Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#101132 04/17/05 05:10 PM
OP Offline
I visited AC in January for the first time for a tropical biology class. Like most, I fell in love. After returning to yucky Indiana, I immediately began looking for work so that I could return for spring break. I found a waitressing job and began saving.
This time around I experienced so much more as my roommate and I were free to do as we pleased. That meant more relaxation time and no chaperones! We had so much fun.
Most days we would wake up and go to Ramon's to swim and play on the beach. The drinks are kind of expensive there, but it's a really nice place to relax and hang out.
We only had the chance to go snorkeling once this time, but it was a great trip. We went to Hol Chan/SRA. We saw dolphins, a loggerhead turtle, a spiny lobster, nurse sharks, and rays. We stayed at Lily's, where we had two bedrooms, a kitchen, a living room (with cable tv), and a balcony right on the beach for just US $50/night. It was awesome being so close to everything, great budget accommodations! Our last day we rented a golf cart and went up North, it was really fun. We hung out all day at Captain Morgan's and I drank 1 barrel to my little heart's content (my roommate drove home.) We tried to sample all of the different places to eat - My personal favorites are Carambas, Elvi's, and El Divino. Being college students, we also ate at the street vendors more than once. It was scary the first time, but the food is actually decent. BC's has the best burrito in the world!!
I love the nightlife in San Pedro. It's not too crazy and the people are great. I met so many great locals this time around. I love Fido's, Crazy Canucks, and the Tackle Box.
I want to go back this summer; hopefully I can save enough money. The only hard part is finding someone to go with me, I'm scared to go by myself!

#101133 04/17/05 08:50 PM
heidianne, glad to hear you had such a great time but please don't be afraid to travel alone. i went to costa rica last year alone 'cause everyone else didn't have the $$ or couldn't get time off from work---i loved it! tour guides were very nice and most of locals were very helpful and friendly(and not very many spoke much english and my spanish is about the same). i am leaving for ac in 3 days and again going alone. i am very excited and plan on having a great time. i love seeing new cultures and meeting new people. plus going alone leaes you open to do whatever YOU want to do. the key to traveling alone is to do the same as when you travel alone in the states--don't put yourself in a bad situation. i will let you know how it goes when i get back but ,never pass on something just cause you have no one to go/do it with you!

#101134 04/18/05 02:06 AM
heidianne, are you scared to go by yourself because you think you will be lonely? Or not be safe? Or just what?

Learning to travel on your own, will open up a whole new world of opportunity for you, for the rest of your life. Regrettably, due to fear of going on my own, I missed many travel ops when I was younger. Since then, through various circumstances (friends cancelling last minute, etc), I found myself travelling on my own anyway. I learned that I was more free than I'd believed. These days, I set off on my own quite often. I always meet people along the way and have even made a few lifetime friends during my travels.

Of all the places that I have travelled to on my own, I was probably the most comfortable in San Pedro. All you need to do is make sure you educate yourself to keep yourself safe. Like Sev32665 said, don't put yourself into bad situations. (and watch out for land sharks). wink

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#101135 04/18/05 05:27 AM
From your picture I see you don't have any problems making friends LOL

Time flys - have fun!
#101136 04/18/05 07:27 AM
I enjoyed reading about your AC experiences, heidi. You really did catch the "AC bug".

I had to look at the pic, and you are a cutie! I hope Chloe doesn't see that he has his arm around yet another female :p

#101137 04/18/05 07:33 AM
great post, you are hooked. you now have passed living the dream 101 ... welcome to the real world,live life ,be happy , have fun , enjoy..

Living The Dream Every Day!
#101138 04/19/05 02:37 PM
heidianne, I am 28 years young smile and always go there alone. It's hard NOT to meet people, as I'm sure you figured out.

#101139 04/21/05 12:05 AM
OP Offline
not really scared to travel alone, just don't want to be lonely... wink

#101140 04/21/05 12:24 AM
Dear Heidi, I completely agree with Travelqueen and Seashell. I am 25, go to AC alone quite a bit, and my experiences traveling alone "opened up a whole new world of opportunity, for the rest of my life." as Seashell wrote above. Seashell is right. I bet you will enjoy much of it even better being there alone, as the expeience is quite different than those you are with back home. Travelqueen is right on, you meet people so easy there. Good luck, I hope to read a future post from you after your first trip alone there!

#101141 04/21/05 02:19 AM
heidianne, you won't be lonely. smile

You might be alone sometimes, but heck, you'll be in San Pedro! Not to mention that alone doesn't always equal lonely. Whether I've been there with friends or on my own, I've never felt lonely. Even when I'm walking down the beach alone, I've got a big smile inside and outside, cuz I'm so happy. Sometimes, I don't even walk very far before a new friend (or an old friend), will join me on my walk or stop me to chat.

Each trip, I've made new friends and always so enjoy my "old" friends.

All that said, I don't always make arrangements to have companionship at dinner. Sometimes that's not so great, but I've gotten used to it . . .not to mention, that as surely as taking a walk on the beach, I'm soon joined by a new friend or an old one.

Most everyone on holiday are outgoing and more open than they might be at home. And as you probably already know, San Pedranos are pretty darn friendly too.

Go on your own. As long as you keep yourself safe, it will give you a whole new perspective and the experience should enhance your life significantly.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.