Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
REPLANTING & BEAUTIFICATION PROJECT FOR REPLACING COCONUT TREES IN THE DEVASTATED TOURIST TOWNS OF CAYE CAULKER AND SAN PEDRO! By the Belize Development Trust e-mail: [email protected]

We've been doing some of the basic research and setup for this suggested coconut tree planting project. A few revisions have had to be made to the first round of suggestions on the replanting of coconut trees on the two islands around the two towns.
Due to yellow leafing disease, we were advised it was inadvisable to replant with island seedlings from the northern area of Caye Caulker. Recommended was a replanting program using Malaysian Dwarf Coconut seedlings. As far as we can determine, there are nurseries in Western Belize with these coconut seedlings in stock. Frank Redmond, a long time volunteer contributing factual data and reports to the Belize Culture Listserve and the Belize Development Trust who lives in the western highlands of Belize advises us that there are two major types of disease resistant coconut trees. One costs about $2 USA per tree seedling and the other around $3 USA per seedling.
First estimates were vastly underpriced. Mostly, because we have to pay more for coconut seedlings and have the problem of internal transportation costs within Belize. A new rough estimate for such a beautification and coconut tree re-planting project is around $5000 USA. Or as far as that money will stretch.
If left to ordinary replanting by casually interested towns people and visitors. Re-planting would probably occur over a number of years. On Caye Caulker, the coconut trees in the town were almost all destroyed. No replanting will probably take place if it is left to opportunity and inclination by anyone for another 10 months. There are too many other priority items on re-construction and economic reasons.
The Belize Development Trust of Caye Caulker has an account to receive cheque deposits at: Belize Development Trust, Account number 33001397, Turnberry Bank, 9300 S. Dixie Highway, Pinecrest, Fl. 33156, USA.
There is already $200 in this account.
We also can accept credit card donations via phone: c/o Ray at 1-305 - 685 - 9752
Credit card donations will actually be processed within Belize and converted at Barclays Bank into local Belizean currency. This costs a loss of 3 % fee for the Merchant Bank commission and I believe it is another 3 % for bank foreign currency exchange. For a total of 6 % loss before we start using credit cards. But the volunteer doing this part will not be available until Monday, Oct. 23rd, 2000. But we can take down the credit card donation details now. A holdup is the difficulty while we wait for FAX connection with Caye Caulker and the internet and phone line services to be re-established.
Required for telephone credit card donations are: Your name, the credit card number, the type of card being used, the expiration date and mailing address for the card for the credit card registration.
Whatever amounts DONATED, or received in a GRANT, we will persue. If it is a small amount, then only a small amount of seedlings will be done. The volume will correspond to the amount the project collects to replant and beautify both San Pedro and Caye Caulker.
The project is likely to be done piecemeal as volunteers contribute some time to the project on an "as available" basis. We will try to cut any costs to the bone. Figure through February before the Coconut Tree Planting project would close.
The Belize Development Trust will do the organizing and administration. Unlike, the donations for the island Emergency Committees, this project will have a set of books of expenditures. If you love San Pedro and Caye Caulker, then by all means join us, in trying to beautify both places once again, with new coconut trees.

Ray Auxillou
Trustee/Project Director
Belize Development Trust http://belize1.com/BzLibrary

Background information: The Belize Development Trust has three currently functioning projects. These are the web based, Belize Electronic Resource & Development Library project. The Belize Development Issues internet publication and media cooperative project for social change. And the currently working Hurricane Network, which is best represented by the Hurricane Message Board done by volunteer Marty Casado.

Ray....we really appreciate your efforts. I know how difficult it has been for you to get things accomplished considering our handicap in communications.
GOOD JOB!

Thanks a bunch-o-coconuts! [Linked Image]
Tammy

Hey Tams,
What is the San Pedro 'Town Bored' doing about the roads? I remember them being pretty bad when I left, when all it did was rain a bit for a day...there must be potholes like NYC now!!! Talk about needed 're-beautification'...
E.

LOL...try Texas! They have filled in the huge washouts just so the road is passable....but of course those potholes will have to wait. They will finally grade when it becomes absolutely impossible to drive on....LOL I'm sure they are doing all they can at this point...and hey...we're used to potholes right?

When are you planning a trip back?

Tammy, should I adopt Daemyon, and take him under my Mom's wing? Maybe you and Debbie would like a Brother.

Dare To Deviate
B
B
I am a Palmetto Florida rotarian. I am scheduled to stay @ Ramon's village during Thanksgiving with my family and it's my 3rd anniversary with my lovely wife Laurie. The reason for this reply is that I originally started reading this site to see if I should cancel or postpone my trip. after reading all of your wonderful stories(and tragic) i am very heartfelt and wish I was there to help now. I feel like I know some of you just be reading this site. Kudos to Marty, Nellie, sandshaker et all. To the point, I am going to present to my rotary club that we organize all of the west coast Florida rotaries to take a relief mission for you guys. I am sure I can do it and if we are lucky it may be substantial. I would love to help anyway I can and this may be the best & most profitable way. You might have your coconut trees sooner than you think. I'll keep you posted. If anyone knows a local rotary club please email me At [email protected]. My name is Nick. GODSPEED!!!!

GOD BLESS NICK, for getting all the Rotarians
to gather the money to replant all those lovely Coconut Palms. This is terrific.

Dare To Deviate
B
B
Thank you Cloe and Godbless. I will try my best. Rotary has been helping people not only in our own community,but all over the world for almost a century. I feel we can make a difference to Belize,that's what rotary and the good of mankindis all about. Ineed people's help, I can't do it alone. Please,Please, Please.

Mom..you have NO idea what you are saying....LOL
You don't know Daemyon....you think I'm wild and hard to control....HA!
Just wait...he's unmanageable! [Linked Image]
A heathen child....LMAO [Linked Image]

Well NOW don't have experience with that sort! LOL

[This message has been edited by Chloe (edited 10-12-2000).]

Dare To Deviate

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 121 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,202
Posts500,026
Members20,466
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.