Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Patricia Verde, Administrator for San Pedro Town Council,
announced just before noon, Thursday, 11 August 2005, that,
weather and road conditions allowing,
the San Pedro Town fogger will make trips north of Boca del Rio
twice a week, on Wednesdays and Fridays.

The first spray is expected Friday, 12 August.

At this time the SPTC will be using their big sprayer
as the two smaller fogging machines are still in the Corozal machine shop.

This generous action is greatly appreciated!!
and not only by residents and visitors to
the North Ambergris Caye area,
but by all the construction and resort employees
who work north of the river.

!!Thank You!!

poison

S
S
That's right! Dengue is so much better for you!

S
S
Sorry Barbara but you don't live with the mosquitoes when they're bad. I'll take a little bit of poison every now and then.

I must have had over 100 bites yesterday while I was working in the blazing sun building dog houses. They sprayed just after dark and again at 4am and it was much better today.

L
L
When I was there last August, I noticed lots of mosquitos, but not so much at all, on trips in May and November. Is this typical for this time of year or is it just a random thing?

I live outside of Sacramento, CA and they have spraying by planes the last few nights at dusk by planes (first time ever). 26 people have contacted West Nile Virus. I think I would rather have the spraying than the disease.

S
S
Whenever we have rain the mosquitoes come out and do their nasty things. Rain's a bit of a mixed blessing as it keeps the dust down, cools things off and fills the cisterns but it does supply the water the critters need to multiply.

don't you think the poison causes its own diseases (cancers)? They spray here in El Paso too.... for the 13 mosquitos we have each year! I am against it here too. Dengue and West Nile can be effectively treated/cured with homeopathy, much easier than cancer. Blah blah blah

One can die from dengue and malaria.

I had dengue once, I wanted to die. It was extremely painful. My child had it too - I thought she was going to die.

There are many studies regarding the effects of the poisons utitized here to spray the mosquitoes. We use a mild dose of malathion. It is definitely the lesser of the 2 evils. If we have a major outbreak of mosquito borne diseases we will lose our livelihoods. Toursists won't come to visit and even if the do, we'll be too sick to welcome them.

LaurieMar, we get mozzies when we have rain puddles. So in the dry season there is nowhere for them to breed, but as soon as the rains come we are inundated.

Belize is undertaking an aerial spraying program to attempt to avoid major outbreaks of disease - I plan to begin lobbying for a full course of aerial spayings for the island.

The last time we did an aerial spraying (right after I recovered from the dengue fever) a series of 3 sprays during specific timings of the mosquitoes life cycle, we did not have a major mosquito problem for many years.

The last time we sprayed was 1998.

The department of health as well as the departments for the environment, fisheries, forestry etc. etc. need to be consulted, but I believe there won't be any objections this year because we have had over 100 confirmed cases of dengue on the mainland already this year.

As with most projects the local businesses and private citizens will need to donate financially to the project if it is to be sucessful.

I'll be on the case just as soon as I get the kids back in school.

Barbara, isn't the mosquito the Texas State Bird? eek

Barbara's from sandy El Paso. The Texas state bird mostly roams the eastern half of the state.

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 345 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.