Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#102202 - 05/02/05 12:30 AM Trip Report 3/17-3/25 Part One
lakegirl Offline
Finally, better late than never!!! I can't thank everyone enough for all of the advice we had gotten from the message board.

Well everyone was right we had a GREAT time! We left Michigan in 20 degree weather, got delayed in Chicago because of snow but we finally made it to Bze for one of the last flights out to the island. What a beautiful sight from that very small airplane.

We stayed at Exotic Caye and unloaded our bags and headed right out to Crazy Canucks for our first Belikin, it was great!! We weren't there very long before the power went out and we had to drink to candlelight, oh what a life!!! We met a couple from England and headed our to BC's for our first dinner on the island.

The rest of the trip was just amazing, we ate at Casa Picasso's (with the couple from England again), Estelles and Lily's for breakfast, Calente's, Stained Glass Pub (twice), Celi's,Caramba's just to mention a few!! We attended a local family's party that they had for their daughters First Communion party and tried to learn to Punta!! The family was so nice to us as we accidently stumbeled into the party thinking it was a bar on a rooftop, oops!!! They just took us in and treated us like old friends which seemed like the norm for the local people. In all of the islands we have been to we have never felt so comfortable as we did in SP.

We rented a golf cart for a few days and made the trip north of the cut and visited the Palapa Bar, Captain Morgans, Capricorns, and Belizan Shores and the beautiful pool bar where we met more new friends that we spent the afternoon with and visited the house they had rented with their family and friends, complete with a hot tub on the front porch (Debbies Place I think) overlooking the water, very beautiful. It was so much fun to take the hand pulled ferry over and back where we picked up a couple of local ladies and gave them a ride home!

So far we have fallen in love with Sp and all of the great people, locals and tourists alike!!

More to come later..................

Lakegirl

#102203 - 05/02/05 12:37 AM Re: Trip Report 3/17-3/25 Part One
Coco Loco Lady Offline
Another MI girl bitten by the AC bug! We're hoping to make it back in Feb. Can't wait to read more of your trip report! Sounds like you had a wonderful time ~ thanks for sharing!
Coco

#102204 - 05/02/05 02:02 PM Re: Trip Report 3/17-3/25 Part One
captjeff Offline
here we go another ,living the dream week..nice post,you sound hooked , welcome aboard the sanpedro express,enjoy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#102205 - 05/02/05 02:44 PM Re: Trip Report 3/17-3/25 Part One
Chloe Offline
Lakegirl, perfect trip report. You caught the magic of the local people.

#102206 - 05/03/05 09:11 PM Re: Trip Report 3/17-3/25 Part One
Fluffy Offline
So Lakegirl....are you planning your next trip back yet?

#102207 - 05/04/05 01:30 AM Re: Trip Report 3/17-3/25 Part One
lakegirl Offline
Hi everyone,

Yes we are hooked!! We have already made reservations for March 2006, wish we could get back sooner!!

Capt Jeff, we looked for you around the island!! DIdn't get a chance to go fishing this time but for sure the next time!

Fluffy, you should be all packed and ready to go if I am not mistaken!! Tell Christian Chris and Steve said hi and have a Belikin for us!! I wish I could get back sooner than next year.

I will post more of my trip report when I have a little more time, and I wish I could get my pics uploaded but with just a phone line it seems to take to long, any hints out there?!!

Lakegirl

#102208 - 05/04/05 03:00 AM Re: Trip Report 3/17-3/25 Part One
Moon Offline
Hey LakeGirl,

Your report sounds WONDERFUL!! Have just responded to your ?? re: T&C on another thread, but just in case you didn't check back for the answer there, I wanted to find out here what you thought of Belizean Shores, as that's where we were thinking of going. Everyone raves about the pool, but it wasn't actually the POOL that we were going away for!!! LOL!

Do you know how the beach was? How far it was from everything else/ Can you give me more info about the place you stayed at? We like small hotels that are quiet, but within an easy reach to other restaurants and *stuff* if we want to do more. I'm just wondering whether Belizean Shores is a bit too far away from everything that's going on...?

Look forward to hearing from you!

Thx! wink

#102209 - 05/04/05 03:27 AM Re: Trip Report 3/17-3/25 Part One
Moon Offline
I've just watched the video on Exotic Caye online but haven't been able to find out how large this resort is, or if it's noisy (Canucks Bar!), and just wondered if you're going back to this resort next year LakeGirl?

How was the beach? Was there a seawall? Could you just walk into the sea and swim from a gradual decline of the beach? Was there any snorkelling from the beach here, did it have a pier?

Sorry, so many questions, but I like the idea that it's within walking distance of the town etc., AND if the beach is swimmable from as only one of us swims and can do snorkelling trips separately.

Was there a restaurant at Exotic Caye, or just the bar?

Do you know if there are "quieter" areas (if it's noisy!) for those of us who aren't partying all night, every night????!!

Would love to hear your answers - it'll be a first trip for us, but SOMETHING is drawing people back again, and again, and again, and we just want to go somewhere that hasn't been totally commercialized and exploited - before that happens!

#102210 - 05/04/05 05:59 PM Re: Trip Report 3/17-3/25 Part One
Fluffy Offline
Hi Moon: The only loud night at Exotic Caye would be Monday night. A live band, Punta Boyz, play from around 8:30 - midnight. The other 6 nights of the week is music from a radio or cd player.

The beach area is nice, however, you may not be swimming in the water. Lots of sea grass. The best swim areas off the beach, I have found, are at Ramon's and Banyan Bay. There may be others, but this is what I have found. There is no seawall.

Monkey Bites is a small restaurant on site. Kathy's hours are from 7:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m., I believe. She makes the best cinnamon french toast.

I love staying here. Don and Carol, the managers of the resort and owners of Crazy Canucks, are wonderful. The locals you meet at Crazy Canucks are equally as awesome.

Wherever you decide to stay, I am sure you will have a great time. Just remember to relax, slow down and enjoy your new surroundings because when you get there you are on Belize time!!!

#102211 - 05/04/05 11:46 PM Re: Trip Report 3/17-3/25 Part One
klcman Offline
And if the Barefoot Iguana actually re-opens across the street from backside of EC (it might already be, not sure), don't book a room at back of property...unless you like booming tunes until 3-4 AM on the weekends.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,021 Topics
462,212 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.