Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#103285 05/18/05 01:57 PM
D
DuxFan Offline OP
OP Offline
D
We are coming to AC in September for our honeymoon and were advised by travel agents and the hotel that it may be prudent to get travel insurance as the hotel does not reimburse due to hurricanes. I called the travel insurance company but they advised its $170 and I only get my money back if the airport is closed for a min of 48 hours. Just wondering if anyone has any advice especially since they are predicting an above average hurrican season. Thanks!

#103286 05/18/05 02:44 PM
DuxFan,

We have always gotten insurance but have always wondered if it was worth the money. Well last January our trip to and from AC was the trip from h---. Absolutely no ones fault, all the problems were weather and mechanical related.

The trip down, due to weather, we missed all our connections and had to spend the night in Houston (Room, meals, ground transportation etc.) after a wonderful three weeks we headed home and in Miami had a 6 hour mechanical delay which means we missed our connection out of Boston. In addition it was in the middle of another blizard so we were delayed even more.

After we finally got home I contacted the insurance company (we had gone through InsureMyTrip.com) They immediately sent me a claim form, I completed it - it was very basic. Gave them copies of our expenses and an explainantion on what had happened. About two weeks later we received our check, it not only covered our expenses but the check was for about $150 more than we had claimed. The extra was "trip interuption".

Needless to say we were very please. The total check was more than double what we had paid for a premium. Couple this with the insurance coverage that was included incase of medical problems or worse and it is well worth the money.

Two years ago while we were on AC a gentleman from Montana passed away from a heart attack. His poor wife did not have insurance and was faced with trying to secure the funds to have him returned to home. It was an awful time and something I hope no one ever has to go through, but it is an example that the worset of things can happen unexpectedly and insurance would have made a horrible time a little easier to get through.

If you go and have no problems you might say - gosh I did not need to spend the money. But the peace of mind that it provides for a fairly small amount of money is well worth the expense.

I won't travel anywhere with out insurance coverage.

Byron

Byron
#103287 05/18/05 03:25 PM
TravelGuard.com has great rates for basic leisure travel. Very pleased with them.

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
#103288 05/18/05 04:39 PM
We booked a trip to Jamaica last September thru Expedia, and added the insurance. We knew it was iffy, because of hurricane season, but it was the only time we could go. Well, Ivan went thru Jamaica the week before we were due to go. Got back every cent, except the $100 insurance. It was well worth it! Will not travel without insurance again.

#103289 05/19/05 02:26 PM
D
DuxFan Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks for the feedback guys - Byron and Kris - where did you guys get your travel insurance?

Scott

#103290 05/19/05 02:34 PM
I
I
I've been using Travel Guard for several years. They seem to have the best prices for comparable coverage.

#103291 05/19/05 03:49 PM
Try this:
https://insuremytrip.com It compares travel insurance company's benefits & prices.

#103292 05/19/05 04:31 PM
D
DuxFan Offline OP
OP Offline
D
cool website. thanks Barbara

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 282 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.