Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#10220 10/12/00 05:32 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
In the aftermath of Hurricane Andrew which took its toll on south Florida the building codes were enhanced. I know that hurricane straps are required to attach roofs to structures so they won't blow off when the next big storm comes. So...now that the rebuilding and repairing is underway why not make the structures more secure.

Does anyone have a contact at Simpson Strong Tie? Maybe one of the leaders of this board could contact the company and put the squeeze on them for donations. I am pretty sure the company is located in the Bay area of Northern California.

Let's help our friends build better and smarter.

A
A
A search of the net gives:

http://www.strongtie.com/

H
H
Since much rebuilding is needed it make a lot of sense to do it in as hurricane proof a manner as possible. If enough of us urge them to, Simpson Strong Tie might be able to offer help through donations or discounts of supplies for more hurricane proof rebuilding, information and/or workshops.

home page:
http://www.strongtie.com/
for contact:
http://www.strongtie.com/fr_distributor.html

I imagine they'd insist on going through the Red Cross or some 501C(3).

Some of the corporations we contacted earlier (LLBean, Lands'End) have expressed interest in helping in conjunction with the Red Cross. So let's all get behind this and urge Simpson Strong Tie to join those efforts. They can be urged to contact the Belize Red Cross. E-Mail: [email protected]

jude

While you're at it, you might try the entire State building codes: http://www.dca.state.fl.us/fhcd/fbc/
and http://www.howardshutter.com/,
who claims 0% failure during hurricane Andrew

Boy do I wish better building codes had been in place for this storm.
Unfortunately....we don't have strict codes.
Most people here simply can't afford a really well built house.
A lot of folks here have houses with only one or two rooms, and that houses the entire family. Not to big on square footage here.

I'm trying to figure out how you would use those straps on a small wood house with a tin roof. Maybe one across from front to back...and then one across from side to side.....then put a big bow on top!...LOL

I'm getting a mental image.... [Linked Image]

Sorry folks...I'm a little giddy right now.
And no it ain't from Caribbean Rum...LOL

P.S. Hey Emile....loved the Paisano thing [Linked Image]

H
H
Sandshaker,
I know you are awfully busy but, if you can get a chance, a look at the website gives the
impression that it's really a bunch of metal parts connecting various sections of the house to each other and the roof much more securely. I also had vivid mental images of strapped down houses.

All folks,
no matter what - let's build an intense email campaign to get them to donate some supplies. And to that end please read my posting under Rick & Cheri's "Finally Relief!!!!!1" at: //ambergriscaye.com/message/Forum2/HTML/002230.html

I have a few additions nearly ready for that list, so keep coming back.
jude

SS your meds are starting to kick in, right?
The hurricane strappings can certainly help even on a small house, it will hold the framing of the house together. Replacing the metal roof would be easy compared to rebuilding the whole structure. I too live in a hurricane prone area, S. Texas. The strappings, are relatively inexpensive, and anyone can nail them into the stress points.

Dare To Deviate
SandShaker,
Yeah, you want some perspective? When I was there, I lived in a fairly strong building(intentionally), and paid medium-level rent for a local...but I used free dough to upgrade the infrastructure of the house,(i.e. lumber, electrical supplies, paint, etc.); my neighbors with the dirt floors had: televisions, HUGE stereos and VCR's...I'll cop to the occassional(oh, shit...OFTEN!) Belikin, but I had NO T.V., and no music...
No kudos to me, but WTF???!!!

Hi Idea Lady

My house, located in San Pablo, was constructed with hurricane straps on one side of each of my rafters. I truly think that even at "half strenghth" that these tiny metal straps saved my roof and consequently my entire house.

When we begin repairs and rip out the sheet rock we will be placing additional straps on our roof supports.

Mom,....I wish these meds would kick in before I suffocate....LOL

I can see I am thinking of something different than what is being discussed.

I keep thinking about those long metal straps that go across trailers and are bolted in the ground to keep the trailer from blowing over...or away altogether.

Guess I better go check out the website [Linked Image]

Amanda...glad you house survived back there. That is one sturdy house. If they worked for your house, maybe we can just figure out how to fit them to whatever structure people have.
Surely there is enough pieces/parts for that.

Thanks guys for the insight!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.