Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#102459 - 05/06/05 05:34 PM Banana Beach area, use reliable guides
john robertsdenver Offline
hi to all.. just a word of caution, and i should know better. there is a "guide" who hangs out at Banana Beach, by the name of Earnesto. we contracted with him to take us to Bacalar Chico for snorkelling and the trip was a fiasco...he took us to the ranger station, but no further do to the fact that he had insufficient gas available. so we never made it to the snorkel sites of barracuda, mexico rocks or bacalar chico. he almost ran out of gas on the way back and had to stop at a hotel to ask for a tank full in order to get us 'home'. then when we got to the lagoon he said he couldn't take us to banana beach but would arrange for a taxi to take us there. when we got home, we found that he hadn't paid for the taxi!! to make matters worse Mr Lopez who is the security guard at banana beach said he was reliable and so we felt he was ok. moral of the story---go with guides either recommended off this board or bookem thru the hotel. we thought we would be nice and use a small 'local guy' who needed a break---never again john in denver

#102460 - 05/06/05 06:52 PM Re: Banana Beach area, use reliable guides
captjeff Offline
there we go ,live and learn ..thanks for sharing .can tell you tim ,the owner does not condone ,bad guides hanging around his resort .he will check this out if he hears about,this as he runs a first class property and will not take tolerate problems,with his customers...

#102461 - 05/06/05 11:26 PM Re: Banana Beach area, use reliable guides
klcman Offline
oh he'll read about it for sure! wink

Thanks John......I saw this dude (at least I think it was) talking it up to some newbies on my last trip also, taking some $$ in advance and I can't swear to it, but it appeared he "shared" it with someone too right after the newbies were outta sight.

:rolleyes:

#102462 - 05/07/05 01:02 AM Re: Banana Beach area, use reliable guides
Chloe Offline
Also, make sure your Guide has a license, if not, and you paid him in advance and he is stopped/checked, your tour will end right there, and you will not get your money back.

#102463 - 05/07/05 02:57 AM Re: Banana Beach area, use reliable guides
BDinAZ Offline
Thanks for the info John.
I am surprised Monkey Business hasn't at least kept this person off property. (or maybe they didn't know until now)
So, how was BB and the vaca?
We are looking forward to staying there this summer.

#102464 - 05/07/05 12:47 PM Re: Banana Beach area, use reliable guides
MarkHNH Offline
Hi John,

Welcome back.

My wife and I joined John and his wife on the trip with Earnesto.
Earnesto was very nice and he brought his cute little daughter with him. She entertained us the whole way. However, he was not equipt for the trip that John had requested and should never have promissed something that he couldn't deliver.
Besides not delivering what he promissed, we did not feel safe in his boat. He had to start the engine with a rope pull. Sometimes it took about 5 minutes to get it started while we were adrift. We were on the back side and didn't see another boat all day. He also ran into shallow water where his engine would start bouncing off the rocks on the bottom. We were surprised that he didn't shear a pin or break the prop. He kept saying that it was low tide.
I hate to give a negative report on someone trying to feed his family. However, a word to the wise to be careful.

Mark H for NH

#102465 - 05/07/05 05:49 PM Re: Banana Beach area, use reliable guides
Now Danny Offline
Mark H, hi this is Dan and Jean from breakfast at Banana Beach, I believe we had talked during breakfast while you were there and talked about Erensto and his little girl going out with you all. I don't know what to say about it all but everything seems to have turned out O.K. Keep smiling and live the dream. cool

#102466 - 05/08/05 06:46 PM Re: Banana Beach area, use reliable guides
Tim Jeffers Offline
John!

Please email me with information as to what took place here- I am very disappointed to hear that Earnesto was allowed to "hustle" you on Banana Beach property. Earnesto is not authorized to be on the property.

In the future please use our travel shoppe!

Thanks,

Tim

#102467 - 05/09/05 02:17 AM Re: Banana Beach area, use reliable guides
MarkHNH Offline
Now Danny,

We didn't have Breakfast at Banana Beach. You probably talked to John (Johnrobertsdenver) and Suzie. They were staying there.

Mark H

#102468 - 05/09/05 02:23 PM Re: Banana Beach area, use reliable guides
captjeff Offline
john there you go ,tim is on it ...,like I said tim does not take to kindly to people hustling at his first class resort!!! ernesto is in deep do do .. would not not to be in his shoes..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 58 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,029 Topics
462,230 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.