Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#101254 04/20/05 08:34 AM
C
OP Offline
C
We are planning on coming in August for our first trip to AC for some diving and recreation. 3 of us are divers and are of course interested in good easy to use dive facilities . The fourth is not a diver and she is concerned with the quality of the beach at the hotel or place where we stay. We were considering the Sunbreeze but she told us that she heard that the beach there was not very nice and had seagrass on it. She has suggested Banana Beach, which would be fine if good diving is easily available. No diving facilities are listed on their website. Also we are interested in access to town. We are walkers and would prefer not to have to rent a car/cart to get around. Any suggestions for a first time visitor?

#101255 04/20/05 08:49 AM
T
T
You can go diving with just about anyone. Most operators come pick you up wherever you are staying. There are a lot of dive operators on the caye. As far as beaches and swimming. From what I saw the best walk in beach was at Ramon's Villiage where they clear a good sized area. The best swimming was up north off the peir at Belizian Shores. Most of the better swimmuing is off the peirs.

#101256 04/20/05 09:39 AM
S
S
Just want to make this clear, there is no Seagrass on the beaches, they are cleaned by the resorts on a daily basis. The Seagrass is in the water growing on the bottom and is not an issue. If you feel uncomfortable walking on it in bare feet then a cheap pair of wading shoes will work great.

The question to ask your hotel about their beach is do they have a seawall or can you walk directly from sand to water.

#101257 04/20/05 11:29 AM
Sunbreeze has a nice sandy beach area but also has a seawall in front so you cannot walk directly into the sea. Doesn't obstruct view though. Best beach close to town with direct sea access is in front of Ramon's & The Palms, or up by Blue Tang Inn (IMO). Diving easily arranged from any hotel, with a dive shop or not.

#101258 04/20/05 03:54 PM
Note: No beach at Banana Beach. The best beaches around town may be a toss up between Ramon's and Banyan Bay.

#101259 04/20/05 04:22 PM
Banana Beach has a beach, just has a small section with a low seawall as well.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/barbsbelize/detail?.dir=a9fe&.dnm=1f17.jpg

#101260 04/20/05 09:42 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks so much for all of your help. I have a much clearer picture of diving and beaches in San Pedro.

#101261 04/23/05 11:41 AM
N
N
Originally posted by SimonB:
Just want to make this clear, there is no Seagrass on the beaches, they are cleaned by the resorts on a daily basis. The Seagrass is in the water growing on the bottom and is not an issue. If you feel uncomfortable walking on it in bare feet then a cheap pair of wading shoes will work great.

The question to ask your hotel about their beach is do they have a seawall or can you walk directly from sand to water.
I must admit that the beaches at AC are not comparable to other beaches I've visited ... my favorite beach would be Nungwi beach in Zanzibar island. It would not be fair to compare AC beaches with Zanzibar's, but I would agreee with Simon's advice to bring sea shoes because the turtle grass is in most parts of the water. Once you are clear of the grass, you are in beautiful crystal water ... another thing to be aware of are the boats ... the further out you go, the more you will see boats ... this was a bit disturbing to me, but I managed and enjoyed it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.