Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#100954 - 04/14/05 07:34 PM Dive site quality/number?
Duckling Offline
How are the quality of the dive sites at AC? Are there enough dive sites close to AC so that you have plenty of new things to see for 6 days of 2 tank dives? I am quite clueless, first time to Belize and wondering if I should do a jungle + beach package for a week, or just stay at AC for the whole time.... if there is enough diving to do then we will stay at AC for the whole time (maybe do one day tour to ruins or mainland?) since we love diving. I only dived at the Caymans before so I have nothing but that experience to compare to. What do you suggest? Thanks!

#100955 - 04/15/05 10:52 AM Re: Dive site quality/number?
Caddis Offline
Just returned last week from a week of diving. There are plenty of local sites, but why not mix it up with a day trip to the Blue Hole and/or Turneffe. Also mid week take the trip to Lanamai (Mayan Ruins) for a change of pace. It is well worth it.

Local dives have similar topography. Canyons starting around 50' and dropping to 90'-100'. Lots of corals, sponges, fans etc. Fairly abundant reef fish. Frequent friendly nurse sharks looking for a handout from your dive master. Most dives are drift dives so no fighting current.

Give Amigos Del Mar a call for your diving. They are first rate. Ask to go out with George and Sabas.

#100956 - 04/15/05 01:53 PM Re: Dive site quality/number?
Scott Offline
Duckling... Diving is good around AC; I especially like Tackle Box and Tackle Box Canyons. But the diving is superb at Lighthouse reef/wall and Turneffe South. Lighthouse wall is world-class and lunch on the caye where you can view the booby birds is fun. If you catch The Elbow at Turneffe South on a good day it's fantastic with HUGE schools of fish and a strong current. If you spend the whole week doing local dives it might get a little reptitive, so I agree with Caddis, mix it up and throw in that trip to Lamanai, it's an adventure every bit as fun as a great day of diving. We also use Amigos del Mar and they have always been more than willing to meet our every need. We ususally go in the summer when it's slower and often times my wife and son and I have a boat to ourselves. Have a blast!

#100957 - 04/16/05 10:30 AM Re: Dive site quality/number?
J DOG Offline
Ducking, I agree with the last two replys and if I did just one atoll trip it would be the Blue hole trip,the two dives off the wall at Lighthouse are awesome as well as the time spent on the Caye.
A great half day trip everyone should take is over to Caye Caulker. Eat at the Rainbow Bar and Grill and try the shrimp burrito, out of this world good!! Then down to the split for a swim and a rum punch at the Lazy Lizard!! It's about a 20 min. water taxi ride inside the reef.
Amigos great staff & service are why I always dive with them. George & Sabas are also two of my favorite's as well as Renee & Tony and also Mikey.
Have a great trip!!

#100958 - 04/17/05 11:19 PM Re: Dive site quality/number?
Duckling Offline
Thanks everyone. I will stay at AC for the whole week. Seems like there are other interesting tours to the mainland if I don't want to dive a day or 2. We just booked our ait tickets for June. Now I just need to find lodging. Can't wait!

#100959 - 04/18/05 04:28 AM Re: Dive site quality/number?
seashell Offline
Duckling, I'd well over 100 dives, just off of San Pedro before any hohum factor ever kicked in. Even after all those dives, some sites and some dives are still just great!! Just ask those that have had even more dives there than myself.

And every day and every dive can offer up something different or splendid. You just never know. Will it be a turtle trying to kiss you? A free swimming moray? Nurse sharks circling about? Spotted eagle rays at flight? Or smaller finds, like Pederson Cleaning Shrimp and dancing juvenile spotted drums. Even without all the fish, the underwater scenery can be captivating.

Slow down and smell the underwater roses, as it were. smile If you love diving as you say you do, I'd be quite surprised if you become bored with only one week of diving off of San Pedro.
A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (3 invisible), 38 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,632 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,705 Topics
461,224 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.