Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
OP Offline
L
Hello everyone. I'm considering taking a trip to Belize (specifically Ambergris Caye) and am looking for a little advice from the experts.

1. The hotel I'm looking at is Mata Rock Resort. Does anyone have any info on what this property is like?

2. What's the best time to go? I'm thinking early-mid November based on what I've read re: weather, etc... Is there any bad time to go?

3. The property I'm looking at offers a lot of tours but a quick check of some of the tour operators in the area suggests that the same tours can be arranged cheaper going directly through them instead of the hotel. Is it worth it to do this? Saving $15-$20 US per trip really adds up if I'm going to go on several tours, but if I have to get to the tour operator's location instead of them coming to me, that annoyance/extra hassle cancels out the benefits of a few dollars savings.

4. I've looked at a lot of the pics that have been posted on various sites and one thing I've noticed is that once the sun goes down the streets aren't always really well lit. How safe is the area for someone travelling alone (generally) and for being out after dark (specifically).

Thanks very much for any tips/advice you can offer.

J&J Offline
Couple of notes:

Mata Rocks is a distance from town. If you eat out a lot, you may find yourself in town every night. $$ for a cab or rent a golf cart. You may want to stay someplace closer unless you like to walk a mile or more. San Pedro is fairly safe after dark, bring a flashlight if you walk much.

Hit the internet and compare tour prices. Most mainland tours are better off done from the mainland and not Ambergris. You just can't get over the flight or boat ride cost from the island. Consider staying a night or two at the Belize Biltmore on the mainland and take a few of the jungle or ruin tours from there. Concentrate on snorkel/diving/fishing while on the island.

I would not recommend early November for a trip. It can still be rather humid and rainy. Try late November or early December. Prices are still low and the weather is still warm.

You will love it, just book and come. Ambergris is safe and friendly and you can book most activities once you arrive. Think Florida about 40 years ago and you'll know what I mean.

Hi Littleengine. We stayed at Mata Rocks resort. It is a small resort and the staff were very nice. It has a small pool and keeps it's beach very clean. The rooms vary from cheaper poolside to more expensive suites. We tried both and were just as satisfied with the small poolside room. All of the rooms have a sea view. We had no problem with eating as there are excellent restaurants near by, both local ma and pa shacks and expensive, good quality meals. We liked it so much that we booked extra days and will be going back again this year. It has a great little beach bar too. We walked to town, on average, twice daily. The resort also has free use of bicycles which will get you to town in no time. We only hired a golf cart once and that was so that we could explore the north of the island. We had absolutely no problem safety wise but like anywhere else be sensible. Belize is a poor country - flaunt your wealth at your own risk.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

Hi there,

We just booked two weeks at Mata Rocks for February. I have also done the research and hope my choice will be wonderful. Nice, clean, small resort. Next door is Banana Beach, which I've heard serves wonderful food. Picasso's is also rather close for dinner. We can't hardly wait either, since we're already booked for 8 1/2 months away. But whos counting. Ha! Ha!

H
H
Hi, Mata ROCKS is a very beautiful unique place to stay. .About tours I own a small business by the name of [Freedom tours fishing unlimited]I specialize on all types of fishing but can also definetly arrange any other type of tour you might be interested.That is maya ruins ,cave tubing, belize zoo, manatee watching,snorkeling and much more!All my boats are fully equipped and licensed.We can chat a little more.My e-mail address is [email protected] and my office number is 011-501-603-0357 or 011-501-601-0086.

We'll also be staying at Mata Rocks in late Oct/early Nov... chose it cuz of it's location.. We really do not wanna be right in town and it's ONLY a mile or so away I guess... I also like the "smallness" of it.. not really into the party scene so it looks perfect. Their web site is great.. that's one of the first things that got me hooked on the place...and the free use of the bikes.. I really plan to take advantage of that.

L
OP Offline
L
Thanks, hilly boo... I am looking to do a few tours while I'm there. Do you have a website I could check out? I'm trying to shop around a bit as I'm coming from Canada so I've got the Cdn/US exchange rate to factor into the price of everything. Saving a little here and there can go a long way.

Originally posted by hilly boo:
Hi, Mata ROCKS is a very beautiful unique place to stay. .About tours I own a small business by the name of [Freedom tours fishing unlimited]I specialize on all types of fishing but can also definetly arrange any other type of tour you might be interested.That is maya ruins ,cave tubing, belize zoo, manatee watching,snorkeling and much more!All my boats are fully equipped and licensed.We can chat a little more.My e-mail address is [email protected] and my office number is 011-501-603-0357 or 011-501-601-0086.

Most tour operators pick up at your hotel. The mainland tours are almost all the same prices. You will find 4-5 businesses offering similar trips.
As you walk the beach check with the tour shops along the way and compare prices and extras (t-shirts!).
Enjoy your trip to Belize!
cool

A
A
you want the best fishing guy contact jose gonzalez at 0115012262344 you wont regret it

J
J
Littleengine, you will love Mata Rocks, They have a lovely Palapa bar oceanside. It is a 35 minute walk to town along the beach and a 15 min. bike ride. I have stayed there twice as well as 2 times at banana beach next door. you can enjoy a full breakfast at banana beach, or the continental breakfast at mata rocks. the jr suites at mata rocks are lovely and provide everything you will need. there is a small shop for minor groceries across the street that is comparable in price to the main store. you can rent golf carts from banana beach if you so desire at a good rate. all in all it is a fab place to stay. also all the excursions that you book are best booked from the hotels, that way you know what you are getting and they will pick you up right at the pier....so no worries...live it up and have fun....john in denver

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.