Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#104388 - 06/06/05 11:31 PM Mainland Trips
shelley Offline
Hi All,

I've received information on these trips so far but don't know which is the best? Can anyone help guide us on which we'll get the most for the $

Altun Ha River Wild Life Tour
Lamanai River Trip
Jaguar Paw/tubing/ruins/zoo
Barton Creek/tubing/ruins/zoo
Cave Branch/tubing/zoo

#104389 - 06/06/05 11:47 PM Re: Mainland Trips
Barbara K Offline
Barton Creek or Lamanai, IMO

#104390 - 06/06/05 11:58 PM Re: Mainland Trips
shelley Offline
Thanks for the quick response Barbara. Which did you perfer and why?

#104391 - 06/07/05 12:46 AM Re: Mainland Trips
Anonymous
we loved Lamanai - first there's a good drive through the country side - hopefully with a guide that will point out all the interesting stuff, then a long ride down the river - again lots to see both villages and wildlife, the a great lunch, then a hike to very extensive and interesting ruins then the reverse trip home.

We also did the tubing, skipped the zoo so we could be on the river all day. It was also great, but if you have to choose the ruins win by far IMO.

We will see Altun Ha when we return this Sept.

#104392 - 06/07/05 02:13 AM Re: Mainland Trips
tropicalfan Offline
We HIGHLY recommend both Lamanai and the cave tubing. We did both excursions through Suya tours. Carlos was wonderful as a guide through the river. Lamanai was fantastic.
When you do the cave tubing, ask for "little Louie". He is an archeolgist. Took us (via combat crawl) back into some of the caves to see mayan pottery and a burial site. He was a wealth of information. My 20+ year old kids loved both of these adventures also.

#104393 - 06/07/05 02:31 AM Re: Mainland Trips
sev32665 Offline
zoo/cave tubing at jaguar paw and lamanai---both trips were amazing! cave tubing does have about a 20 minute hike before you get to the water though, can be kinda "intense"if not used to the humidity and altitude. i am from florida and was very winded by the time we got to the water, but well worth the hike.and besure you have sandals or watershoes for the rocks can be slippery and painful on the feet.

#104394 - 06/07/05 06:19 PM Re: Mainland Trips
Barbara K Offline
All the trips are good. I just happen to prefer Barton Creek to the Jaguar Paw cave tubing - you see more of the countryside, the mountains and it's not as crowded. Prefer Lamanai to Altun Ha as it is larger, more spread out with jungle trails and more interesting - but I haven't been to either since the cruisers have been going in droves and I hear both are getting pretty trashed. Pity.

#104395 - 06/07/05 06:37 PM Re: Mainland Trips
SimonB Offline
Lamanai was still in very good shape when I went in February. I timed my trip to avoid the cruisers, something I would highly recommend you do as well, your tour company will know the days to avoid.

#104396 - 06/07/05 11:17 PM Re: Mainland Trips
Gordon Schumway Offline
I pulled this URL off this site somewhere else (can't remember whose post, sorry), but it's a handy little tool for avoiding cruisers.
http://www.cruisecal.com/dnn/default.aspx

#104397 - 06/07/05 11:44 PM Re: Mainland Trips
Anonymous
Wow - that is one handy site!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,064 Topics
462,323 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.