Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#108005 09/12/05 09:07 PM
K
OP Offline
K
I hope not to bother any of you. But I love message boards. They have been helpful in the past making decisions with regards to where to go and where to stay?? So here it goes. I am going to tell you a little about ourselves and then maybe you all can give me some good advice.

We are in our late 30's. We love the beach and chillin. We go on vacation to mainly relax and explore a little. We do not Dive or Fish. But do like to do some snorkeling from time to time but no avid snorkelers. We like to eat good food and try different stuff, have some cocktails here and there. Shop a little but mainly relax. And meet people from all over. I have read alot the last 2 days with regards to the swimming off the beach area is not recommended (concerns me a little) but as long as their is a pool it is not the end of the world. We do like to walk the beach some. And I am sure would like to have a golf cart atleast one or two days to explore when we feel like it. Excursions are a possibility also. They cave tubing sounds like fun and horseback riding sounds good too. Do you think Ambergris Caye is a good fit for us and any recommendations on a place to stay?? A/C is important...neither of us like to be hot when sleeping. We like the option. Coffee pot would be nice in the room, because sometimes we get up before places start serving breakfast and we like to sit and drink coffee outside in the AM.
All suggestions and opionions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kimmy from Indy

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
AC sounds like your kind of place -
As much to do as you'd like, but plenty of time to laze. Lots of places to have good food and cocktails. People to meet, both locals and tourists from all over the world. Little shopping. Swimming from the shore is possible in some places and from the end of a pier in lots of places.
Banana Beach sounds like a good fit - two pools, probably the cleanest I've been in on the island -(been in quite a few) breakfast is included in the price of a room and it's pretty darn good, prices on the courtyard suites are very reasonable for what you get (Especially off season) and include a kitchen w/ coffee pot and just about everything else you could need/want.

Who am I to make a recommendation since we're making our first trip this week?! However, you guys sound a lot like us. We chose Belizean Shores becuase we too value our quiet beach time while still being able to explore easily. I'm excited to be a little bit away from it all, but a quick $5 water taxi ride into town. Best pool on the island from what I hear. Fully equipped kitchens. Book excursions from the dock and walking distance to Capricorn. The rave reviews both here and on TrpAdvisor.com helped us in our decision.

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
J
J
I'm one of those who like to be in or very close to town. We walk lots and lots, but I like the convenience of a short walk to get fresh rolls and such for breakfast.

Our favorite spot remains Belizean Reef, but it has no pool. Last visit we decided to try the Palms, very nice, does have a pool. But, next trip (March) we'll be back at the Reef. Great swimming next door off Ramon's dock. We found we really didn't use the pool at the Palms much anyway. Another place we consider is Paradise Villas. Other end of town, still very convenient. I'd certainly agree that the pool at Belizean Shores is awesome.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Otteralum - Just so you won't be shocked - water taxi isn't "quick" and it isn't $5

M
M
Hi there!! I, along with 2 of my friends, are making our way to AC Oct 6 - 13. I lived in Hawaii for 5 years up until last June so I am looking forward to getting back to the beach and laid back atmoshphere..even thought it is only for a week.

We are very interested in the Mayan ruins and wonder if there were any suggestions as to what is the best way to go about that? Any in particular anyone could recommend? How far is Tikal from AC?

Lamanai is the best trip from AC. They pick you up at your hotel dock about 7AM, and bring you back about 5:30 PM. It's a long day, but wonderful. Great ruins, interesting boat rides, and neat country. Also a good lunch on site. Your hotel will book for you.

B
B
Hi Kimmyway,

Sounds like Placencia might be the spot for you.

Have fun!
Brigitte

Thanks lawcucui! Expectations are important. Can someone tell me how the water taxi differs from what is posted? Thanks!!!//www.ambergriscaye.com/download/ferryschedule.html

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Here's a portion of an article published last year in the Washington Post.

In terms of staying on the north end, I tend to agree with the article's line: "That's 1 for the resort, 0 for the gringos." That's just my opinion, but I want the option of being a little closer to stores, restaurants, etc. (P.S. The author is totally right on about JamBel!)

From the article:

"This place reminds me of Key West 30 years ago," a newcomer comments as he steps out of the little prop plane at the San Pedro airport, on Ambergris (pronounced am-BER-griss) Caye (pronounced key). It's a Jimmy Buffett kind of town, with hard-packed sand streets, lots of semi-comatose dogs lying around, a surfeit of bars ranging from slick to seedy, and an exceedingly amiable citizenry, most wearing flip-flops. Everyone uses golf carts to get around. Just a nice feel to the place.

We've booked into a secluded resort a few miles up the coast -- a big mistake, since we soon get bored way out there and end up spending $40 apiece each day going back and forth to San Pedro for lunch and dinner. But we don't know that yet.

Our first night, we dine at our resort, which is featuring Mexican Night. This involves an overpriced buffet of uninspired food and a potbellied mariachi singing "Teen Angel" soulfully in Spanish. That's 1 for the resort, 0 for the gringos.

So during our three days on the island, we become regulars on the water taxi circuit, joining resort workers, locals and visitors on the amusement park-style speedboat rides going back and forth to San Pedro. Schedules can be a little erratic.

In San Pedro, there are galleries to browse, hotels to scope out for future visits, bars and restaurants to sample. The locals rave about Capricorn, which offers gourmet food in a romantic setting and requires reservations well in advance. But this sounds like the sort of thing we came to Belize to escape from, so we end up in places like Cholo's, where we sit on plastic chairs under a palm tree in the sand and drink $1.50 rum-and-Cokes.

We love the coconut pie at Caliente's, where you sit on a first-floor balcony overlooking the beach, and the conch ceviche at Celi's, an island institution.

But our favorite spot is JamBel Jerk Pit, which serves Jamaican-Belizean fusion. Its rooftop dining room is decked out in colored lights and plastic lawn furniture, and we devour our curried fish and grilled lobster happily as hiphop music wafts up from the carryout shacks across the street.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.