Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#107495 08/22/05 06:14 PM
S
SuzyQ Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I just posted a thread about doing a bike ride on the mainland before coming out to SP for our real R&R. I am looking for any info on road conditions and routes that are cycle friendly. The last time we visited Belize, we passed a couple of groups of cyclist that were definately a club. Does anyone know how to contact anyone that may be interested in assisting us with info?Any help is appreciated and since I don't ride, my husband does, I am definately looking forward the the last part of our visit, a panty ripper on the beach of SP laugh

#107496 08/23/05 07:55 AM
You would have a definite here if it weren't for a knee surgery when we return in Dec. We're big cyclists.Are you planning on bringing your own bike? I rode the Garmish to Vienna trip a few years ago before hip replacement along with the annual SFO-LA ride which resulted in a hip replacement along with surgery on the right knee - now it's the left one. We'll be on A. C. for scuba diving the very first time in Nov. Have fun. Do a search for bike clubs? The one we did found on the web (Germany trip) that is. when you find a club close to where you are, send them an e-mail. Cheers!

Fish never hold their breath - Cheers to the Fish!
#107497 08/23/05 12:01 PM
S
SuzyQ Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Joe is bringing his own bike. We are working on getting a couple of others from the club here to come with us. It's a compromise trip, he wanted to do a cycling trip somewhere and I just want to come back to Belize, so much to see and I love the people. Did a search for clubs and came up zero. Found a couple of tours that that did trips but we don't want to be with a tour. Your going to love AC!

#107498 08/23/05 12:40 PM
Where are you located? It will help with names of clubs and contacts.

#107499 08/23/05 01:50 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Mountain biking is organised by a number of inland operators, and on suitable trails (which apparently exist) should be fun. I'd be wary of road riding for two reasons - it's very hot, with the heat reflected from the road and no shade; and the standard of driving in Belize is poor. If you go for road riding you need a tough bicycle, such as one used for audax, as even the tarmaced roads are often in poor condition. Bring all spares & tools you could possibly imagine, including spare tyre covers.

#107500 08/23/05 08:28 PM
S
SuzyQ Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Tweedybear, we are in the shore area of CT. Joe rides with several clubs. If anyone wants to contact us directly, [email protected] Any road info is welcome. Pedro2, we don't mountain bike so its going to be bring lots and lots of tubes and tools. I appreciate the warning about the driving skills of Belizeans. Especially the bus drivers! Whoa! We got out of their way but I'll tell you what, they are alot more considerate than the New Yorkers and people from Massachusetts! (Sorry if that offends anyone) laugh

#107501 08/24/05 10:15 AM
I'm taking this on the east coast along with several others - one Cherry City Cyclists, San Leandro, CA - http://www.cherrycitycyclists.org/
fremontfreewheelers.com;valleyspokesman.com
http://www.bikelane.com/;
http://www.adventuresportsonline.co...alendar=rbride&category=bicycling#CA

CLUBS AT A GLANCE
Alaska | Arizona | Colorado | N.California | S.California |
Delaware | Georgia | Florida | Illinois | Indiana | Iowa |
Kentucky | Maryland | Maine | Massachusetts |
Michigan | Minnesota | Missouri |
New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | North Carolina |
Ohio | Oregon | Pennyslvania | Puerto Rico |
Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Vermont | Virginia |
Washington | Wisconsin | Wyoming |
National | International | TANDEM BIKE CLUBS

Perhaps you could post messages for invites. I was a member of Cherry City - didn't care for the club type of riding for they take their time. My husband rides with them Tues./Thurs. evenings.

#107502 08/24/05 10:22 AM
Perhaps you could post messages for invites. I was a member of Cherry City - didn't care for the club type of riding for they take their time. My husband rides with them Tues./Thurs. evenings. [/qb][/QUOTE]PS: If I were doing this ride, I'd go from Belize City down to Flores (tubes, tools, etc.) and take the Humingbird Hwy. I would also incorporate "slyme" believe me, we ride w/o having flat tires. I would buy the best road bike tires available which we use Michilen (misp) along with plenty of tubes (for this purpose along with road conditions, catch a sale at Performance Bikes.com for tubes & tires - carry a good back pack or side bags. Get a good quality pump, one that has a gage on it; a pair of tweezers for pulling out debri, first aid kit, patch kits, etc., It's best to go South versus North due to the winds. I would only use my road bike.

Another suggestion is contact the Ride Across America posting on their web site http://www.arideacrossamerica.org/ - might post with possibilities or the AidsLife Cycle.org - a few more suggestions. Hope this info helps.

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 186 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.