Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#103719 - 05/24/05 12:36 PM capt's jeff may fishing and food report
captjeff Offline
Well fishing fans here is the skinny on May. All in all it was good to very good. While the wind did blow from the east north east 10 to 20 miles an hour... our reef days fishing south were productive. We tucked behind cover close to the crab islands to block the wind as off shore was not in the plan this week. The Capt fished with three guides... Juan Almerita, Franciso Verde, and Ramon Guerrero... all three great guides.

Day one and two fished with John and Julie from the board j&j. Super nice couple, and John loves to fish. We caught snapper, small grouper, lots of non stop action with a few big gray snapper mixed in. We only fished until noon as we can catch all we want in four hours. We used #2 or #3 size hooks with live sardines and a very small shot sinker as wind could blow some times up to 20 miles a hour. We fished on all reef days 45 min ride south from San Pedro to the channels and shallow reef and car wrecks in 10 to 15 foot of water...

On day three and four I took out some local kids to try fishing and they just loved it. Again had non stop action on day four. Took out Chris my buddy and again some local kids. One chap Cody, a son of my contracter, who did not stop chit-chatting as he always said he could see a big fish behind our boat, bla bla bla... well he hooks this fish and it spools his line and snaps the 15lb test like nothing. So we say you're in the car wreck we are fishing, no fish, only your imagination. Cody says no it was a jew fish. So I put a large sardine on and say ok, where is this huge fish he shows me... well holy moly I a get a big bite and it snaps my line too... wait just a cotton picking minute... we may have a big fish after all. So our guide Poncho Verde says lets get out the heavy stuff and see whats the deal... he puts on a small grunt, we just caught and use a 50lb test, plus big rod . with wire leader and a big sinker sends it to the bottom and pow, pow, pow, bam we have a huge jew fish (goliath grouper) on. A few minutes later fish on gaff and in boat (see photos), it will feed a lot of hungry folks in Belize... no fishing story here!! Lots of fun and action was had by all. Even Chris caught fish (as he has no floppy rod now)...

Day five was Pedro 1 from the board (yes, shy peter, or is it motor mouth???) and his buddy Simon and Steve from coconets internet cafe, a motley crew to say the least. Again go almost an hour south to the car wrecks, fish all around us. We are hooking jacks, some big, some small, plus spanish mackeral, snapper and grouper. A mixed bag of fish, again non stop action. Peter is sleeping as usual when Steve hooks a nurse shark and reels it to the boat. Peter wakes up at the same time to look down in the water and to see what's happening... perfect timing. Just as the shark comes to the surface and snaps his jaws... Peter jumps up in fright. I have never seen Peter move so fast, the big sissy boy that he is... as he runs to the back of the boat, we all had a belly laugh, he was so funny. We cut the shark off the line and send it home. Again a living the dream day out in the shallow water close to San Pedro.

John went bone fishing with Poncho Verde and hooked some nice bone fish, but the the fly fisherman this week had challenges with the high wind but did produce some nice catches of bone fish. On some days we saw hundreds of fish tailing in the shallow flats. This is a bone fish paradise. We did see some tarpon in the channels and permit in the flats as well. We booked all three guides thru Steve at the coconets internet cafe, he is handling the fishingsanpedro.com web site and is now booking six famous guides and Capts of San Pedro. fishingsanpedro.com will soon have a new web site, but for now, you can telephone #1508 721 6556 a stateside call or belize 011 501 226 2835... or email sdemaio@snet.net

The weeks weather was just perfect... very hot but wind cooled off the days and gave it a real tropical feeling.

My food report was my usual haunts, breakfast at Estelles on the beach opens at 6AM for fishermen... great food... the fried jacks a must and a breakfast burrito so big can feed two...
Jade Garden for chinese, the best home made egg rolls in the world...
Paulys Pizza now on my must eat in list new york style pizza...
B/C bar bbq on the beach next to Sun Breeze Hotel on sunday, outstanding food, 11am til 3pm... ribs/chicken/fish/shrimp and fixings and ice cold beer.

Food in San Pedro has been just super... a vast variety of fabulous places one better than the other.
Had time to meet new and old friends, like Govikes, Peter, yes pedro 1, sorry but i love this guy, Chris, Steve... and some new ones Gela, Lauriemar, missed fluffy. Ship does happen, may be next time... did have great times with j@j john and julie, beautiful people, took some kids fishing, did some relaxing, a true living the dream week in San Pedro... my pictures are posted below just click on line and enjoy...

Me, Chris, 2 local boys and Capt. Poncho Verde smiling after a great day of fishing

Me & Chris and the big Jewfish (poli...ig mother fish.

Local boy with a snapper, and notice a Cruise Value Center hat, free of course

Simon, peter\'s friend, first time fishi...it for an hour.

Everybody cleaning fish after a hard day at work.

Our guide Juan\'s boat, twin engine, look at the beautiful water, after a living the dream day

Poncho Verde\'s 2 boats, one reef boat, one flats lagoon boat. Great guide.

John with Hilly Boo on a night tarpon cuda run, no bites on the tarpon but did catch cuda.

Capt. Juan Almeta and his mate Pete with...aught this year

Some of the small grouper we were catching with Capt. Juan, nice eatin.

Poncho and John with some of the bonefis...live with fish.

Another bone

Same big mother snapper, just like to look at it twice

This is the one that got away, tried my best. This would have made my day, had I landed it.
Living The Dream Every Day!

#103720 - 05/24/05 01:08 PM Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report
Gela Offline
CJ - I vow to go fishing with you one day laugh
Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's" frown

#103721 - 05/24/05 01:13 PM Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report
travelqueen Offline
Great trip report Capt. Jeff! The first part of your story is a bit of a different language to me although, I hope to learn the world of fishing very soon. Hope to run into you soon while, "living the dream"!

#103722 - 05/24/05 01:30 PM Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report
Fluffy Offline
Capt Jeff: I am so sorry I missed you. Hopefully we can connect soon. I'd love to try my hand at fishing with you.

Great trip report...you're living the dream in a huge way!!

#103723 - 05/24/05 01:43 PM Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report
BFaucett Offline
Capt Jeff: I couldn't get the people that I was with moving on Sunday so I didn't get to the BBQ on Sunday until about 4PM so I guess I missed you. I went on 7 dives and went fishing once and did very well. I didn't know that Baracuda was good eating! Had a great time, maybe we can get together the next time. Capt Bob
I need another vacation.

#103724 - 05/24/05 02:59 PM Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report
captjeff Offline
gela your on make it happen ,love ,,living the dream bab...y

#103725 - 05/24/05 03:00 PM Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report
captjeff Offline
fluffy next time .for sure..

#103726 - 05/24/05 03:01 PM Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report
captjeff Offline
travel queen will translate fisherman talk for you when your down next trip,,

#103727 - 05/24/05 03:03 PM Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report
captjeff Offline
bfaucett was there till 2 pm then went back home to my condo just stuffed ... had to soak the body in the pool .the bc bbq was awesome that day ... what food .yum yum ,,,yum ...

#103728 - 05/24/05 03:13 PM Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report
BFaucett Offline
I was thinking that BC's would be a big place but I guessI was wrong. I had done lots of reading about SP over the last few years but there were lots of things that I didn't expect like the dirt roads, the laid back attitude of the people, and the ferry to the north end. It was a great trip, I just wish the Belize government would spend some money picking up some of the trash in some places.
I need another vacation.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
4 registered (RedRover, Marty, wade the gringo, 1 invisible), 59 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,684 Topics
461,181 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.