Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
Pedro1 Offline OP
OP Offline
I am so fed up with resorts/bars/businesses that expect money for doing nothing.
1. what is a service charge
a) a way for a business to extract more money out of its paying customers.
b) a way for a business not to pay its staff decent wages.
c) give all service charges to staff -I guarantee this does not happen in 90% of the cases.

Tipping

Why do we tip?
a) for good service and appreciation of us coming to their establishment.
b) Tipping is not and should not be necessary -it should be considered a reward for people doing their job,and going beyond the call of duty.
c)Please do not give me dollar coins (over 5 bzd in my change) as I will keep them and give them to Paisano-he is a lot more fun than 90% of the bartenders in town.
d) I spotted a couple of expat managers of local hosteleries in town on sat night and they did not tip as they consider themselves locals and the excuse was locals cannot afford to tip.

ps - opening a beer and pouring a glass of wine with no acknowledgment is,imo, not considered decent service

Adding extra monies to compensate credit card payments -either put this on the menu that the business insist on 5% to cover cc payment but do not say service charge which will never go to the staff

^

Dare To Deviate
so Peter, did you get some LOUSY service?

and i couldn't agree more on labelling when charging the extra to recoup credit card fees...

A very good point Pedro1 - I couldn't agree with you more. A lot of people don't realize - unless they read the fine print that a lot of the lodgings charge a "service charge". I think that it is ourtragous to pay in advance for service that you may or may not get.

Time flys - have fun!
S
S
Here's what I don't like about service charges, particularly in hotels. I see this in Mexico a lot. They tack some % or $ amount on to your bill for the staff, but frequently I'm a better tipper than the value of the service charge. So the service charge inhibits me from tipping at all, even when I might see exemplary service from some staff member, because I have it in my head that I've already obliged.

And then there are the Italians.

S
S
Don't even go there.

D
D
BIG tippers, the Italians?

Americans typically tip 15-20% for good service, but when I see a service fee, I don't add a tip. I hate that service charge thing also. I also believe that in most cases the service fee doesnt get to the employee and its a way to not pay staff very well (OMG I'm agreeing with Pedro, what's wrong with me?). I also do not like the practice of tip sharing, where a restaurant makes a waiter share their tips with the kitchen, unless its a small percent like 10%. Again the owner can get away with low wages in the kitchen. I'm going to get in trouble for my next racist comment... most Belizeans don't tip. And if they do leave a little bit, its chump change, like a dollar for a $50 cheque. And we all know how notorious the Italians are about not tipping, but if you go to Italy, they charge a service fee, and that is the tip. So maybe when they come here they figure that every place has service fees, and that's why they don't tip.

Why are British unlike a canoe?

Canoes tip easily!

Reality..What a concept!
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 323 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.