Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#104829 - 06/15/05 05:48 PM Hotel Advice
md4958 Offline
Hi Everybody!

My wife and I are planning our first trip to Ambergris in late July and we're both very excited. We are looking at different hotels on the island and are having a difficut time picking one based off of a hotels website.

My wife found the Belizean Shores Resort...can anybody tell me anything about this hotel, good, bad, or indifferent.

Can anybody make any recommendations on other hotels we should look at instead?

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.
-Moe

#104830 - 06/15/05 05:51 PM Re: Hotel Advice
travelqueen Offline
Depends on what's important to you... what do you want to get out of the trip?

#104831 - 06/15/05 05:58 PM Re: Hotel Advice
Anonymous
Because the beaches are not good swimming beaches a pool was a must for us - Banana Beach has two - plus the relatively inexpensive room price included breakfast every morning and the service from the staff was great. We checked out a lot of the other bigger hotels and there are many nice ones. Like TQ says: a lot depends on what's important to you

#104832 - 06/15/05 05:58 PM Re: Hotel Advice
Texan34 Offline
We like to stay in town. we have stayed at the Sunbreeze which was good and also Aqua Marina Suites. Both have pools and a good bar. We are trying the Myan Princess in about 3 weeks. I agree with TQ about what important to you.

#104833 - 06/15/05 05:59 PM Re: Hotel Advice
md4958 Offline
well my wife and I should really go on separate vacations.

She could sit on a beach all day for a week straight...I like to do "stuff" fishing, snorkeling, sightseeing, whatever...I get ansy if I'm on a beach for more than a day in a row...my wife tells me I dont know how to relax!

But since this trip was HER idea...I guess I can bear with a "relaxing" vacation this time. (plus, she has agreed to some "activity days" during our stay)

So I guess what is really important: Clean, friendly staff, decent eateries in the area, nice stretch of beach. Rooms dont have to be huge or anything, but on the beach would be preferable.

#104834 - 06/15/05 06:02 PM Re: Hotel Advice
Anonymous
when are you going and what price range are you looking at?

#104835 - 06/15/05 06:03 PM Re: Hotel Advice
md4958 Offline
lawcuci,

what do you mean the beaches "arent good swimming beaches"? How come?

#104836 - 06/15/05 06:05 PM Re: Hotel Advice
md4958 Offline
We are going late July early August. Looking to spend up to $200 per night.

#104837 - 06/15/05 06:06 PM Re: Hotel Advice
travelqueen Offline
I recommend for you... Sunbreeze!!! Clean, good pool, great rest. & close to town.

Yep, Law is correct. Beaches are not good for swimming... or not what one would expect. However, I swim/snokel in them all the time! LOL!

#104838 - 06/15/05 06:06 PM Re: Hotel Advice
Anonymous
Because of the reef, there is no wave action, so there is a lot of sea grass at the shoreline - it's kind of yucky to walk through. Some hotels clear it out routinely (I recall that Banana Beach is one) but the water just off shore is still kind of mucky. If you're interested in swimming in the ocean - the best way to do that is to swim off the end of the piers where you're out past the grass and muck. For swimming and cooling off I simply preferred the pools.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 26 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,021 Topics
462,212 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.