Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#104891 - 06/16/05 02:30 PM Costa Maya Reef Resort
Sir Isaac Newton Offline
From another forum board

Member # 11455

Rate Member posted 03-14-2005 01:10 PM
Since I was frustrated that there wasn't much positive posted about Costa Maya Reef Resort on Ambergris Caye (CMRR) before my husband and I went for our vacation there (we just returned last week) and several others have posted queries about it on this site, I thought I would post our review so that others might have a better idea of what to expect. Sorry this is a bit lengthy but figured people would have the same questions I had....

We had a fabulous time at CMRR and it exceeded our expectations in many ways. I saw a lot of bad press on the Belize forums from several years ago but I don't think any of that is relevant now.

However, there are a few caveats to this since it probably depends on what you like. Yes, it is pretty remote (6 miles north of San Pedro), only accessible by water taxi, but I found that to be one of its charms....it was very relaxing. However, if you wanted to go into town, the island ferry comes every 2 hours, the resort provides a free shuttle into town a couple times during the week, or you can rent a golf cart to go into town (we didn't but heard that was an adventure in itself...takes 1-2 hours).

Because the Belize Academy of Diving (BAD) has their dive shop right on CMRR's dock and the majority of tour operators would come pick you up at your dock since transportation was usually built into their fees, we didn't really see an issue with being 6 miles out of San Pedro. The resort has pretty much everything you need: good beach chairs and shaded areas, a fun bar on the beach, a nice pool, the rooms weren't anything fancy but were entirely functional and had AC, adequate space, storage, and kitchen items with a great view of the landscaped gardens or the beach. All had wonderful porches with hammocks to relax in.

You did need to pretty much bring what you needed as far as food, sundries, etc for much of the week before you got there but most people went to a grocery store in San Pedro and brought what they needed on the free boat shuttle the resort provides for check-in days (packing an extra tote bag for groceries would be something I recommend).

There's a restaurant at the resort, an activities coordinator, and the staff is warm, friendly and accommodating. Laura, Candace, Eddie, the folks at BAD (Tracy, Craig), everyone else (sorry, I can't remember more names!) did a great job of making us feel welcome and doing what they could to make our stay great. We had a couple snafus (our luggage didn't make it from Charlotte and came in the next day and one of our tours got switched from one day to another) but we found the staff very professional and they helped us out to get things straightened out.

You can snorkel right off the dock or right nearby at Mexico Rocks and see an amazing assortment of fish and even eagle rays. I would think it would be a pretty fun place for kids.

We did a tour of Xunantunich and the cave tubing and both were great. We would also highly recommend a snorkel trip to Hol Chan and another one on Ambergris Caye that was billed as an "Bacalor Chico ecological snorkel trip" that gave you a tour around the whole island, especially the Bacalor Chico national park, the channel between Mexico and AC, combined with 3 snorkel stops on the north east end - they were quite amazing....the variety of fish/sealife and corals up there was overwhelming...we actually saw reef squid which was quite cool.

Although I had read that it could be a problem, we didn't see a single mosquito the whole time we were there (early March). Also, as far as safety, there are security personnel (I think it was a father and son) that patrol the resort in the evening and at night and there are safes provided in the rooms.

1) they could use a small gift shop for snacks, suntan lotion, aftersun lotion etc on site....make sure you bring enough with you.
2) if you do arrange tours to the mainland (zoo, cave tubing, ruins), you will be riding in a boat down to the south side of the island (~15-20 minutes) and then ~50 minutes west to get to the Belize mainland. The 50 minute ride to the mainland was pretty bumpy in a small boat.
3) there are no phones in the rooms. There is a payphone near the front desk and also a hotel phone at a little table by the pay phone. We found that using a calling card to call home and then instructing family to call right back to the hotel phone using the main number was the cheapest and easiest - then you could sit at the little table to talk instead of standing by the payphone and it cost half as much.

I hope this helps the next person planning a stay at CMRR and that your stay is just as fun!
"The Little Store" is now open for business at Costa Maya Reef Resort

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net

#104892 - 10/15/05 09:36 AM Re: Costa Maya Reef Resort
Katie J Offline
hi Amy, We just got back from CMRR and had a great time. Everything was perfect, just as you said. Re: Downside #1. They did make a small gift shop and it was great for Emergencies only. A can of gingerale was 7 belize$ and a bag of Tostidos was 14 belize $. A little crazy, we don't like chips THAT much. I am going to post a review such as yours. Glad you had a great time, I know we did, and we had 2 kids in tow!

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (Marty, 2 invisible), 92 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,636 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,728 Topics
461,285 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.