Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
IRM Offline OP
OP Offline
seashell, marge,
I believe the dive site is Victoria Canyons.
Littleengine,
I shot all of my pics on P setting mainly so that I could turn the flash on and off. Next time around I will work with the manual settings. I would try slower shutter speeds (maybe 60th sec.), in order to jack up the aperture. The S70 is geared towards fast shutter speed and wide apertures, so focus becomes more critical plus not much depth of field. I would never use the A setting. My view screen turns off after a short while and I never ran out of juice while diving and the S70 is a juice hog. I also have a back-up battery so I could always start off fully charged. On my camera, holding down the function button for 5 or 6 seconds turns it off. I probably have 500 underwater shots out of which 30 I like. Here an example of the opposite extreme.
[Linked Image]

I like that pic.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Irm, do you mean you DON'T like that second shot? I think it's superb. Is it as the camera delivered it or have you reprocessed it at all?

Littleengine - the S50 is a good camera but like the later S70 is, as Irm says, a battery hog. Some of the later designs are much better on batteries. I have a Canon Powershot Ixus S500 (smaller than the S50/70) which can cope with a couple of dives on one charge, so I always take at least one spare battery with me. Although if conditions are damp or humid I don't open the case at all. On a recent BH trip it died shortly into the third dive, though a Casio EX-Z55 I also took coped with all three dives even though it had already been in use for 2 or 3 weeks - I had forgotten to change the battery, but it did at least 7 dives without dying.

There are knacks to getting good underwater shots with basic cameras like these. Consider getting some tuition while you're here. But Irm's 6% success rate probably isn't far off, which is why you're so much better off with digital.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Anyone - how do you post photos?

IRM Offline OP
OP Offline
Peter, I do like the shot just that it's a close-up with flash and short depth of field. Here's a Link with detailed instructions on adding a graphic within your message.
//ambergriscaye.com/message/ultimatebb.php?ubb=ubb_code_page

L
L
Thanks very much for the tips. I was dreading the thought of paying so much for that case and not getting anything at all even half decent. Where would someone get a little of that instruction you mentioned Pedro2?

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
IRM - I gather from Marty that the photos have to be on a website, but I want to post from my hard disk. I have a couple of pictures taken with my S50 which I think show quite well what it can do. I'll post them once I can work out how.....

Littleengine - several dive shops will do that for you. I know we will, and we also rent u/w digital cameras - said S50 and EZ-X55.

IRM Offline OP
OP Offline
Littleengine, I wouldn't dread not getting any good shots. This was my first attempt at underwater photography and I was able to get some very nice pics. Just stay calm, enjoy your dives and take the shots that you can line up without rushing. Here's a link to Canon's underwater photography guide.
http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/uwphoto/index-e.html

Peter, can you place an image on your web server? If so then you can link to it. For example this is what the link to the dive shop image looks like on your site.

"http://www.protechdive.com/CIMG4131sm.JPG"

If you can upload your web pages you can upload an image the same way.

IRM, that's a good link to learn, t smile hanks.

L
L
IRM,

Thanks for the link, I think that's going to help a lot. Pedro2, unfortunately I will not be diving, only snorkelling (this trip) so I'm not sure how receptive the dive shops would be to teaching a newbie underwater photog like me a few tricks.

One last question... IRM, you mentioned for one of your pics you had the flash on.. is that generally recommended or is the light in the shallow water enough? I'm particularly curious about the shark/sting ray snorkel trip... never done that one before, would keeping the flash off to avoid startling them be adviseable or are they so used to that type of thing that it doesn't matter?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.