FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Life's a Beach in Belize
Ahh, the beach�it calls to you daily - teasing and tempting with the sound of waves crashing ashore�shimmering shades of blue and green waters warm enough to lounge in for hours (SPF please), trade winds blowing, perhaps the simple addition of a refreshing beverage or two, a good book or trashy novel�hey, even a hammock between two coconut trees or at the end of a rickety wooden dock. However, Belize's shorelines are different from the postcard visuals most visitors expect. Ambergris Caye doesn't have a typical 'beach' scene with rows of white sand edging blue waters as far as the eye can see. There are some spots like that, but our waters are home to turtle grass, where fish and rays can play close to shore. Our Barrier Reef protects us from large crashing waves, so docks line our shores where you can jump in and play with the wild marine life.

Ambergris Today

New Garbage Compactor Added to San Pedro Sanitary Fleet
Growing pains of booming tourism industry on San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize - As the development continues to increases on the island, so does the need for more infrastructure and yes, more vehicles to meet the demands of services provided. The sanitation department of the island is one feeling the pressure with the growing amounts of garbage being produced. To meet these demands of garbage collection, the San Pedro Town Council has acquired four garbage compactors, one of which was delivered to the island today, April 19, 2016. San Pedro Mayor Danny Guerrero and Deputy Mayor Gary Greif were on hand at the unveiling and indicated that the service vehicle will be put to use immediately.

San Pedro High School Talking Business
by Madison Pearl. Leave it to my parents to get me to go to school even on the weekend! I was not excited to go to the San Pedro High School's Business Fair on my day off at all, but as soon as I got there I realized it wasn't such a bad idea. I'm going to high school in a few years and now I'm really looking forward to it! These kids had real business plans and they were so creative. Models of their buildings, flat screen displays, samples of their food, even mascots and I was in the middle of all of it! I totally took a selfie with a little monkey dude! The seniors and juniors at the San Pedro High School had to present business plans to the public and judges. Some of them went as far as making jingles and commercials for their businesses. They opened Facebook pages and everything! We walked around the booths and got the kids to explain their plans to us and we could tell they put a lot of work into their projects.

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

SBDC Workshop: Basics of Labour Law
April 21st, 2016. Time: 1pm - 4pm. PRICE: FREE. Location: BTEC Building, ITVet Compound, Freetown Road. Belize City, Belize. This informational session on Labour Law will cover various acts under Labour Legislation which includes: Chapter 287- SHOPS ACT Chapter 297- LABOUR ACT (including Amendment #3 of 2011) Chapter 298 - SETTLEMENT OF DISPUTES IN ESSENTIAL SERVICES ACT Chapter 299 - TRADE DISPUTES (ARBITRATION AND INQUIRY) ACT Chapter 304 - TRADE UNIONS AND EMPLOYERS' ORGANIZATIONS (REGISTRATION, RECOGNITION AND STATUS) ACT The Labour Department's mandate, among many others, is enforcement and compliance with these legislation's. This will all be related to Belize's international obligations as a member of the International Labour Organization (ILO). Additionally, the session will provide an overview of as it relates to the rights and responsibilities of employers and employees.

Drones banned within the boundaries of ALL Archaeological Reserves
The Institute of Archaeology, NICH would like to advise all Tour Operators, Tour Guides and the General Public that to ensure the safety and security of all visitors, the use of DRONES IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED within the boundaries of ALL Archaeological Reserves.

Chaa Creek Eco Kids Camp 2016
Chaa Creek is accepting essays for their 2016 Eco Kids Summer Camp. If you know any kids that are interested, let them know that all they have to do is write a 300 word essay about why they want to be an Eco Kid. "It's almost time for our Eco-Kids summer camp 2016! Kids between 9 & 12 submit your entries to [email protected]!"

And so ends another great Birdathon, last of three
If you call yourself a Belizean birder, then Dawson's Creek and Lamanai Savannahs should be on your eBird list for this year. These are places of sublime beauty, where birding is explained by a second definition. Dawnson's Creek just before dawn. There is something about how light starts spreading over the sky and how silhouettes play with shadows of color over the vast landscape, that attracts your attention. Lamanai Savannahs at dawn.

Book launch of Ms. Kesha Peyrefitte's book
Last Thursday Embassy staff had the opportunity to attend the book launch of Ms. Kesha Peyrefitte's book titled, "What If..I Love Her and Other Stories" at the National Heritage Library. Ms. Peyrefitte's book of short stories is the first book published by a Belizean this year in Belize. Congratulations and keep up the good work. Developing and promoting literary arts is important!

Wild Flower Fashion Show
The Imagine Greater Modelling Agency is having their Wild Flower Fashion Show this Saturday at Cahal Pech. It starts at 7:00pm, and the after party will be at Thirsty Thursdays. "IGMA Fashion Show event is about displaying a collections of newly designed clothing, and showcasing Belizean Models at their best. Promoting Health, beauty and Wild Flowers."

U.S. Citizen Town Hall Meeting- Cayo
Friday, May 20 at 10:30 AM - 12:30 PM. The U.S. Embassy will be hosting a Town Hall Meeting for American Citizens on May 20th in Cayo at the The Aguada Hotel, Santa Elena. If you are an American Citizen residing in Belize in this area please join us.

Channel 7

Zika: CDC Posts Travel Advisory For Belize
Since November of last year, we have been reporting extensively on the Zika virus. As we told you, the presence of Zika has been confirmed in all neighboring countries, but not in Belize. Well, all that has changed because the Centers for Disease Control sent out a Zika travel notice today - putting Belize on the map of countries reporting active Zika mosquito transmission. It's troubling news for Belize, but the Ministry of Health isn't taking the CDC's word for it. Health CEO Ramon Figueroa told us that they knew this travel advisory would be released but that they will await the test results from CARPHA before they confirm that there are Zika cases in Belize. Figueroa says they remain vigilant and have sent 5 more samples to CARPHA this week. Now, Zika isn't as severe as, say�dengue. The symptoms are fever, rash, joint pain and red eyes, and, in most cases, the illness is mild with symptoms lasting less than a week.

No Charge Yet For Man Who Cops Say Shot "Shiney"
No one has been charged as yet for Gerald "Shiney" Tillett's murder. The alleged killer is still hospitalized in a stable condition and is under heavy police guard. As we told you, on Saturday night the reputed leader of the George Street Gang was hanging out at the Wadani Shed in Dangriga along with the owner David Rodriguez and another friend Carlos Sharp. They were playing a round of 'Dice' when a gunman opened fire under the shed. Tillet was shot to the head while Rodriguez and Sharp were both shot to the chest. That is when another one of Tillett's friends shot the gunman in the back twice - with a licensed firearm.

SSG Boss Says: Not Involved In Shiney Murder
Now as we told you Tillett's murder in Dangriga might be related to some gang rivalry in Belize City. That's because Tillett is the reputed George Street Gang leader and police say his alleged shooter is associated with the Southside Gangsters - both gangs are known rivals. Here's how the commander of the GSU put it yesterday:... Supt. Mark Flowers, Commander, GSU: "We know that he is a Dangriga resident who have lived in Belize City and who is also closely associated, that is a suspected shooter, with the South Side gang." And while that narrative seems straightforward, the man said to be the leader of the Southside Gangsters Wababa Norales called 7News today and told us the cops have it all wrong. Norales told our news Director Jules Vasquez that while he does have, quote, "controllance of Griga" end quote, he was in the city at the park at the time of the murder, and was as surprised as anyone else to hear about it. He says he doesn't know who is behind the murder - but acknowledged that Tillett has many enemies. He also said that while the Southside Gangsters have an ongoing rivalry with George Street so do many other gangs.

Grijlava Attorney Says Noh Mul Appeal Likely
On Thursday - UDP Politician Denny Grijalva, his wife Emelda and project manager Javier Nunez will go before the Chief Magistrate in Belize City to be sentenced. Nunes has been found guilty of, causing the removal of earth from an ancient monument without a permit, while Grijalva and his wife are guilty of "removing earth from an ancient monument...and wilful damaging on an ancient monument." The monument in question is Noh Mul and Chief Magistrate Anne Marie Smith found, quote, "The damage to the mound is irreversible as the excavation has resulted in only the core being left.... the Crown..proved all elements of the offences beyond a reasonable doubt and therefore finds the defendants guilty of all charges." And while the defence for Gijlava's team argues that the equipment found at the site was commandeered by villagers and used without their consent, the Chief Magistrate found, quote, "if the Maya site was destroyed by the agents of the defendants, can the defendant's be held liable? The Court is of the view that the company and the directors i.e. Mr Denny Grijalva, Ms Emelda Grijalva and the project manager Mr Javier Nunez are to be held liable and accountable for the acts of its servants...for the criminal acts of those who illegally excavated Noh Mul. They are to be held accountable."

Guatemala Rejects Sarstoon Peace Protocol
Guatemala has rejected Belize's proposals for keeping the peace on the Sarstoon. As we reported, on Friday, April 8, talks were held at the OAS Adjacency Zone office, and Belize put forward an 11-point draft proposal for a protocol on the Sarstoon River. The Guatemalan's counter-proposal amounts to a rejection of the protocol. They want all Belizean vessels to check in with them before proceeding down the Sarstoon. It's a major disappointment for Belize, and just last week when Foreign Minister Wilfred Elrington revealed the draft proposal, he told us that was optimistic that it would be well received on the other side of the border: Daniel Ortiz: "Based on your discussions with the Guatemalan representatives, are you gentlemen hopeful that this modus Vivendi as proposed will meet its success?"

Lozano Blames 7News For House Shot Up
Last night, we told you about gunmen who shot up the Lozano home on Marage Road in Ladyville. That happened in the early morning hours of Saturday, and the family worried that the assailants might return for another attempt, since no one was injured during the weekend. Today, Cynthia Lozano sat down with 7News and she described what happened that night after she had only just gone to bed: "I got home at ten to two that Sunday morning. I went to bed about 2:45-2:50 thereabout, and was awaken by loud kicks at my door. Right after the kicks, my husband got up to find out what the noise was about. Immediately we heard three gun shots, he came out the door and I followed behind. I looked for my kids and saw they were okay. By that time they had knocked all the lights off. I called my son who wasn't at home, because my other boy thought he came home and it was him outside. He said 'mom I'm still in Cayo'. I then called the police, they asked me a few questions, I told them 'I'm not opening my door until you guys get here', of which they did. What transpired there, I really and truly don't know, like I told you, I was awaken from my sleep. I honestly believe they would have executed the job that they came to do and everyone in my home would have been dead, because you cannot leave someone to tell the tale. That was my worst fear that night."

Felix Brothers Will Stand Trial For Mark Gentle's Murder
Today several charges were dropped against the Felix brothers - Maurice and Emory. They were both charged for shooting 27 year old Mark Gentle and 34 year old Calvin Cumberbatch on May 25th, 2015. Both Gentle and Cumberbatch were sitting on a step in front of their house that Monday night when a vehicle pulled up and 2 men let off a barrage of gunfire, and sped off. Cumberbatch was treated and released for his injuries but Mark Gentle, known as Mark Vernon died a week after on June 8th 2015. Now in terms of the court case against the Felix brothers - they were initially charged with 2 counts of attempted murder, 2 counts of dangerous harm, and 1 count of use of deadly means of harm. But today at the Preliminary Inquiry, those charges were dropped in relation to the shooting of Calvin Cumberbatch.

Court Says Cruise Visitor's Cannabis Cool
31 year-old American Cruise Tourist Ashley Williams received a stroke of judicial generosity when she was arraigned today before Magistrate Carlon Mendoza. She was caught with a very small quantity of marijuana. Williams, a resident of Virginia was taken to court today on a single count of possession of a controlled drug. When the charge was read to her, she told the court that she came on today's cruise ship from Virginia, and that she bought 1.8 grams of cannabis - less than one tenth of an ounce - in Belize City, not knowing that it is still illegal in this country. After consideration, Magistrate Mendoza dismissed the charge, and cautioned Williams that she now knows it to be illegal, and that she must not be arrested for being in possession of the drug in Belize again. Magistrate Mendoza commented to court reporters that he reason he dismissed the charge without any sanctions was that the cannabis was sold openly to her, against her knowledge of its illegality. He added that police should start to crack down on persons who are selling drugs.

Dr. Z Links Up With BPP
The yellow and green political camp have gotten the technical expertise of one very prominent Belizean educator and economist. He is Dr. Louis Zabaneh whose official membership in the independent party was heralded in a press release today. He has been named the, quote, "Sustainable Human Development Advisor to the Executive.

Sales Rep Charged For Sex With Minor
A man is spending his first night in prison today after he was accused of having sex with a 13 year old girl. The minor reported to police that 28 year old Sales Representative Shane Gentle had sex with her twice on March 24th . A medical examination on the child confirmed that she had been carnally known. Today the Belize City resident of Tibuce Street appeared in court without an attorney. In court he was read two charges of unlawful sexual intercourse. No plea was taken and he was offered no bail, due to the nature of the offences. As a result he will wait out the remaining days until his next court session on remand at the Belize Central Prison. The case was adjourned until May 17th.

"Shiney" Always Shied Away From Spotlight
Today - as they did yesterday - the family of 36 year old Gerald "Shiney" Tillett declined an interview with 7News. They told us "you can say what you want." And indeed the public image of someone labeled as a gangster always looms much larger than the person's family life. Much of that image is informed by legend and public speculation. From a public perspective, for all his renown, Shiny never gravitated to the spotlight - in fact he shied away from it, and as far as we know, he only ever gave one interview to the media. We dug into our archives today to look at some of the few public appearances he made:... Tillett was the father of 10 children. His funeral will be held on Saturday at 10:30 at St. John's Cathedral, and he will be buried right at Lord's Ridge Cemetery.

Vision and Vice On Vacation
A Canadian Pop music duo calling themselves "Vice and Vision" are in Belize seeking inspiration on a musical tour of Belize. They stopped by our studio and spoke to us about the work they've been doing, and why they chose Belize in the first place. They plan to be in Belize at least for the next month or so. But before they go they hope to perform a show at the Prison. They told us more about the idea.

Fundraiser To Save Cleyon
There will be a BBQ and Pastry sale this Saturday for little Cleyon Marage. As we had told you, Cleyon urgently needs a $100,000 bone marrow transplant and his parents are trying to raise that money, but they need your help. So if you want to assist the family you can stop by the fundraiser this Saturday at 42 Cleghorn Street from 10 to 3 in the afternoon. 12 year old Cleyon was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia in 2014. He is receiving treatment in Merida.

Not Bashing Assad
Before we close tonight, we must make a clarification to a story which we aired last night. We told you that Assad Shoman, the Opposition Leader's representative in the Belize/Guatemala bilateral talks, is recommending a change to Belize's Maritime Areas Act. We reported that he thinks it prudent to change the law so that Belize claims its full 12 miles of territorial seas. We must specify that he was referring to the twelve miles of seas between the Sarstoon and the Ranguana Caye. Right now in the law's current state, Belize is only claiming 3 miles of its territorial waters as way to provide a framework for the negotiation of a definitive agreement on territorial differences with Guatemala. Now that these negotiations have failed, Shoman is recommending that the law be amended so that Belize can claim the other 9 miles of territorial seas that exists between the Sarstoon and the Ranguana.

Channel 5

O.A.S. Secretary-General Visits Belize
Secretary-General of the Organization of American States Luis Almagro arrived in Belize today as part of a scheduled two-day visit to promote the culture of peace at the Adjacency Zone. [...]

Police Remain on High Alert Following Murder of GSG Boss
Police are being deployed in many neighborhoods on the south side of Belize City, as they brace up for any eventuality, following the murder of Gerald "Shiny" Tillett in Dangriga [...]

Cops Say Closing Businesses Had Nothing to Do With Murder
Following the murders of Gerald Shiny Tillett and Kadeem Castillo, at least two clubs-Dino's Night Club and Thirsty Thursday-were reportedly closed down just after midnight on Saturday. Several businesses in [...]

Coastguard Officer Accidentally Shoots Himself
A Coast Guard Petty Officer Class Three is tonight recovering at the K.H.M.H. after he was injured at the Coast Guard's Forward Operating Base in Consejo. From a very preliminary [...]

Felix Brothers Will Stand Trial for Murder
The Felix brothers, Maurice and Emory, will have to stand trial for the murder of Mark Gentle and attempted murder of Pamela Cumberbatch at the June session of the Supreme [...]

Are You Surprised by Guatemala’s Rejection of the Sarstoon Proposals?
And tonight question is: Are you surprised by Guatemala’s rejection of the Sarstoon�proposals? Send your comments and responses using your SMART phones to 8686 or post your vote on our [...]

CDC Confirms Zika in Belize
The Center for Disease Control in the U.S. has confirmed that there is zika in Belize. The Ministry of Health, however, has not confirmed that report because it says it [...]

Denny Grijalva Guilty of Razing Ancient Mayan Site
After three years of constant adjournments and delays, U.D.P. Orange Walk Central political caretaker Denny Grijalva was found guilty, along with his wife Emelda Grijalva and Project manager Javier Nunez. [...]

Punishment May Not Fit the Crime
The next step will be mitigation pleas followed by sentencing. But here's the thing. Under the NICH Act, Grijalva could face fines of up to ten thousand dollars. Banner says [...]

Alrick Smith Case for Malicious Prosecution in Court
It was big news in July 2014 when an entire family, seven persons from the Lake Independence area, was locked down after a firearm was found in the home. It [...]

Arlie Petters Appointed Trinity Dean of Academic Affairs
Belizean born mathematical physicist Doctor Arlie Petters has been appointed to dean of academic affairs and associate vice provost for undergraduate education at Trinity College in North Carolina, U.S.A. �Doctor [...]

Taiwanese Technical Team Complete Helicopter Assembly
After just about two weeks in Belize, a seventeen member team from the Republic of China on Taiwan - comprising engineers, technicians, mechanics and pilots - has completed the assembly [...]

Police Investigate Accident in the City
Up to news time, statements were being recorded by the police on an accident that occurred just before three this afternoon in Belize City. A motorcyclist was knocked down at [...]

Santorino Sotz Says Police Are Corrupt
Police Constables Hallet King and Leonard Nunez were the two officers charged for the vicious killing of eighteen year old Baptist High School student Hilberto Sotz inside the police station [...]

Taste of Belize 2016 Will Be Bigger and Better
This year, the Belize Tourism Board will be bringing back the Taste of Belize, a competitive culinary show. Chefs, bakers and bartenders from across the country will face off in [...]

Jimmy Morales Comments for Donald Trump
To close the news tonight, we report on a recent statement made by Guatemalan President Jimmy Morales. Morales was interviewed by a New York Times reporter and was asked specifically [...]

CTV3

Kim Simplis Barrow Visits Schools In The North
Yesterday Special Envoy for Families and Children Kim Simplis Barrow, the founder of the Lifeline foundation, visited three schools in the Corozal District including the Libertad Seventh Day Adventist School whose faculty and staff was more than ready to receive her. Kim Simplis Barrrow - Founder of Lifeline Foundation: "Life-Line black and white gala is coming up and normally we look at one of our districts and we focus on the schools there and this year around is give your heart here at Corozal, we at Life Line always want to go to the schools and so our own inspection so that is what we did, we did three schools today; we did Libertad, San Narciso and Caledonia, the plan for Libertad is really and we looking at a, for this school is looking at a Computer Lab, which is very much needed so it is a construction of a physical computer lab and the donation of computers and we were also looking at the roof from the first building that was established here and the roof is bat infested and so we will be looking to see if we could make enough money to replace the roof."

NTV Heads Out to Garbutt Falls
Saturday April 30th marks the 157th anniversary of the 1859 Treaty between the governments of the UK and the republic of Guatemala which recognized the border between Belize and Guatemala, and as a tribute to the historic event the Northern Territorial Volunteers (NTV) have organized a day trip to the Garbutt's Fall marker in Western Belize, which separates Benque Viejo Town from Guatemala's Melchor De Menchos. Yesterday during our morning show, Despierta Belice, we spoke to two members of the NTV who told us why it is very important for Belizeans to make an effort to attend this trip Northern Territorial Volunteers: "When we commemorate that date so we are planning this trip to go there and show people our monument so that is the main reason, to educate them of the date that the treaty was signed and to visit our monument and to see what our monument is because as far as we understand the OAS is in charge to keep this monument still and the last trip we went there the monument was in a deplorable condition; a lot of garbage and it was very, very dirty and so we want to sensitize the people and take them there and show them this is what we have so we are inviting the public at large to come out on this trip it is a very educational trip."

Another Hike On Fuel Prices
If you visited the pumps over the weekend you might have noticed that once again there were changes in the cost of domestic fuel. The changes, which occurred on Friday, saw the cost per gallon of premium gasoline increasing by two cents, going from nine dollars and six cents to nine dollars and eight cents while the cost per gallon of diesel increased from seven dollars and sixty four cents to seven dollars and eighty seven cents, a difference of twenty-three cents. But there is some good news for consumers of regular gasoline, as it saw a slight decrease of eleven cents, reducing from nine dollars and six cents to eight dollars and ninety five cents. The last time we reported on changes in fuel prices was April 8th 2016.

Guatemala Rejects Belize's Proposal
Many of you may remember that on Friday of last week a draft proposal was presented to Guatemala by a Belizean delegation during a bilateral meeting that took place at the OAS office at the adjacency zone in Benque Viejo. After the draft proposal was presented, the Guatemalan delegation asked for a one week grace period to consider the proposal and deliver a response. That week is up and although GOB has not officially spoken on the issue, information is that Guatemala has rejected the 11 proposals without offering an alternative. For context, we revisit Minister of Foreign Affairs, Wilfred Elrignton's presentation on the draft proposals. Hon. Wilfred Elrington- Minister Foreign Affairs "The channels of the Sarstoon River shall continue to be freely navigable by vessels and boats of each of the two countries without any interference or trailing by the other. The second�whenever any vessels of any one of the parties approaches the base of the other party or any other vessel, it shall reduce its speed as a token of respect and friendship and to avoid injury or damage to persons or property."

Grijalva Inclined To Appeal Guilty Verdict
As we mentioned in yesterday's newscast, a decision was handed down in the case against Denny Grijalva, his wife Maria who were representing De mar's Stone Company and Javier Nunez, the foreman of the company who were charged with willfully damaging an ancient monument, removing earth from an ancient monument and causing destruction of an ancient monument respectively back in June of 2013. At that time Grijalva's company was accused of using the material of the historical Mayan Site, Noh Mul fix roads in the Orange Walk North constituency. All three individuals were found guilty of the charges at the Corozal Magistrates Court by Chief Magistrate Anne Marie Smith.Attorney for the Grijalva's and Nunez, Brian Neal, spoke today with our colleagues at Seven News and according to him, the decision taken by the court came as quite a surprise and the next step to be taken by his clients will more than likely be to appeal the decision as he believes the wrong persons were accused of destroying the Maya Site.

NTV Educates The Youths On Flag Protocols
For the past few months the Northern Territorial Volunteers have been carrying out an educational campaign at different schools and organizations throughout the Orange Walk and Corozal Districts. The purpose of the campaign is to educate Belizeans about the proper flag protocols of Belize. According to leader of the NTV, Jeovannie De la Fuente and member David Espadas, although the response from Belizeans has been very poor so far, they are very optimistic. Northern Territorial Volunteers: "The response of Belizeans as a whole when it comes to these types of things unfortunately is very poor, you would be surprise that if you ask a standard six student what the red signifies on our flag they don't know, they don't know that that is unity, they don't know how the red got there, the student don't know what the fifty leaves mean in our flag and that is the aim we are teaching these people we have held several teaching sessions with adults and they ask what this means and yes what the teachers are fighting for that we need to teach our student the flag protocol."

NTV Describes Draft Proposals As Band Aid Solutions
Yesterday representatives of the Northern Territorial Volunteers were guest on the Despierta Belice morning show. President of NTV Geovanni De La Fuente and member David Espadas visited the show to promote the groups trip to Garbutt Falls which we'll tell you about in a few. During yesterday's conversation NTV representatives were asked to give their input on the 11 proposals presented to Guatemala by Belize to defuse confrontation at the Sarstoon. While we know now that Guatemala has rejected those proposals De La Fuente and Espadas are of the opinion that the 11-point draft proposal for a peace protocol in the Sarstoon is just a Band-Aid solution to a problem that requires real action.

LOVE FM

Guatemala Rejects Belize's Proposals
On Wednesday, April 13, Belize's Foreign Minister Wilfred Sedi Elrington in the company of former Foreign Minister, Assad Shoman addressed the media in a press briefing at the NEMO's Conference Room in Belmopan where a list of protocols presented to Guatemalan counterparts were shared. In that brief, Elrington says that they had given the Guatemalans [�]

Grijalva Guilty of Destroying Ancient Monument
There was public outcry at the local and international level when it was discovered that a large portion of the Noh Mul Mayan Temple was destroyed. The marl from the temple was used to pave roads in a nearby village. Operation ceased when National Institute of Culture and History (NICH) officials learnt of what was [�]

Belize Sends Additional Samples to CARPHA; Awaiting Results on First Samples
Belize's health officials have sent six more samples to the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA) in Port of Spain for ZIKA testing. Majority of those samples derived from the south and were taken during the epidemiological investigation launched in the southern and western part of Belize. Meanwhile, Belize's health officials were expecting results from Port [�]

Taiwan's Ambassador Tests Helicopters in Belize's Airspace
Two weeks ago, a seventeen member team from the Republic of China Taiwan arrived in Belize. The team comprised engineers, technicians, mechanics and two pilots. The team was dispatched by the Government of Taiwan to assemble the two UH-1H helicopters gifted to the Belize Defence Force. Shortly after its arrival, the team embarked on the [�]

Another Change in Fuel Prices
Ten days ago we told you of a price change at the gas pumps that saw the increase of regular fuel and diesel by sixty two cents and twenty one cents, respectively. Last Friday, those prices were changed again which shows a lowering of regular fuel by eleven cents thus making it eight dollars and [�]

Belize to Implement National Drivers Database
Taiwan's Technical Mission in Belize has teamed up with the Central Information Technology Office (CITO) to bring an electronic system to Belize for driver and vehicle licenses as well as vehicle registration complemented by a web portal for information access. Technology experts from Taiwan were in Belize meeting with officials from the Transport Department conducting [�]

Briceno Continues His Familiarization of 31 Divisions
This past weekend, the People's United Party held a meeting at Maracas in Orange Walk Town to elect a Chairman for the Orange Walk South committee. That person will be replacing Jose Abelardo Mai since he is now the Deputy Leader North on the party's national executive. During that meeting, Thea Garcia was elected. As [�]

PUP and Shoman - A Strange Relationship
The People's United Party had recently appointed its former Foreign Minister, Assad Shoman to sit on the Belize/Guatemala team along with the Foreign Affairs Minister, Wilfred Elrington. It is a strange relation to say the least, particularly since Shoman has stated clear that he is not a member or supporter of the blue and white [�]

Dr Petters Appointed as Dean of Academic Affairs and Vice Provost at Duke University
Dr Arlie Petters is no stranger to Belizeans as he has been quite active in the education sector in Belize. His invaluable contributions and humble personality have not only been recognized in Belize but also in the United States where he spent much of his years; so much so that Dr Petters have been appointed [�]

Guard Stabbed Whilst Foiling Robbery at Free Zone
Two nights ago a security guard employed at the Corozal Free Zone Security, was stabbed. Reports are that a robbery was in progress at an establishment when the security guard tried to intervene. All that is known to Love News is that there was a struggle between the security guard and the thieves. As a [�]

Gang Leader Slain Under the Wadani Shed
Well known street figure, Gerald Shiney Tillett was gunned down on Saturday night in Dangriga. The incident unfolded at a popular hang out spot in that municipality. Correspondent Harry Arzu filed this report. HARRY ARZU REPORT "36-year-old, Gerald Tillett, leader of the George Street Gang in Belize City was shot and killed in Dangriga while [�]