Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Dizi-B Offline OP
OP Offline
D
So tell me, do I need to exchange my US money for Belizian money?
AND does all business' take credit cards?

One more question???? Does anybody know anything about the Costa Maya Reef Resort???
laugh

Dizi-B
First question: No. Everywhere I've been accepts US currency. Mostly change is given in Belize $s, so you'll soon have a mix of both.

Most businesses accept credit cards. However some charge an additional fee for this.

Can't help you regarding Costa Maya.

Wal-Mart, however, still refuses to take my BZ money back here in the states. :p

* I Go Pogo *
Dizi-B

Most places do take the major credit cards. We were there during the BTL strike (telecom company which services all of Belize). During that time, since phone lines were out and transactions couldn't process, we used mix of US and BZ cash. Traveler's checks (AMEX) are useful as well. When you arrive at BZE, there is a currency axchange desk conveniently located in the airport after you go through customs. You will be amazed how quickly you learn to pay for things with a mix of dollars.

An aside: our snorkel guide liked to express his age in US "currency"...his 32 years made him only 16 BZ : )

Take more than you thing you need! There's lots of fun things to purchase, and it helps boost the economy, especially for locals who sell handmade lovelies.

Whoops, I meant his 32 BZ years made him only 16 US.

D
Dizi-B Offline OP
OP Offline
D
thanks snorkelgirl!
Does your name indicate you snorkel a lot?
We'll be doing lots of snorkeling!!! Is any one place better than the other?

Dizi-B
Also, Businesses only take paper US money. No change. But, you will get BZ change for US money. Best to take small $ bills in US, if you want to use it in BZ. Your cash back from purchases will almost always be BZ$$ That way you don't have a bunch of BZ$$ when you go home.

Live so that when you arise in the A.M, Satan shudders & says..
'Oh sh t..she's awake!'
S
S
You can always donate any left over BZ$ to the Saga Humane Society at one of the donation boxes. The boxes can be found at many locations including Pampered Paws, across from Nancy's Supermarket on Middle Street.

just curious about the $$ exchange at Goldson...I've never used it in all my trips there, nor have a need to. And hardly ever see nanyone utilizing it either. Anyone know what the service fee is?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
Costa Maya is WAY up north, a gorgeous resort, great beach: nice place to hang out & read. Also the tour operators will pick you up there, so diving & snorkeling are right at your door.

However, getting in and out of town has been a problem for some guests. I recently heard a couple complain that their flight got in after 3:00 and Costa Maya wouldn't pick them up.

Island Ferry will get you into town every 2 hours for $15 BZ one way (I think, I have my own boat).

There aren't many other restaurants nearby either except the one at the resort - Portofino has awesome food, but it's quite a hike...

You can rent a golf cart up there too, and get around the area easily, but it's about an hour ride into town, depending on how many bars you stop at on the way. laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.