Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#106545 - 07/28/05 10:53 AM Tourism Zone?
Sir Isaac Newton Offline
As I continue to press the idea of needing a reason to be on Ambergris Caye, I am continually reminded the Belize is under the watchfull eye of the US and UN in regards to Civil Rights violations.

Some say it is "unconstitutional" to restrict free movement within one's country of nationality.

Well, if true, what about the Commercial Free Zone on the northern border with Mexico? Citizen's of Belize and Resident's, for that matter, are not permitted in the "zone".

If a free zone for commercial retail purposes can restrict access, why not a commercial tourism zone?

Some may not agree but without strong measures set in place, nothing will be left to argue about as our hotels loss occupancy and crime increases.

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net

#106546 - 07/28/05 11:13 AM Re: Tourism Zone?
Chris Offline
Goodness me! You've made an excellent point, it's true, the Corozal Free Zone is actually in Belize territory and yet Belizeans are not allowed in unless they work there. Belizeans are not allowed to shop there, even if they want to pay the duty.

So there IS a precedent in Belize for restricting free movement of Belizean citizens when it suits the government's interests. All we have to do now is convince our government that it's in THEIR interests to restrict the movement of crimminals to Ambergris Caye.

#106547 - 07/28/05 01:13 PM Re: Tourism Zone?
Sir Isaac Newton Offline
....or send them a big fat gratuity for allowing the Tourism Zone Act of 2005.

Definitely hard to police the entrance off all persons, but it would allow the removal of those found "on island" without authorization.

Good idea?

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net

#106548 - 07/28/05 01:27 PM Re: Tourism Zone?
FishingSanPedro Offline
Chris, Chris,

I am worried that this actually makes some sense to a libertarian like me. I believe all people should be able to walk this planet unencumbered by government. However, since my 'utopian' beliefs are apparently not in the near future at least this way the restrictions will for the benefit of the people and not the government.

We must be watchful that the officials that limit access do not overstep OUR bounds.
fishingsanpedro@snet.net to book your fishing trips.

#106549 - 07/28/05 02:50 PM Re: Tourism Zone?
SP Daily Offline
First step: You get a permit to be here.
Next: You pay for a permit to be here.
Then: You pay a heavy annual fee to live here.
Finally: You discover that someone has "disappeared" all the money collected and theres no more policing, trash pickup, etc.

#106550 - 07/28/05 03:09 PM Re: Tourism Zone?
Otteralum Offline
Good point Jesse. Also a libertarian, I see major opportunities for abuse.
I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.

#106551 - 07/28/05 03:15 PM Re: Tourism Zone?
SimonB Offline
All tourists are required to register at their hotel with the BTB. Shouldn't landlords also be required to register all tenants and shouldn't all tenants be required to show a social security card or passport to be allowed to rent on the island?

#106552 - 07/28/05 03:51 PM Re: Tourism Zone?
SPDebbie Offline
That's a good point SimonB smile

#106553 - 07/28/05 06:05 PM Re: Tourism Zone?
Littleengine Offline
Tourists have to register? What's the BTB? Should we also be checking in with our own embassy (if there is one)?

#106554 - 07/28/05 06:49 PM Re: Tourism Zone?
klcman Offline
Of course you "register" Little - you register with the BZE gov't when you enter, by filling uot the lilttle arrival records prior to passing through Immigration (your home gov't already knows you left, via flight manifests filed) and then you register with the hotel when you arrive.

BTB = Belize Tourism Board

Why the hell would you want to check in with your Embassy? For what purpose?

Several years ago, I witnessed the head of an Embassy (country best left un-named and no it wasn't the USA) come to AC in "search" of a tourist who had supposedly disappeared. This high-level official and her 3 minions did nothing for 5 days but work on their tan & drink lots of Belikin & One Barrel, only to leave 5 days later stating the mission aborted - no missing tourist to be found :rolleyes:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (Marty, 2 invisible), 92 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,636 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,728 Topics
461,285 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.