Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#103886 05/28/05 10:58 PM
S
spl Offline OP
OP Offline
S
After reviewing all of the 'travel tips' and reviews of many travel writers on AC and Belize in general, I feel a lot of information is outdated.(some even notes it is current to 2001 and some 2003) Further, all of the latest books I have purchased by these writers are not up to date in their information either. In your opinion, do you feel it would be beneficial to have another travel writer submit there advice/travel recommendations for Belize or is this not necessary? Some of you will probably agree with me and several others will simply think this is a rediculous question. Please give me your opinion, positive and negative feedback is appreciated.

S
S
Good idea!!! The self-proclaimed #1 travel writer is way behind and tries to fake it ftom his perch in the US. We desperately need a fresh approach to tourism travel writing and promotion.

S
spl Offline OP
OP Offline
S
This is just some of the examples of not current
info:
1) Here are a few items and their price at "The Island Supermarket", August of 2002...
2) The 1993 population census put Belize's population at approximately 205,000.
3) A new hospital is being built by the San Pedro Lions Club right now.
(this is already built and open)
4) MINISTRY OF NATIONAL SECURITY
AND IMMIGRATION 2 February 1999
(f) Religious, educational and voluntary workers-----------a fixed fee of $50.00 per annum.
(this and other fees are incorrect)
5) Internet and E-Mail Service- Rates are about $7.50US per hour.
6) As for local internet service, the only Internet Service Provicer in Belize is BTL, Belize Telecommunications Limited. For email service only, rates are $30.00bze/month plus $5.00 for additional hours after first 10. For full internet service, it is $45.00/month plus $8.00 for additional hours after 10, $4.00 after 20 hrs. (THIS IS NOT UPDATED INFO-BTL NOW OFFERS UNLIMITED INTERNET SERVICE AS WELL.)
7) The Sharks Bar a bar on a pier (this is now Tacklebox again and remodeled!)
8) Entry is granted for up to 30 days, with renewals of up to a total of six months permitted -renewals cost US$12.50 per month.
(THIS FEE WAS CHANGED MANY MONTHS AGO.)
9) When leaving Belize by air, there is a US$20 exit fee for those who are not citizens or residents of Belize. (THIS IS NOW INCLUDED IN YOUR TICKET AND YOU DO NOT PAY IT WHEN FLYING CONTINENTAL and slightly higher otherwise.)
10) The exact population of Ambergris Caye isn't known, but estimates are that it is now at least 4,000. As of 1999.
11) A 7% hotel tax is added to your hotel (not food or beverage) charges. A sales Tax of 8% is on services and seller-manufactured or prepared goods. (this was changed over a year ago.)
12) Tropic Air has three nonstop flights a day to San Pedro, currently at 7:30, 10:30 and 3:30, for US$35 one-way. Maya Island Air also has three flights a day, currently at 7:45, 12:30 and 4:45, for US$41 one-way, children US$29.
(IT HAS BEEN FOR OVER 2 YEARS ONE FLIGHT EVERY HOUR, AND IT IS $47/WAY.)
13) Hurricane season is June through September. This year (1999)... This talks about last hurricane being Mitch.
14) Gym- Working Out - La Bonita Tennis(we all know this has been San Pedro Family Fitness Center for some time.)
15) the section on the caves to visit fails to mention SEVERAL spectacular caves.
16) On the link for tours and things to do nowhere do they mention Zip lining and a lot of tourists on my plane rides back and forth to the states say they would have loved to do this, had they known about it.
17)"For a review of the events of 2001 in San Pedro, click here' (2001???)
18) Tarzan's nightclub(Jaguars for several years!)

S
spl Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Jesse,
thank you so very much for your responce. I was in the middle of writing some of the out dated info and saw someone already replied!!! Do you think the updated writings should be submited to Marty or submit a link to Marty to a seperate sight? Your feedback means a lot!

Why don't you drop him him an email with specifics? Maintaining up-to-date info on any site is extremely time consuming (first-hand experience) and I'll bet he might appreciate copy ready text (assuming it's his site to maintain). Me suspects some of the outdated info is not in his domain to change. So,links to other more current info might be beneficial.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
S
spl Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you, I'd be glad to email him all of my updates. I continue to find more and more. It is more some of the popular travel writers than anyone else who have either not visited the island in recent years or do not know of so many of the changes or new additions to the island. It is also interesting to note that none of the travel writers have lived in Belize. It is very important for first time travelers to the island or those moving there. I will definately submit all of my travel writings/updates on AC to him. I will also let him know when my book is finished. I am sure it will be beneficial to have info from someone who lives here. Thanks again Jesse and klcman for your great responces!

wow, what a critique!
i have no doubt you could pick apart most websites or books or any human for that matter for being out of date.

the miracle of this website is that it exists. if you want perfection go to heaven.

and fyi, by the time your book hits print it will also be out of date. and you can add it to the list above and we can all pick it to pieces

we do the best we can. any list of updated information i would be glad to receive and fix. i'd love to have a staff of seven and say to 5 of them go out and get the latest fact on these 200,895 facts and send em out each month. we do the best we can.

and most people are very pleased. we get many many comments on how helpful the site is. thousands in fact. so being helpful and having generally good information is actually a good thing, not a hideous thing.

and we have been here for years. you won't find us writing currently to go to the sharks bar. you may however find old postings or articles referring to go to sharks bar.

after ten years of doing the site, there is undoubtedly some old information. but it is overwhelmed by good i would assume from the emails i get.

i do appreciate the heads up tho. i am going thru the places you mention right now fixing them...

amen

keep up the good work Marty! we luz ya

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
Marty, you do a heck of a good job. Check out some of the websites for other Carribean destinations and you will find them to be so out of date it is just pitiful. Also, the message board reports keep adding information that is really up to date. Keep up the good work, there are those who apreciate it.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
S
spl Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Marty, it is not you that I was 'ripping to pieces.' I think this website is PHENOMINAL!!! I use this site every day, and in my opinion is THE BEST TRAVEL WEBSITE I HAVE EVER BEEN ON. I think it provides more info than any other country or islands website I've ever been on. I am very thankful for it and love it! I was simply commenting on 'travel writers' and writings which you have links to on this site. I also mentioned that I was finding many pieces of info up to 8 years old, and therefore I was happy to submit to you new up to date info for the site. I know it is important to travelers to have as accurate as possible info. In no way was I trying to offend you. I THANK you for such a wonderful site with useful information.
If you are interested in any updatated information from other writers, please feel free to contact me.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 153 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.