Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Hurricane Emily didn't provide AC with a drop of rain and the breeze was not even strong enough to keep the mosquitoes at bay. I went snorkeling on Saturday as the surface didn't look too rough. BUT - yuck! The water was filthy. It was impossible to see beyond my outstretched arms. Tons of sea grass bundled up like tumble weed rolling across the shallow bottom.
At sunset the waves were breaking on the sea wall just south of the rickety dock to the north of us. Bets were on that this hazard would collapse - but it didn't even loose any more planks. As the wave came over the wall they rolled south down the face of it leaving deposits in the low lying areas of beach.
Monday dawned beautiful. Tuesday was the same as the island came back to life.
Then, this morning (Wednesday) a storm moved in from the west that blew everyone off their feet! Just as all the pool furniture was being put back in place, just after the beach was raked; just after we all relaxed we got HIT! I wish I had a way to gauge the wind. Suffice it to say the rain was coming down at a 45 degree angle and the palm trees were being whipped around. The sky was full of lighting and I can't help but count the seconds between the flash and the thunder. It started at 25 and came from the north east. At one point it seemed just off shore with a count of six. By the time it had rolled south, on to a count of 15, the rain had stopped. I would guess we had several inches in less than an hour.
This was such a surprise that masses of people were drenched. However, no one was complaining. We so sorely need the rain and as my mother always said, "You are neither sugar nor salt; you won't melt!"
wink

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Harriette - I'm glad you got rain. Mother Nature really wants to remind us who's boss - even though she spared AC laugh

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"
S
S
Yeehah, took off from San Pedro airstrip just as it hit, we took off north over the town and I don't think the plane had gone more than a hundred yards down the strip before it was yanked up into the air by the squall winds. Didn't much like the stall alarms but overall it was a cool ride.

Still not a drop of rain In San Ignacio! Beautiful weather out here.

Barb - are you going to be back in AC soon? I'm there 8/12 - 8/29.

Sandi
...save me some seaweed!! :rolleyes:

Gone fishing!!
I know it was less than 60 mph because my wind gauge has recorded a gust of that speed back on the 14th. I'll reset so that I can keep track.

I'll bet it was close to 50 mph yesterday, trees were definitely leaning.

Let's all hope for a little more rain - streets are getting dusty again.

ScubaLdy,
How is that bulkhead holding up in front of the two vacant lots?

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
OP Offline
Loansum - seems to be no change in the sea wall.
It was reported that there is a big storm coming our way from the south. Not developing into a hurricane but supposedly carrying a lot of rain. We need it.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 149 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,202
Posts500,025
Members20,466
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.