17th, a group of friends and business acquaintances gathered for the official ribbon cutting. We wish Mr. Flores great success, and acknowledge his enthusiasm in investing further in the town he has chosen to make his home.

Belize dentists embrace Orbit sugar free gum
Government dentists in Belize and other dental workers have welcomed Wrigley's Orbit sugar free gum as a healthy chewing gum alternative. This initiative came after a presentation made by Orbit and its Belize affiliate Santiago Castillo Group of Company during the Annual Dentist workshop hosted in San Pedro Town. The endorsement came from Doctor Rafael Samos, Senior Dental Surgeon in the Dental Department of the Ministry of Health. Orbit's mother company Wrigley, with its headquarters in the USA, has been in the chewing gum market since 1982 and over the years have evolved to producing more sugar free chewing gums. Thus Orbit's re-surfacing in the market in 2001 and is now replacing a Belizean favorite: PK. In fact, Belize, Aruba and Africa were three of the best markets for Wrigley's PK. However, it is now being replaced in Belize by Orbit, a more healthy sugar free gum.

University of North Georgia students on Study Abroad program on Ambergris Caye
A group of 13 students from the University of North Georgia, USA were on the island as part of a one week visit to Belize. After conducting some work in Belize City, the students visited Ambergris Caye where they collaborated with teachers and students on the island as part of the university's Study Abroad program. It is the eighth year that Carlise Womack Wynne, who is the Associate Director at the Center for Global Engagement at the University of North Georgia, has been bringing students to Belize. According to Wynne 12 of the student are pursuing a degree in teacher's education while one is a journalism student pursuing a university degree at the newly merged North George University. "We were working with teacher training, teacher support working one-on-one with students in classrooms in the area of reading, literature, mathematics and also assisted with sports day," said Wynne about some of the things the education students were engaged in. "Our journalism student worked with a local newspaper in the area of photojournalism. He got to document, through photographs part of the culture of Ambergris Caye. He also got to document the work the education students were doing in the classroom," added Wynne. In Belize City the teacher's education major students worked at Unity Presbyterian Primary School while on Ambergris Caye they worked mostly with teachers and students at Holy Cross Anglican Primary School.

ACES' Joshua Marin wins 8th Annual Reef Week Trivia Contest
Students from the various schools in San Pedro Town and Caye Caulker Village participated in the 8th Annual Trivia Contest as part of the celebrations for Reef Week. The contest started at 9AM on Tuesday, May 21st at the San Pedro Lion's Den. Competing was a total of ten students from six different schools, including Ambergris Caye Elementary School (ACES), Caye Caulker Roman Catholic School (CCRC), Isla Bonita Elementary School, New Horizon Seventh Day Adventist School, San Pedro Roman Catholic School (SPRC) and The Island Academy. The purpose of the competition is to promote the reef and marine life conservation through education.

Ambergris Today

New Belize-Mexico Bi-national Border Bridge 'Chactemal' Opens
The much anticipated Bi-national Border Bridge between Mexico and Belize opened on Wednesday, May 15, 2013. The Mexican Government had dispatched personnel from the Mexican Army to Belize to assist the Belizean government in the construction of a stretch of approximately 500 meters of highway that is located on the Belizean side of the northern border in the Santa Elena area of the Corozal District, connecting the new bridge.

Missing Body Murder Case on The Island
Police Report, San Pedro, Town, Belize - A 26-year-old woman of Boca Del Rio, San Pedro Town reported that sometime around 6:45pm on Sunday, May 19, 2013, she spoke with JEREMY BAPTIST, 25-year-old, Belizean unemployed of Boca Del Rio, San Pedro Town. She stated that at around 7:45pm he left to attend a party at the Campos residence located in the San Juan Area, San Pedro Town. She stated that she and Jeremy Baptist went to a party and returned home at 10:30pm and that was the last time she had heard or seen Jeremy Baptist.

Misc Belizean Sources

New Horizons participates in health care information exchange
Members of New Horizons partnered with Project HOPE and the American Academy of Family Physicians to establish an Advanced Life Support in Obstetrics exchange with health care providers in Dangriga, Belize May 21 and 22. The ALSO program is designed to help physicians, midwives, labor and delivery nurses, and other health care providers develop and maintain the knowledge and skills needed to manage potential emergencies during the perinatal period. "So anytime a mommy is having an emergency in birth, there is a lot of things that can happen," said Air Force Major (Dr.) Patrick Keller, preventative medicine physician from Lackland Air Force Base. "Understanding how to spot these problems, and understanding how to respond to them appropriately in multiple settings, is what [the program] is all about.

VIDEO: Blue Hole
Hello Divers! If you have ever wondered what it was like to go and see the Great Blue Hole of Belize. Take a look at this quick video. We run out there three times a week and love it! We would like to thank Slightly Stoopid for allowing us to use their track, "Ska Diddy", videographers Marty O'Farrell and Tony Rath, Astrum Helicopter tours of Belize, and most of all our all divers who make showing up to work a joy!

Ka'ana Interactive Map
They have a really well done, interactive map on their site. Ka'ana did a great job.

Showtime at Meluchi's
DJ Crispy's Birthday at Meluchi's was a wild night, and a packed palapa.

SHC Teachers' Day Trip
The Sacred Heart College teachers celebrated Teachers' Day with some zip lining and cave tubing at Nohoch Che'en. It was well deserved, and looks like they had some fun.

Channel 7

Escaped Jaguar Still Prowling, Expert Urges Caution
Tonight, the captive jaguar that escaped in south-western Belize is still on the loose - and 7news has learned that traps have not been deployed yet. The cat is a two to three year old female and the Chief Forest Officer could not tell us exactly when it escaped. But our information says it could be as many as six days ago. This afternoon, Belize's foremost Jaguar expert Omar Figueroa went to the area in Ringtail Village at mile 40 on the Hummingbird Highway in the Cayo District. Before leaving he discussed the case with us very generally, because at this point, he is just being brought into the picture.

Another Outrage In Vega-ville? DPM's Nephew Got Paid But Never Paved
Tonight there is another allegation of what has all appearances of fleecing of the public purse, coming out of Orange Walk. This time it involves a relative of the Deputy Prime Minister - who's also a road builder. The allegation is that Imer Hernandez got paid almost two hundred thousand dollars for a road, which hasn't been paved. Daniel Ortiz went looking for answers today:.. Daniel Ortiz reporting The San Antonio Road, which ties Orange Walk town with the villages in the western Sections of the Orange Walk District is a very important roadway. Hon. John Briceno - Area Rep., Orange Walk Central "The San Antonio Road borders both constituencies, the Orange Walk Central and the Orange Walk east but it is important to note that the San Antionio Road is a the responsibility of Central Government and the Ministry of Works."

On Thursday KHMH Will Assess Blame
By the middle of next week, the KHMH Board of Governors is expected to pinpoint who - if anyone - is accountable for the dozen baby deaths in the pediatric intensive care unit. It was announced today that a press conference will be held next Thursday to give those answers to the public. That's what came out of a meeting this morning convened by the Prime Minister, who returned to Belize yesterday. PM Barrow met with the Chairman, Chandra Nisbet Cansino and some members of the Board including the CEO in the Ministry of Health, Peter Allen. An official release says that The Prime Minister was updated on the progress of the investigation. The statement adds that "The PM has committed to assist with any interim arrangements to outsource urgent neonatal cases to private hospitals while the KHMH Unit is being made completely safe by remodeling, expansion and replacement of equipment."

American Retiree Victim of Sandhill Home Invasion
A 78 year old American retiree was the victim of a home invasion in Sandhill on Wednesday night. Around 7:00, 45 year old Brian Emmanuel was visiting Albert David Reich at his mile 20 home in Sandhill. When Emmanuel left, three Hispanic men held him up - one of them had a gun, and the other two had knives. They took him back to the house where they clubbed him across the head and told him to shout for Reich. Today, Reich told us what happened when he opened the door:� Voice of: Aggravated Burglary Victim "I was just about to go home when I saw a person was hailing the man so I turned back to hail him but when I heard the person calling the man by his name. As he opened the door I was stepping up to his verandah at that same time and at that same time a man came from the back and slapped me on the side of my head with a gun and pushed me inside of the man's house with him." Daniel Ortiz "What did they do and what did they want?" Voice of: Aggravated Burglary Victim "The man asked where the money was and where the chest was."

Charged for Murder Three Months Later
Viewers may remember 38 year-old Ernest Savery, the prison officer who was murdered on February 22, 2013. Well tonight, 24 year-old John Lorencio Martinez, a resident of Corozal, is at prison after he was taken to court on the charge of murder. As we reported, Savery was gunned down at around 10:00 p.m., in the night just a stone's throw from his home in Ladyville. He was walking out of his gate when his girlfriend tried to warn him that a gunman was attacking. Savery reportedly saw two young men walked up to him and one pulled out a firearm. He rushed towards the man pulling out the gun. They struggled for the gun, but he was fatally shot once in the stomach. Police investigated for 3 months, and they eventually charged Martinez with his murder. He was arraigned this afternoon before the Chief Magistrate who remanded him to prison until June 24.

"GSU Knocked Out My Teeth!"
A young man named Brandon Tillett is missing a front tooth tonight - after he claims the GSU knocked it out yesterday. Tillett works on South Creek doing road works but yesterday he was courting a female in the area. Her boyfriend allegedly claimed that Tillett threatened the young lady - and that's when the police came in. Without the benefit of his front tooth, Tillett told us what happened next. Brandon Tillett - Teeth knocked out by GSU "I saw a young lady and I was courting her and couple minutes after I saw the GSU rode passed us and they were looking for someone but I didn't think it was me. Then I saw they stopped by where I was and all my workmen were with me because I control my worksite then they took me and told me I was wanted for a robbery. I asked them how I will be wanted for a robbery and I haven't done anything then the man handcuffed me then the other man told him 'don't do him anything here, wait until we reach at our site at Queen St.' As I reached at Queen St. the man just grabbed my head and stoned my head against the cement wall and kicked me on the ground and the other three of them grabbed me and stoned me on the ground and stamped my face. I noticed my tooth was broken and after that I saw this and I felt unconscious because I felt knocked out. They were teasing me and taking my picture and trying to destroy evidence. They took advantage of me. They tore out the medical form and they told me that they would have let me go but I shouldn't tell anyone anything about what happened. The men in the office were laughing at me and taking picture of my tooth."

Seine Byte Village Councilor Alleges Police Mistreatment
Tonight, a village councilor from Seine Byte Village is alleging that police have taken charge of her property without explanation. Police have their own story, and we'll get to that, but first to Laverne Arzu. She was just elected to the village council on a UDP slate, but has a grievance going back some months - when she alleges that police took her pickup without authority. She came all the way to Belize City to get her grievance heard in the media today. Laverne Arzu - Villager Councilor, Seine Byte "They didn't come to ask me for who the vehicle belong to, they just came and roughed up my son and beat my son and took away my vehicle - they jumped into my vehicle because it was on March 1st they took it away and I had some documents in there with $500 in there to license, insure and transfer it the same day." Jules Vasquez "But on what grounds did they take your vehicle? What explanation did they give you?" Laverne Arzu "They didn't give me any explanations all that they did was they told my brother that the vehicle was for him, that is mine - personal because my name is on it and I bought it."

UB Responds To Charges
Eight days ago, The University of Belize came under fire from one of its own professors and some of its students. They held a press conference to say that the University was gouging its bachelor's degree students, first, by not accepting transfer credits, and, second, by charging bachelor's students more for the same courses, which associates degree students take for less. Today the University released a considered response, and it offers no apologies. The statement says the transfer of credits is based on a "review of course outlines by�course content experts to ensure a minimum of 80%...alignment with the UB syllabus. In cases a course outline does not meet the 80% benchmark, then it is not accepted. The University has committed to digitizing credit transfer process and "if individuals can cite specific cases of inconsistencies in credit transfers, the matter will be investigated on an individual basis." And about the different grades in charges for courses, the university says that has been the police and it hasn't changed in many years.

Budding Belizean Biologists
Over the years, we've told you about the reef audits, comprehensive reviews of the condition of the reef. But we've only seen the finished product, today we found out how it's done by field biologists. Today we spoke to a group of them before they headed out to Sergeant's Caye for coral reef monitoring under the umbrella of the healthy reefs initiative: Dr. Melanie McField - Marine Biologist "The point for us is that we do the report card of the health of the reef every other year and we use the data collected by our partner organizations including NGO's and Fisheries Department and the University of Belize. So those are the groups that are here that are doing the training."

GSU Catches Two Hot Weapons
Earlier this week, you saw Roy Bennett complain about GSU harassment. Well, today the GSU sent out a release saying they searched an empty lot adjacent to his home on Gill Street where they found a very hot black Taurus 9mm pistol loaded with a magazine containing 10 live rounds. A black plastic bag was also found next to the pistol containing fifteen live 9mm rounds. No one was in the area and it was labeled as "Found Property". According to police, the firearm found is believed to have been placed at the area by one of the key members of the Gill Street Gang. An investigation was conducted where it was discovered that the firearm is a service firearm and is part of the Belize Police Department, Belize City inventory. Additional information indicates that the firearm was recently used in a murder incident that occurred in the area. Investigations continue.

FFB Needs Cash For Gold Cup
The 2013 Gold Cup is drawing ever nearer, and the Belize National Team will make football history when it participates and plays against powerhouses such as the US, Costa Rica and Cuba in some of the finest football stadiums in North America. And while that is the end goal, getting there is another thing completely. The problem is that the Football Federation of Belize is in need of hundreds of thousands of dollars to meet all the expenses for the trip to the US. And so they're taking a page out of the book from the Special Envoy for Women and Children: they've planned a football telethon. Today, the President of the FFB told us why you should support the team: Ruperto Vicente - President, FFB "We apologize for not having it earlier because of the logistics and we're also including international partners in this telethon so it's not only here in Belize that this is going to happen. It's going to happen at the same time in Los Angeles, Chicago and New York as well."

Groundbreaking In Time For Village Council ElectionsVillage council elections are in full swing and that has a lot to do with why you're seeing a hubbub of political activity in various villages. Today it was Crooked Tree - where they've been without a police station for years. But village council elections are on Sunday, so what better time for a groundbreaking for a new station? And while it is electioneering, it's also for the public good, which is one thing the aspiring and outgoing Chairmen could agree on. George Guest - Outgoing Crooked Tree Village Chairman "It's to build a new police station which Crooked Tree has been waiting for for the last six years, I've been rigorously liaising with the police." Reporter "As a resident, a villager of this - how happy are you?"

Channel 5

Prime Minister speaks on neonatal deaths at K.H.M.H. and offers support
One of the biggest and outrageous incidents coming out of the public health system was revealed on Monday. Since then COLA, the Special Envoy for Women and Children and many others including many more grieving parents have come forth expressing their ire on the situation calling for heads to roll. Today, Prime Minister Dean Barrow, [...]

87 year old America national robbed in his house at gunpoint
And while no alert occurred in time to save some of newborns, the neighbor of an elderly American Citizen was prevented from alerting him of the impending danger at his doorstep. No life was lost but a home invasion at gunpoint is one of the most harrowing experiences that can occur to a person.� U.S. [...]

Housekeeper destroys security camera in apartment building; was she planning to commit a heinous crime?
If you fail the first time, then try again. Well the second attempt by a housekeeper had not only been successful but it also cost her a trip to the police department and her job. The building near the stoplight on Vernon Street houses several businesses and apartments. The security cam on Tuesday recorded forty [...]

Deputy Prime Minister refuses interview with reporter
Gaspar Vega - he is the very powerful Deputy Prime Minister and a high-level financier of the United Democratic Party. He is also the man whose name has come up time and time again in scandals, controversies and allegations of corruption. And he has also gained notoriety for an interview given to the media in [...]

Misappropriation of funds in Orange Walk; San Antonio Road funds diverted
�There are more allegations being levied against Deputy Prime Minister Gaspar Vega. This time it's not about Rosewood or lucrative land scams, but about the alleged misappropriation of funds allocated for road works in Orange Walk. Vega's nephew, Imer Hernandez, was paid a significant amount of work to pave San Antonio Road in Early 2012, [...]

�Monies used instead to pave Deputy Prime Minister's street
But all that still hasn't answered the question - where is the money which was allocated for work on the San Antonio Road? We did some more digging today and that led us to the Ministry of Works in Belmopan.� For payment to be made, the work has to be certified by an engineer from [...]

One man arraigned for murder of former prison officer�
And while the allegation appears to be criminal, it seems that only hard crime gets a suspect arrested. In court today, twenty-four year old John Martinez, accused of killing former prison officer Ernest Savery on February twenty-second, was been charged for murder.� Martinez, who appeared before Chief Magistrate Anne Marie Smith unrepresented, was read a [...]

�While another is committed to stand trial for murder in Supreme Court
Also in court, a Belize City youth was committed today to stand trial for murder in the September session of the Supreme Court. Eighteen year old Paul Martinez is accused of the stabbing murder of Raheem Smith in 2012. And late Thursday evening, when the teenager appeared before Chief Magistrate Anne Marie Smith, his case [...]

Seine Bight Village Councilor tells cops she wants back her pickup truck
And though the troubles of one Seine Bight resident do not involve capital punishment, she's still screaming bloody murder. Recently, Lavern Arzu was elected to be� part of the Seine Bight Village Council, but the hard working woman says she's been offended and wronged by the police department in her municipality. Arzu alleges the cops [...]

UB responds to serious concerns of course credit transfer by students
Students of the University of Belize also share the sentiments of the Seine Bight resident, but they want cash from their institution. The UB students have raised some serious concerns with the institution, with the focus on what they call chaos regarding the course credit transfer system and they were also very critical about the [...]

OCEANA sells $800,000 trawler to Placencia Coop for $1
The United Nations Secretary General reported in 2006 that ninety five percent of damage to seamount ecosystems worldwide is caused by deep sea bottom trawling.� And that is why five years later, Oceana Belize bought two trawlers at a cost of eight hundred thousand dollars. The non-governmental organization ushered in the age of a ban [...]

Sugar barge drifts to beach
And while the trawlers move from dragging along the coastline to non-destructive productivity for the Placencia Coop., the same can't be said for the sugar barge that is often seen slowly drudging along the Belize City Harbor. The rope from the rusty sugar barge broke from the barge that was tugging it earlier today. And [...]

Monitoring the barrier reef; training held for environmentalists
And about a hundred yards away as the barge was making its way from the shoreline, a group of over a dozen environmentalists were returning from an intensive training that would help them to monitor the Barrier reef and fragile offshore ecosystems. It was the collaboration of the Fisheries Department, CZMAI, The Toledo Institute for [...]

2013 conch season closes 1 month earlier
The 2013 conch season, which usually expires at the end of June has been closed a month earlier.� The harvest for this year, approximately a million pounds of crustacean meat, has been realized across all five fishing cooperatives.� A notice has since been made public for fisher-folks who are still at sea, as well as [...]

Former Guatemalan President extradited to the US to face money laundering charges
Former Guatemalan president Alfonso Portillo was flown out of the country en route to the United States today, less than a week after his predecessor, dictator Efrain Rios Montt's conviction for genocide was thrown out.� Portillo's extradition is a result of charges he laundered seventy million dollars from U.S. banks during his term in office.� [...]

Halo in the sky
While the fortunes of two of Guatemala's former presidents have plunged into darkness, life has been brighter for us here in neighboring Belize. If you are someone who had your head in the clouds or were looking into the skies around midday today, you would have noticed what appeared to be a ring around the [...]

2nd Annual National Inspiration Telethon to be held on June 1st
If you didn't find artistry or mental stimulation by the halo, perhaps you will find inspiration in the second annual national Inspiration Telethon.�� Under the auspices of the Special Envoy for Women and Children, Kim Simplis Barrow and CARE-Belize, the telethon will be held at the Bliss Center for the Performing Arts on June first. [...]

LOVE FM

Office of PM, Ministries of Works and Local Government Are Silent On Monies Paid Out For Job Undone
Yesterday we told you about rehabilitation of two roads in Orange Walk that should have been completed by now but haven't. While Director of Projects in the Ministry of Works, Deon Pascascio explained that it was a matter of modification in the contracts that held back the project, it...

Love FM's CEO Selected as District Governor for Rotary
A new District Governor has been selected for the Rotary year 2015-2016 for Belize, Honduras and Guatemala. Past President, Rene Villanueva Senior was unanimously among all the countries to run the Rotary's administrative role for that year. Today, Chairman of the Belize Rotary ...

Belizeans Witness Halo In The Sky
If you had a chance to look up at the skies this morning, you will notice what appears to be a rainbow around the sun. The phenomenon is drawing the attention of the public and even the social media is overwhelmed with pictures and comments. And while many may be wondering what it is ...

Prime Minister of Belize Returns Home and Updated on Situation In Neonatal Unit
Three days ago, the KHMH sent out a press release that shocked the country: twelve neonatal deaths were recorded in its Neonatal Intensive Care Unit from an outbreak of a bacterium called Enderobacter Cloacae. An investigation has been launched by the Quality Assurance Unit and it is expected the...

Guyanese Minister Ends Working Visit in Belize
The Minister of Agriculture from Guyana is in Belize on a working visit. We hear more in this report from Arturo Cantun. ARTURO CANTUN "Guyanese Minister of Agriculture, Dr. Leslie Ramsammey is in the country as at Wednesday. Ramsey spoke briefly to Love News this mornin...

Annual Cancer Walk for Belize District Set For The Next Sunrise
This month is being observed as Cancer Month and one of the signatures activities of the cancer society is the annual cancer walk that is held in every district. The Belize District will hold its cancer walk tomorrow early in the morning. Public Relations Officer of the Belize Cancer Society, Dae...

ET Arraigned on Charges of Robbery Among Others
Forty-five year old Basil Willis, a.k.a. "ET", was arraigned on charges of robbery, wounding and handling stolen goods when he appeared in court today. Willis pled not guilty to robbery and wounding but guilty to handling stolen goods. Although he has a long rap sheet, Magistrate Dale...

Wood Carver of Northern Belize Faces Murder Charge
Twenty-four year old John Martinez, a wood carver of Corozal Town, has been charged with the murder of Ernest "Seedy" Savery. Martinez was arraigned today. He was remanded until June 24. Savery, who resided in Ladyville, was shot and killed on February 22, 2013. He had just exit...

Public Service Information Day Celebrated in Northern Belize
Public Officers in Orange Walk are observing public service information day as we hear in this report from Dalila Ical. DALILA ICAL "Throughout the country government departments have been holding Public Service Information Day in May. The event leads to International Public Service...

Canada and St. Lucia Facilitate Workshop With Environmentalists in Belize
For the next three days environmentalists are meeting for a national workshop at the Belize Biltmore Plaza Hotel to review the existing Environmental Conventions that Belize has signed onto. The focus of that review is to see how best they can merge portions of those existing Conventions to...

CTV3

Funds For San Antonio Road Diverted To Clarke Street Where The DPM Lives
Tonight residents of San Antonio Road in Orange Walk are demanding answers from Government particularly the Ministry of Works. They want to know why is it that their road has not been fixed when a large sum of funds has been paid out for the upgrading of the road. CTV3 News received documents of what appear to be irregularities in the ministry itself. The documents show that back in 2012 the Ministry of Works paid out $179,951.55 to Imer Hernandez Development Company Limited. Now, if the name rings a bell, that is because Imer Hernandez is the nephew of Deputy Prime Minister Gaspar Vega. He is the same individual that the previous town council, under the helms of Philip De La Fuente, paid $50,000 to as a partial payment for the rehabilitation of San Antonio Road. At a total cost of $351,000, Hernandez's company was to pave 0.70 miles of San Antonio Road which stretches from the Orange Walk Fire Station to the outskirts of Orange Walk Town before entering Yo Creek Road. The $50,000 payment was made on January 31st 2012. The documents we received show, that less than one month after the $50,000 partial payment was made by the town council, the Ministry of Works paid out a whopping $179,951.55 to Imer Hernandez Development Company Limited for the rehabilitation of San Antonio Road which to date the facelift is pending. When the news broke out last night residents were taken by surprise and today when we revisited the area, they laid out their demands.

Brother And Sister Detained For Assaulting A Police Officer
A man is under arrest along with his sister after he reportedly punched a police officer when he was being detained. On May 22nd a police officer attached to Orange Walk Police formation was heading to work when his attention was drawn to one Lorenzo Martinez, Belizean laborer of Chula Vista Area Corozal Town, who was walking along with his sister, Gloria Martinez, Belizean domestic also of Chula Vista Corozal Town. The Police officer approached Martinez and informed him that he is wanted for the crime of theft and that he was being placed under arrest. Martinez then reportedly punched the officer and a struggle ensued. Gloria Martinez then held on to the police officer as she reportedly stated that the police will not arrest her brother. The officer called for backup and as a result both persons were arrested and escorted to the Orange Walk Police Station pending charges.

Illegal Weapons Found By Orange Walk Police
Tonight, Police are seeking assistance from the community to find out who is the owner or owners of illegal magazines, ballistic armour, and blank firing attachments for M-16 rifle that were found today. A team of police officers were on patrol and visited Juventus Street in the Pasadita Area of Orange Walk Town. A search was conducted on the area which led to the discovery of six (6) empty magazines for 5.56mm rounds, one (1) ballistic armour and (1) blank firing attachment for M-16 rifle. No one was found in the area and the items were labeled as found property.

Guatemala Wants The Opposition To Take A Stance On The ICJ
During the his quarterly press conference held a few weeks ago, the Prime Minister of Belize revealed that there will be no Belize Guatemala Referendum on October 6th 2013 to take Guatemala's unfounded claim to the International Court of Justice. During a meeting held at the headquarters of the Organization of American States in Washington D.C, Guatemala officially informed the OAS and Belize of its decision to withdraw from the initial agreement to hold the simultaneous referendum on October sixth. A few weeks later, Guatemala's Foreign Minister Fernando Carrera expressed to the Secretary General of the OAS Miguel Insulsa, that his country does want to take its claim to the ICJ and that they intend to keep the Special Agreement signed in 2008 intact. All indications are that there is a one time window of opportunity for the simultaneous referendum to take place in 2014. If both countries can't agree on the proposed new date, the referendum may be delayed for an indefinite period, according to Minister of Foreign Affairs, Hon. Wilfred Elrington.

Public Service Information Day Hosted In Orange Walk
Public Service week will be observed in June, with several activities to mark the occasion celebrated under the theme "As Agents of Change - Public Officers Build, Transform, Create, and Deliver Quality Service". But before that, government departments today hosted students and the general public at the Barracks here in Orange Walk for Public Service Information Day. The aim of the event which is celebrated countrywide is to educate visitors on the services that are provided by the different government departments. Despite this mornings inclement weather Orange Walkenos came out in numbers eager to learn more about the Public Services and the important role it plays in the development of the country. And just as eager to disseminate the information were members of the Immigration Department, Post Office, Human Rights, Ministry of Education, the Forest Department and even the Minister of Public Service and Elections and Boundaries, Hon. Charles Gibson.

Nahil Mayab And Panecia Restaurants Recognised By TripAdvisor
Tonight we are exultant to announce that two establishments from Orange Walk Town, namely Nahil Mayab and Panecia were bestowed an award by TripAdvisor in its 2013 Tripadvisor certificate of excellence. The Certificate of Excellence award is given to outstanding hospitality businesses that have received praise and recognition in reviews by TripAdvisor Travellers. Winners of the award range from one-room bed and breakfasts to 6,000-room hotels, from bakeries to Michelin star restaurants and hidden attractions to world-renowned parks and museums. TripAdvisor is the world's largest travel site, enabling travelers to plan and have the perfect trip. TripAdvisor offers trusted advice from real travelers and a wide variety of travel choices and planning features with seamless links to booking tools. TripAdvisor branded sites make up the largest travel community in the world, with more than 200 million unique monthly visitors.

Is UB Offering Affordable Education To Students?
Tertiary level education is seemingly high here in Belize and often at times, students do not have the resources to even contemplate pursuing further education. As the leading tertiary level institution, the University of Belize is also facing problems of its own. The issue of credit transfers has been for so long discussed by the ATLIB members and the University in which an agreement has been made. In reference to the agreement, it states that if 80 % of the course offered at a junior college level matches that of the university's course, then UB should accept the credits. That however, has not been happening and in several instances, students have been obliged to take the same course over at UB if they would like to pursue a bachelor's degree at the institution. In addition, students are charged the price of a bachelor's course but yet they take an associate's level course. Professor Patrick Menzies is an instructor in the Information Systems Department at the University of Belize. He is confident that if students and parents unite there could be a change at the institution. In a case study conducted by students of Menzies classes, alarming if not astounding irregularities in the university's financial records were uncovered and today, he brought them out to light.