Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#10440 - 10/14/00 08:33 AM trees on caulker
Now that we know everyone is ok and cleanup is underway, I'm wondering about the condition of coconut trees. I've gotten mixed messages about this. We don't have an island bare of beautiful coconut trees do we?

#10441 - 10/14/00 08:41 AM Re: trees on caulker
heyjude Offline
There are already threads on this:
Try looking at:

Topic: REPLANTING & BEAUTIFICATION PROJECT FOR REPLACING COCONUT TREES http://ambergriscaye.com/message/Forum2/HTML/002163.html

Topic: Caye Caulker News, coconut trees http://ambergriscaye.com/message/Forum2/HTML/001959.html

#10442 - 10/14/00 10:29 AM Re: trees on caulker
I've read those threads and will contribute to a replanting fund. But what I still don't get is, what percentage of the trees are lost? These trees evolve with hurricanes, surely they aren't all gone. If the loss of trees is as extreme as it seems, isn't there great concern over the effect that alone will have on tourism?

#10443 - 10/14/00 10:36 AM Re: trees on caulker
Sandshaker Offline
Lynn...you have a valid point.
We have many concerns right now.
We are concerned about how Keith will impact our tourism. More importantly though, our concerns right now lay in getting everything rebuilt, getting people back into homes, making sure everybody has food, water and medicine, and keeping everybody healthy.

When we have accomplished this...then we will decide what we need to do about the trees and beachfronts and such.

It isn't that they aren't important...they are....just not right now.

We will keep you posted.

#10444 - 10/14/00 10:39 AM Re: trees on caulker
Marty Offline
I've heard less than half the trees gone in SPO.

#10445 - 10/14/00 11:18 AM Re: trees on caulker
Daemyon Offline
I've just had a vision of Paisano, tin pan on the head, carrying a bag full of palm saplings like Johnny Appleseed throughout the island...the Belizean answer to re-planting!

#10446 - 10/14/00 11:56 AM Re: trees on caulker
Cinca Offline
Check out page 2. There is a picture of CC from the water. http://cayecaulker.org/pics.html

#10447 - 10/14/00 12:09 PM Re: trees on caulker
Sandshaker Offline

Ahhhhh......I see trees!

Picture by Desi...

#10448 - 10/14/00 12:29 PM Re: trees on caulker
Chloe Offline
God knows I love palm trees, of all kinds.
But the first idea of visiting Ambergris is created due to the Barrier Reef, for diving and snorkeling, and the Island is an added bonus with the wonderful people that live there, and give us all the services, then the Palms just add to that, Paradise.
Dare To Deviate

#10449 - 10/14/00 07:07 PM Re: trees on caulker
Thanks for the comments from all. There is a new group of pics from Caye Caulker at <a href=http://www.teleport.com/~gouldd/keith.html>click here</a>
They are excellent and sadly show many trees down but many still standing as well.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Still a Bronco fan, 1 invisible), 13 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,687 Topics
461,187 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.