Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#105511 - 06/29/05 04:33 PM Timeshare Marketing on the streets
Circuit Island Offline
Well if this is not turning into a little Cancun, I don't know what you would call it. I am surprized at the island town administrators and businesses on how they can accept that the streets get infested by this so called marketing staff harrassing tourists as they stroll the beach and streets on the island.
I had several of my friends were down there which I recommended the island for vacation,they had a good time, but they all came with the bad impression on how it will be in the coming years if the streets get polluted by this commission payed, disrespectable locals and outsiders. How do you get this outsiders to harrass other outsiders and sell you something they probably haven't experience themselves? Anyway, I am sending this message to open a discussion for those who think where this should go and maybe so the local authorities may act upon this unprofessional sense of marketing.
Thank you. CI

#105512 - 06/29/05 07:59 PM Re: Timeshare Marketing on the streets
GAY AND DAVID Offline
why would the town administrators & businesses stop it if it means more $$$$$$ coming into the island.
CHING CHING

#105513 - 06/29/05 08:19 PM Re: Timeshare Marketing on the streets
Amanda Syme Offline
Time shares sales are here, and here to stay as far as I can see.

In a free democratic society everybody has a right to make a living.

Time share is not for me, I don't care for hard sales technics and find it quite annoying to be harrassed by some of the hustlers.

I have seen time sales staff be pushy in the past, some complaints were made and I have definitely seen a less aggresive approach by these folks recently.

If the sales staff can take a polite "no" for an answer then I won't complain, but if you have to be rude or simply run the other way in order to avoid them, we certainly have a problem.

I am in the real estate sales business. I have found that time share sales do not affect my income because we are dealing with different types of investors.

It would be great if time share sales folks could wait for interested parties to seek them out, but I guess the "approaching them as they walk down the beach/street" method must work or they wouldn't employ it.

I would be interested to see if any recent visitors have an opinion.

#105514 - 06/29/05 08:20 PM Re: Timeshare Marketing on the streets
Amanda Syme Offline
yikes, excuse the spelling errors above!

#105515 - 06/29/05 09:01 PM Re: Timeshare Marketing on the streets
captjeff Offline
Amanda you have said the same thing I was thinking. the people on the street are trying to book you to go to there resort . it is there job to entice you ,they make it sound like it is a great thing to do on your trip ???? they get paid for getting you to go to the presentation ,but they are not up front about it!!!!! so they say things they should not say,and make it sound like a fun free time and not tell you whats the real deal.if they where honest they would say this is a time share deal and you may get beat up by a pushy time sales salesperson and it may ruin you day .but they get paid on you showing up. there are more and more of them on the street and they have become Annoying and I belive it is not good for sanpedro .they cheapen the image of this lovely island ..I do not want to debate time share .I now have made a friend on the island who sells it and does it with class and style ..my complaint is with the many people disguising what they offer ,ie;free ,info , on tours fishing etc. and wasting a valuable tourist vacation time.living the dream is to important to waste in paradise......

#105516 - 06/29/05 09:10 PM Re: Timeshare Marketing on the streets
SuzyQ Offline
My husband and I were pulled into the time share experience when we were there in January. The salesman were bright eyed teenagers from England. They were not too pushy and they were honest. They told us they got paid didly squat and they counted on people going to the resort for a tour in order to get their commission. We went, it was not an hour or two but about 4 hours and it was not unpleasant until we got tired and wanted to leave. Wouldn't do it again and wouldn't buy one of their time shares or stay in their resort. We are very happy taking our chances with booking in town when we come and that's not till next (2006) fall frown frown frown

#105517 - 06/29/05 10:12 PM Re: Timeshare Marketing on the streets
captjeff Offline
bet you wish you could get your 4 hours back..

#105518 - 06/29/05 10:37 PM Re: Timeshare Marketing on the streets
Happy Birthday Sir Isaac Newton Offline
Most, if not all, go for the free gift. Honestly, who goes because they are wanting to buy a timeshare? Maybe one in a hundred attendees.

Seems a free week of accomodations on the island is the current gift of choice.

So, in all fairness, the people attending have their own agenda as well. We all know, there is no such thing as a free lunch (or week in Belize).

The timeshare insiders, here in Belize, are trying hard to keep the marketing tactics as low impact as possible. Trust me, these businessmen DO NOT want a Cancun type of playing field here. The very thing that has spoiled the industry in many locations and forced many developers to choose "join em'" instead of "fight em'".

My company, for one, will not employ seasoned foreign marketing agents, as they bring with them highly aggresive behaviour. We choose to give oportunity and train local residents who, if good, can make a decent living for themselves and their families. We currently have five young Belizeans on our program

SIN

#105519 - 06/29/05 10:44 PM Re: Timeshare Marketing on the streets
Skyliner Offline
We were on AC in April and were never approached about timeshares. Although I appreciate the salesperson's need to earn money, I hate the timeshare come-ons and associated high pressure of the "90 minute" presentation. At more foolish times of my life, we attended several timeshare presentations. Unfortunately we never met the sales people that handled themselves with style and class. I suppose there aren't enough of that type around - perhaps they migrate to other endeavors.

We own a couple of timeshares, which we totally enjoy, but, we bought them resale - at 40 to 50% of the price offered by the timeshare developers.

So as Capt. Jeff said - timeshare presentations are a waste of invaluable vacation time. Attendees invariably leave the presentation frustrated and feeling abused. And, the folks that actually purchase at the presentation have just dropped a huge wad of money for the developer's promotional budget and the salesperson's commission.

#105520 - 06/29/05 11:17 PM Re: Timeshare Marketing on the streets
captjeff Offline
sin my brother ,good for you .as you are a true professional.and the fact you employ locals is to be commended.but you are a exception , wish all had your integrity ...and I am glad you shared this info with us ,thank you!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 42 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,079 Topics
462,375 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.