Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#107377 - 08/19/05 03:50 AM Mata Rocks or Paradise Villas
snorkelgirl Offline
Stayed at BB last time... any pros and cons for these other two which I'm considering?

#107378 - 08/19/05 05:58 AM Re: Mata Rocks or Paradise Villas
spl Offline
what do you like to do there/ do you prefer north or south of town? Is there a big price difference?

#107379 - 08/19/05 10:58 AM Re: Mata Rocks or Paradise Villas
Denny Shane Offline
do you prefer "peace and quiet"? or the hustle and bustle of town?

#107380 - 08/19/05 02:22 PM Re: Mata Rocks or Paradise Villas
snorkelgirl Offline
Things which were outstanding at BB: moderate price, great food at El Divino, fine service from Monkey Business, cleanliness of room, security on beach at night, swimming right off the beach.

Things lacking at BB: main bed was uncomfortable (I ended up putting cushions from sofa on the floor to use), we had 3 girls and they gave us only 2 towels each day, we always had to ask for soap and TP (every day). OK so not real important, but they are basic necessitites.

So I wouldn't mind paying a little more to be assured of the basics. As far as north/south of town, I've only seen south and in town. Which is why I must return!!

Not a big party/nightclub girl. But I did enjoy the beach BBQ and Chicken Drop and just being out in the evening. Would like to hear local music more next time.

Thanks in advance for suggestions : )

#107381 - 08/19/05 02:44 PM Re: Mata Rocks or Paradise Villas
1BKeeper Offline
When we stayed at Paradise Villas, I didn't notice the hustle and bustle of town unless I went out of the gates. I enjoyed seeing the everyday life in San Pedro and I liked being able to run to the store or bakery and being a part of that life. Leisurely strolls to dinner and then stopping by Manelly's for an ice cream cone made great evenings. The Paradise Villa grounds are beautiful and quite tranquil. There is no restaurant on site, so the only people are the ones staying there.
I have also stayed at the Blue Tang Inn next door and enjoyed it, too.
I've never stayed "out of town" and so far no one in our group of 10 mid-fiftyish fishermen, snorkelers, adventurers, and pool sitters has suggested that we try it.
We are counting the days 'til our return trip in February! (And hope that we will be able to afford the flight!)
Hope this helped!

#107382 - 08/19/05 09:07 PM Re: Mata Rocks or Paradise Villas
Johnboy Offline
As everyone on this board knows I recommend MataRocks every chance I get......If anything is lacking, you will only have to ask the staff once & it will be taken care of promptly.....We have stayed there five times & never had a problem( that wasn't corrected).....Liz & Terry (the owners) are there almost everyday & the staff is wonderful...Also The Squirrels Nest is one of the best beach bars on the island ... Go & enjoy...Hope you have a wonderful time where ever you stay. laugh wink :p

#107383 - 08/19/05 10:06 PM Re: Mata Rocks or Paradise Villas
Fluffy Offline
Try Exotic Caye Beach resort at www.belizeisfun.com. Not sure what your price range is but I highly recommend them.

#107384 - 08/20/05 12:45 PM Re: Mata Rocks or Paradise Villas
crockhunter Offline
Paradise Villas has a larger pool and garden area, no bar but a short walk to Wet Willies or Cholo's the other direction. Mata Rocks does have the Squirel's nest which is another neat bar. In town is not really noisy, but the beaches are a little buisier with pedestrian traffic. I would consider Mata rocks a little better run buy the staff and owners, but we had no problems with service at Paradise Villas. More boats and boat traffic downtown but I found that G & M Diveshop Pier just to the south of PV has a deep spot on the north side which made it great for swimming( I prefer the ocean to swimming pools).

#107385 - 08/22/05 09:27 PM Re: Mata Rocks or Paradise Villas
snorkelgirl Offline
Thanks everyone for well thought-out sugestions!

And crockhunter, I know what you mean...my last stay I never got in the pool at all. Just love salt water : )

#107386 - 08/22/05 09:51 PM Re: Mata Rocks or Paradise Villas
john robertsdenver Offline
Snorkelgirl, I have stayed at both banana beach and mata rocks and enjoyed them both. you must have gotten a bad bed for ours was soooper. in any event i would go for mata rocks for then you have the best of both the beach at B.B. and the cosy squirels nest bar and pool and a great place to stay...go for the junior suites and you will be happy. aske for the largest one they have i think it is the ground floor poolside ....john in denver then you can eat at B.B. too!!

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,021 Topics
462,212 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.