Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#108039 - 09/13/05 10:45 PM Visa/ATM/Traveller's Checks?
BobW Offline
We're heading down to Belize (first timers) in November. What is the best ways to pay for stuff along the way? How universal are credit cards? I have read that ATM's connected back to Canada were pretty rare.. is that still the case?

Any help on this is appreciated..

#108040 - 09/14/05 08:10 AM Re: Visa/ATM/Traveller's Checks?
Hon Offline
We used our Bank of Montreal debit card at Belize Bank both in Belize City and San Pedro.

On the advice of our hosts, we brought Belize cash and US dollar travellers cheques to use in San Ignatio and Benque Viejo del Carmen. We didn't need to use the travellers cheques so I don't know how or if they are accepted on the mainland. They were accepted everywhere we shopped/ate/drank in Belize City and on Ambergris Caye.

We used our credit card sparingly for larger purchases as it seemed that most businesses charged a fee for processing.

So all that said, a combination of all three with a few dollars in US cash for when you arrive, and you should be all set to spend every cent you have laugh
Newfoundlanders are the only people in heaven who want to go home.

#108041 - 09/14/05 09:22 AM Re: Visa/ATM/Traveller's Checks?
Otteralum Offline
I just contacted our Visa company on the advice of many on this board. Total conversion fee is 3% on all transactions. I hear some are higher. Visa gets 1% and the card issuing companies can set their own additional fee. Having worked for a CC company, there is no additional liability for an overseas transaction, so this is totally bogus. Beware!
I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.

#108042 - 09/14/05 11:10 AM Re: Visa/ATM/Traveller's Checks?
WhiteWater Offline
I plan on using AmEx USD travelers cheques. They're almost like cash, they were free, and if the phone/electricity is down I'm not stuck holding a useless card. Plus, the merchants seem to appreciate this method of payment over CCs, and maybe over debit cards (not sure how the merchant is charged for those).

#108043 - 09/14/05 11:21 AM Re: Visa/ATM/Traveller's Checks?
Dizi-B Offline
We just got back and everyone takes master card and visa, cash, travelers checks.
However, our resort accepted no cash, I guess to protect the guests and their employees, but it was a pain in the a........ when you wanted a drink or pay for a meal. Instead we had to keep up with how much our room would be charged for the weeks stay.
However in town, they took any kind of monetary $

#108044 - 09/14/05 01:02 PM Re: Visa/ATM/Traveller's Checks?
spl Offline
I think travelers checks are easiest and they are excepted everywhere you go here, even large amounts. Your credit card does charge 2-3%

#108045 - 09/14/05 08:19 PM Re: Visa/ATM/Traveller's Checks?
CarribeanSunSeeker Offline
While we found that mostly everyone took Visa some merchants did so reluctantly and some charged a 5% to 9% fee. Or maybe it was a 9% tax that only got collected when it was on a charge card. Add that to the 3% Bank of America charged me and that seems a good reason to take travelers checks.

#108046 - 09/15/05 08:00 AM Re: Visa/ATM/Traveller's Checks?
Placidguy Offline
Next question... are $50.00 and $100.00 (US) Amex Travelers checks easy to cash and use or is it better to have $20.00's ?

#108047 - 09/15/05 09:51 AM Re: Visa/ATM/Traveller's Checks?
Hon Offline
$100's are too big. We brought about half $50's (they were refused twice for purchases of less than $20) and half in $20's (which were 100% accepted)
Newfoundlanders are the only people in heaven who want to go home.

#108048 - 09/15/05 02:28 PM Re: Visa/ATM/Traveller's Checks?
Skyliner Offline
Is Milo out of the exchange business? It used to be easy changing travelers checks with him, and rather than charging a fee, he'd generally pay 2-3% on the deal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (Marty, RedRover, 1 invisible), 34 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,740 Topics
461,316 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.