Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#102407 - 05/05/05 05:29 PM First timer-snorkeling question
jas_in_hbca Offline
Thanks to all for sharing stories and advice. I'm booked at White Sands Cove for first week in June, got my Safe Sea ordered and will bring flashlight and candles.

I'm wondering if there are any good snorkeling locations that are walking distance or even kayaking distance. From what i've read it looks like it's necessary to take a boat out. Thanks for any suggestions.

#102408 - 05/05/05 06:16 PM Re: First timer-snorkeling question
travelqueen Offline
You can snorkel out near the piers. I've seen people do it all the time.

I'm going to HB in July... maybe I'll run into you!

#102409 - 05/06/05 01:56 PM Re: First timer-snorkeling question
J DOG Offline
The best snorkeling sites are by boat, you can stop at 2 or 3 on one trip, Hol chan is good but usually very crowded, Mexico rock's is very nice & hardly ever crowded.
As far as snorkelling from the beach it's not that good , try Ramones Pier.
Lot's of boat traffic inside the reef, so be very careful & stay close to the Piers.

#102410 - 05/06/05 08:21 PM Re: First timer-snorkeling question
sandytoes Offline
Go up to Costa Maya Resort and rent a kayak. You can paddle out to Mexico Rocks, tie your kayak on a post, and snorkle. If it is your first time, you should practice snorkeling close to shore, where you can touch the bottom with your feet. Don't venture out to deeper water until you feel comfortable breathing through your snorkel.

#102411 - 05/06/05 08:50 PM Re: First timer-snorkeling question
jas_in_hbca Offline
thanks for the tips. I'm in count down mode; less than a month till we leave.

TQueen, July is a good time for HB. A little crowded with tourists ;-) but the weather should be nice. Main St. by the beach has alot of good restuarants and bars. Enjoy !

#102412 - 05/08/05 07:16 PM Re: First timer-snorkeling question
sophnramon Offline
You won't want to snorkel from the piers unless it is just to get the feel of your equipment and snorkeling. I wouldn;t advice kayaking to the reef at all. We saw some people doing it and they were absolutely exhausted in the intense heat. Plus there are boats zooming through. Snorkleling is exhausting, especially if there is a strong current and I know that I wouldn't want to have to kayak home in that heat when I was so tired!
We went on several trips to the reef and found that it was the best way to snorkel. Easy too- they pick you up from your hotel's pier and the trips were about 2 hours each.
We LOVED hol chan/ shark ray alley. I would recommend going there first. We also like mexico rocks- quieter and we had more time.

Sophie

#102413 - 05/08/05 08:21 PM Re: First timer-snorkeling question
Chloe Offline
Not to over speak other posts here. IMHO White Sands Cove is far enough out of San Pedro, where the boat traffic is not so dense, healthy strong people, could kayak to the reef. (Getting back on that kayak, will be hard part)

I have enjoyed snokeling around and under piers, no coral to see, but large schools of fish that follow you, and stay just an arm's length away.

OF COURSE everyone must snorkel Hol Chon and SharkRay Alley. Mexico Rocks is good too.

#102414 - 05/09/05 06:44 PM Re: First timer-snorkeling question
XIIthMan Offline
We stayed at Paradise Villas and there were always small barracuda, large stingrays and a small lesser electric ray near the dock. They also have some artificial reefs at the end of the dock. Please, however don't swim out to the reef like the goofball did last week. He made it out and back but only after about six boats, including a taxi, had to stopp or slow down and warn him.

#102415 - 05/09/05 07:00 PM Re: First timer-snorkeling question
SimonB Offline
Right out front, and just a bit North, of White Sands you'll see a marker buoy about halfway between the reef and shore. That buoy marks several large coral heads that will make for great snorkeling.

If White Sands doesn't have Kayaks for rent then El Pescador or Captain Morgan's which are just a few minutes walk North will probably have them.

If you have it in you (and it's not that hard) keep going to the reef, there are lots of protected spots with very little current in that area. Just beware of going into the cut with the Kayak on a outbound tide.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 23 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,064 Topics
462,323 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.