Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#10429 - 10/14/00 09:50 AM The Truth
Celeste Offline
I have had a love of Belize since I first set foot there in 1988. This message is for all of those (prospective tourists, residents and tourism advocates) who had me pegged as an alarmist.

What has happened to Belize this last few weeks is a real tragedy (not just the hurricane, but the flooding as well). Families displaced, lives lost, futures forever altered...I tried to explain the situation as best I could after my return to the States and was met with derision by some who may have thought I had an ulterior motive in my descriptions.....

I am relieved that the gov't has stated that tourism will be more feasible in November. That is more realistic than the "next week" that was originally said. Now that you have all read the reports on the health situation and the availabilty of services, I hope that you will forgive me for having been so graphic in describing what has come to be "the truth". Belize will survive and prosper again in the not-too-distant future, and be as warm and friendly as ever. I am thankful that I have had the opportunity to raise my son in his most formative years there - no regrets.

Marty, you're the best. Thank you for having allowed me to express my views and exchange information on your forum. I hope that the gov't. of Belize will compensate/recognize you for having been the Coconut Telegraph in a time when there was no other way to communicate and also for your future efforts, you deserve it. You have done more, from thousands of miles away, than most people who were "on the scene". I have an enormous amount of respect for you and also for Sandshaker. Thanks again.

Take care,
Celeste Phillips cphillips001@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by Celeste (edited 10-14-2000).]

#10430 - 10/14/00 11:55 AM Re: The Truth
Sandshaker Offline
Hats off to you girl!
Good luck to you and yours! Take care of that baby...he's a cutie.
Yes we will thrive again and we expect to here some tunes from you from time to time.
Next time you go to Pensacola....go by Jubilee's and have a Bushwacker for me
I'll be coming home for Christmas.....maybe we can hook up?
Best Wishes Always,
Tammy

#10431 - 10/14/00 03:42 PM Re: The Truth
Marty Offline
Thanks Celeste, I wish I could find that "next week" post, someone printed one out and carried it to town saying Marty said they would be ready in a week.

Baffles me, must have been some super early post or a misunderstanding.

Thaks for helping us figure out the situation. Its not always clear from here.

#10432 - 10/14/00 04:41 PM Re: The Truth
Chloe Offline
Celeste, I for one knows, that your accounting of San Pedro, was the turning point, of more clear cut answers to so many questions. You did everyone a huge favor in your reporting, and we could see the truth in your writings, and certainly it was not taken as you were alarmist by most.
It was difficult for some readers, to accept the truth. Godspeed to you and your child.

#10433 - 10/14/00 05:06 PM Re: The Truth
Laguna Punta Offline
Hi Celeste: I'm glad your all high and dry. I know that's a relief particularly with Carter. I got word that Celestino Garcia and Ercillia are alive and well living in Dr Elmers old apartment. With them is the Preacher and his family from down stairs. There not like Americans, da more da merrier. We need our space. The Wood Plex, as ya had reported, is gone. Haven't heard any word of the families there. I gather their OK, as the homeless can be. I look forward to listening to your beautiful music, back in the shadows, back in San Pedro. As Warren Beatty and Dustin Hoffman sang in Ishtar "Telling the truth is dangerous business" If ya haven't seen it, ya should. Take care: Bill Billizer1@yahoo.com

#10434 - 10/14/00 05:52 PM Re: The Truth
Anonymous
Hi Celeste,
Glad to here your ok, Im glad you posted the info you knew of and would love to here from you personally

Phil and Lee

#10435 - 10/14/00 07:27 PM Re: The Truth
Barbara K Offline
Hi Celeste,

You were asking about Barefoot Skinny and family a while back - just heard from Ana & Pablo that Tim & gang are in Miami for a week or so. Maybe Dave's sister in Dallas has heard from them if you're trying to get in touch.

#10436 - 10/14/00 11:53 PM Re: The Truth
Celeste Offline
Greetings everyone,
Thanks for the replies and support. Marty, I read the post about the island being ready for tourists next week (now). I can't remember who posted it, but I am positive it wasn't you.(By the way, MY posts ended up in the hands of Patty Arceo herself, and she now wants my head on a platter.) I believe it was someone who was told by their resort to show up or lose their money.(I don't think we ever actually did find out which resort even though Belize Mama and Sandshaker both offered to interecede...) It would have been a huge mistake on the part of the resort to encourage (extortion, really) these folks to come to a place that wasn't ready. Better to wait and get a glimpse as it should be than to become an unwitting "survivor"/inadverdant volunteer, when all those people wanted to do in the first place was relax and enjoy the beautiful surroundings and people....

'Nuff said.

Please keep in touch if you wish. I do expect to come to SP when Carter's school lets out in June, at least for a visit. But we have turned another page in our lives....

Thanks to you all for having been our friends. We will be thinking of you often.

Good luck and God Bless,
Celeste Phillips cphillips001@hotmail.com

#10437 - 10/15/00 04:49 PM Re: The Truth
susangg Offline
I believe the "ready next week" message (to which several of us posted a reply strongly disagreeing) was posted by Ray Auxilliou, who for some reason is able to post as "Marty". Ray means well, but he has a tendency to restate rumors or opinions that he has heard as though they were fact without investigating. He was only trying to help but got his facts wrong.
MARTY: You might want to set it up so that only YOU can post as "Marty," because when you say something, we all know that its true. Ray should be able to post his own messages as himself like everyone else, same for Peter and others.

#10438 - 10/15/00 06:52 PM Re: The Truth
Anonymous
YIKES...........CELESTE...NUDDA PAGE ....YU MIEN U AINT GONNA BE MEKIN YUR HOME WITH CARTER ,,AND YUR MUSIC IN BZ NO MOE.........!!!!!! YIKES...DIAMMMM....JUS WHEN WE GOT TO KNO YOU TOO.....GEZZZZZ GAL YOU KNO YOU CIAN STAIWEH...!!!
I FOR ONE [and some of you kno who is dis] AM DISSAPPOINTED...AS I'M SURE THOUSANDS OF TOURISTS ARE..{""what !!! no celeste...singin this year""....is what they'll be sehin}....
I'D BE INTERESTED WHY YU GAAN,,,?GEZZZ GAL SAN PEDRO GONNA MISS YOU AN CARTER...GEEZ WE NO GET TO SEE DI BWAI GROW....YOU WONT BE GON LONG..FAH SURE!!
we'll be hearin you sing AGAIN B4 WE KNO IT,,,,OH OHhhhh AH DI GET CHOKED UP !!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 28 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,674 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,056 Topics
462,284 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.