Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#103414 - 05/19/05 09:09 PM Trip Report for May 6th - 15th
Fluffy Offline
Day 1 - My first day back on the island
I couldn't get out of Michigan fast enough. The temperatures had been awful and it seemed that winter just wouldn't quit. I arrived at the Belize International Airport and after going through immigrations and customs made a beeline for Jets bar. Jet, my buddy, served me the best tasting Belikin I had tasted since January. And the best tasting hotdog. He hooked me up with several more Belikins and told me not to worry about missing my flight. He called Tropic Air and told them to call him when my flight was leaving, just so I wouldn't miss it. As instructed, at 2:00 they called and said it was loading time. After saying goodbye to Jet, with lots of kisses and hugs, I might add, I boarded the plane with much excitement. 20 minutes later, I was on Ambergris Caye and 5 minutes after that I was checking in at Exotic Caye Beach Resort. The temperature was a balmy 91 degrees. Much more conducive to my liking then the 45 degrees I had left behind. Ben helped me with my bags to my room. I quickly changed into a swimsuit (this would be my typical attire for the remaining part of my trip) and headed for Crazy Canucks. All the familiar faces were there; Jesse, Pirate, Paul & Heather, Roger, Don & Carol, Lacey, Frank & Joy, Peter & Joyce, Nancy, and a whole host of others. I sigh, boy, it felt like I had never left. It felt like home. As I visited with everyone, my newest friend on the island arrived, Govikes. What a wonderful new friend I have found. Talkative, friendly, sincere, genuine. I instantly liked her. I'm not quite sure I remember how the night ended but all I know is I woke up in the morning with a huge smile on my face.

Day 2 - Vacation has started
At the pool by 8:00 a.m. Boy what a fun first night. I feel like I had never left. Met up with folks at Canucks and proceeded to Coconuts to listen to Dennis Wolf. Then went to the pool hall, where I cried out the Michigan mating call after kicking some serious booty at pool.

Day 3 - Mother's Day
I was lounging by the pool getting some much needed sun and Evalee from the office yelled to me that I was being beckoned at BC's. Shoot, my dance card was getting full already and this was only my second day. I dash off to BC's to meet up with Gela, LaurieMar, Govikes, Maila, and Lacey. Gela and LaurieMar had just arrived on the island from Placencia. Fun and friendly is all I can say about those two. After several cocktails, we decide to celebrate Mothers Day at Caliente's and treat ourselves to lunch and, of course, more drinks. So, Maila, Lacey and I head out leaving behind Gela, LaurieMar and Govikes. Promising to meet up with them later. After lunch and partying with Jan at a small beach bar in front of the Spindrift, we meet up with everyone at Crazy Canucks and we decide to go to the Hammock House. Govikes hooks us up with a ride, courtesy of Peter. Peter whisks his haram off to the House in his private yacht (okay maybe a tad bit smaller but much better than hailing a taxi). What a blast that was. And I'm sure Peter didn't mind at all. After leaving the House after listening to Barefoot Skinny, Maila and I decide we still haven't had enough, so we proceed to Fido's and the Rehab. I hailed a taxi shortly after that, hit the bed, and woke up the next morning with a smile on my face.

Day 4 - Crazy Canucks Punta Night
All I can say is FUN, FUN, FUN

Day 5 - We meet the famous Tulu
Gela, LaurieMar, Govikes, Ronnie and his friend, myself and of course the infamous Tulu go snorkeling and bar hopping. When asked why he didn't have a radio on board, Tulu simply said he didn't need one and proceeded to sing. Everyone else then chimed in with all sorts of tunes. Fun, fun, Fun! OR should I say WooHoo!!! We went to Mexico Rocks for a bit of snorkeling, "watch out for that Pica, Pica". Some in the water but not too bad. Afterward, Tulu took us to the Costa Maya Reef and Palapa Bar for drinks. Gela and LaurieMar's dance card was full that night, so we headed back to the resort so they could get cleaned up and meet their friends for dinner. Me, I hung out at Canucks and talked it up with Nancy and Pirate most of the night. Once Canucks closed, we all went over to Barefoot Iguana's for some live music.

Day 6 - Sight see the south end of the island
Rented a golf cart for the day and took a tour of the south end of the island. I had always been north but hadn't experienced the south. Pretty desolate, but loads of fun. Stopped in at Caribe Island Resort but it appeared to be a ghost town. No one around. That evening, went to play pool and got my ars seriously kicked. Paybacks are hell. But all in good fun.

Day 7 - Lounging by the pool and Wet Willy's in the evening for ladies night. Of course, Big Daddy's afterward.

Day 8 - More lounging by the pool
This was probably my laziest day and night. All the fun had caught up with me and I just couldn't take it any longer. Slow day of drinking but loads of fun. In bed at an early time tonight!

Day 9 - Reality hits. Tomorrow I leave.
The last day I'm there I tend to come down from the high. I have always gotten like that. I see all my friends at Canucks and we exchange hugs and kisses. I will truly miss each and every one of them.

Day 10 - Leaving on the jet plane
As tears roll down my face, I take one last stroll around the resort. I say my good byes to Josephine, the housekeeper, Ben, the maintenance man, and Joe. Joe is a kind, friendly gentleman that watches over the dive shop Ocean Adventures at night. I usually bring him juice each evening before the real partying starts and we talk. What a gentle soul. "Good bye, Shelly. When are you coming back" I always hear. "Soon", I say, "very soon".

Drummer Dan is at Canucks and says to me, "Shelly, there are people that come and go from this island all the time. Many of them return but aren't really meant to be here. I can honestly say, that this island is meant for you". Come back soon. We will miss you". More tears! I hug Dan and Christian and Rick takes me to the airport. "No more tears", Rick says. You'll be back soon.

Well, it has taken me almost a week to write this trip report. Pictures to follow as soon as I can figure out how to post them. I have already planned my next trip for October. Many of you who read this, will understand exactly what I'm feeling, then again, there are a few of you who won't. AC isn't for everyone. It is a small island that hasn't been commercialized as of yet. Friendly people who go out of their way to say hello, how are you doing, can I help you. Restaurants that don't require shoes or shirts. Where the attire is shorts, t-shirts, bathing suits. A very laid back, relaxing island that has a great feeling about it. Who know's if I will call this island home one day, but as of right now, I will continue to travel to this one little island that many of us call Paradise.

PS Places to eat at Papi's, Estels, Ruby's, Monkey Bites, Caliente's, Caramba's, BC's, and George's. I also had Lagniappe Provisioning stock my refrigerator with soda's, water and beer and of course some preselected food items. Very convenient and affordable.

#103415 - 05/20/05 02:21 AM Re: Trip Report for May 6th - 15th
LaurieMar Offline
Shelly: Good read, especially since I was there at times! My mind is still there, so what the hell. We had such perfect weather and met great people. Govikes rocks - a sweetie, who gave us lots of good ideas to make our vacation the best.

We definitely had no problem getting our drink on, our dance on, our shop on, our snorkel on. Eating? What can I say. . ."see food eat it" diet when down there.

I feel the same way as you about the place. All my friends/co-workers said I looked so relaxed, tan and happy. That is what Belize does to my soul.

Whoooo hooooo......

#103416 - 05/20/05 03:24 AM Re: Trip Report for May 6th - 15th
collyk Offline
Thanks for that Fluffy. Sounds like you had a sensational time. Look forward to pictures.
Belize Wedding Photography

#103417 - 05/20/05 09:06 AM Re: Trip Report for May 6th - 15th
captjeff Offline
fluffy my love missed you..sounds like a nice trip .. we will meet next time .glad you got to live the dream and enjoy sanpedro again ..
Living The Dream Every Day!

#103418 - 05/20/05 09:35 AM Re: Trip Report for May 6th - 15th
Fluffy Offline
I'll be back down there in October Capt Jeff...hopefully, we'll meet then.

#103419 - 05/20/05 09:47 AM Re: Trip Report for May 6th - 15th
govikes Offline
Fluffy, I'll help ya count the days til the next trip! Then it will be time for more fun and adventures - hey LaurieMar and Gela, ya want in on that? laugh

#103420 - 05/20/05 11:35 AM Re: Trip Report for May 6th - 15th
Gela Offline
Ya, I want in on that laugh Nice report Fluffy - you helped fill in the gaps in my journal laugh
Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's" frown

#103421 - 05/23/05 10:13 AM Re: Trip Report for May 6th - 15th
LaurieMar Offline
Yeah, I want in too - I could return next week, except for this thing called a JOB!

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (pamkillen, debbief, 1 invisible), 49 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,739 Topics
461,315 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.