Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#107487 08/22/05 06:10 PM
D
Dizi-B Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I'm new to your forum, so please be kind.
I will be visiting your beautiful island in September. I have been terrorized by websites and other so called friends that I am going to contact malaria while I am there.
So here's my question? Are the mosquitos that bad? Do I really need to take the anti-malaria drug? I don't know which to be more frightened of, the aspect of coming down with malaria or the side effects of the drugs!
So what's your opinions? I am really anxious to hear!

Dizi-B
I have visited 7 times, and now live here. VBeen here 2 months, gotten plenty of bites after it rains and no maleria! I think you will be fine in AC. I think your chances are higher in the jungle on the mainland. Mosquitos are not bad here much, only after rains or early, early mornnings.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Most people on this board seem to take the position that the anti-malarials are not needed on the island and that the only real malaria risk is inland jungles. Statistically speaking - they are probably correct. But the US CDC recommends them. We took them last year w/ no side effects. 1 pill: once a week. They're cheap and pretty much guaranted - I'm of the "better safe than sorry school" and we will start our round of chloroquin next week before our second trip.

J
J
I think that the reports of bad side effects from anti-malarials are mostly related to the drug Mefloquine (Lariam). Lots of reports of insomnia, hallucinations, nightmares. You don't hear much with Chlorquine. I just looked at the CDC website. It lists of all Belize, with the exception of Belize City, as being at risk. That said, we usually don't bother with the meds.

I've been using ReaLemon (that little lemon shaped bottle) on mosquito bites, it stings for a second and then gone, no more itching. TRY IT!
smile

Dare To Deviate
Dizi, My wife and I will be in AC for the first time September 15-20. Maybe we can avoid the skeeters together. Looks like we're passing on the drugs but bringing plenty of spray. If your scheudle matches ours, let me know and I'll send you a private message with our contact info.

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
Originally posted by tweedybear:
Originally posted by Dizi-B:
[b] I'm new to your forum, so please be kind.
I will be visiting your beautiful island in September. I have been terrorized by websites and other so called friends that I am going to contact malaria while I am there.
So here's my question? Are the mosquitos that bad? Do I really need to take the anti-malaria drug? I don't know which to be more frightened of, the aspect of coming down with malaria or the side effects of the drugs!
So what's your opinions? I am really anxious to hear!
[/b]
We're taking Deep Woods Off - 100% Deet with us. It can be purchased at any sports place like REI, Sportmart, of whatever you have in your area however we're going in Nov. hopefully we won't need it. Ask your Dr. to give you a prescription for Atarez - stops itching.

Fish never hold their breath - Cheers to the Fish!
D
Dizi-B Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks everybody!! Your comments have been very helpful.
I'll see you on sept.3rd, can't wait!!

Dizi-B

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.