Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#108756 09/28/05 04:14 PM
J
JoeBon Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Is San Pedro a safe town. Can I walk through the town late at night? If i am out in the town at a bar and want to go back to hotel...should i walk it or take a taxi?

#108757 09/28/05 04:34 PM
B
B
San Pedro is like any other town in the world, be careful. There are people out to rip you off. There are crackheads, rapists and worse. Just be aware and careful like you would in any other city.

#108758 09/28/05 04:39 PM
san pedro is a very safe town. however you must use your common sense as in any town. don't walk into dark areas, stay in well lit areas and where people are around, if your hotel is close i recomend walking on the street instead of on the beach as there are many dark areas on the beach. its always safer to travel in numbers. i've never had a problem. just be aware of your suroundings and enjoy! smile

I want to be just like Capt Jeff when I grow up!
#108759 09/28/05 06:20 PM
Just got back from SP a week ago. My wife and I felt very safe.

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
#108760 09/29/05 11:27 PM
oh my GOSH! What a horrible way to say what you think. If this is your opinion, by all means the message board is here for you to tell the truth, but could you put it any horribly? CRACKHEADS, RAPISTS AND WORSE? WHAT DO YOU MEAN WORSE?

JOEBON, you need to be careful anywhere you travel as anything can happen anywhere, no such thing as a perfect place. Yes, San Pedro is extremly safe, extremly! I traveled to San Pedro 6 times as a single female in my 20's and NEVER ONCE felt unsafe or had any issues or threats.

I NOW LIVE HERE, WALK ALONE ALL THE TIME, HAVE NEVER HAD ANYTHING HAPPEN TO ME...EXCEPT HELLOS AND NICE GESTURES FROM THE KIND HEARTED PEOPLE OF THIS TOWN! I FEEL MUCH SAFER THAN IN NEVADA WHERE I WAS THE PAST 5 YRS.

#108761 09/29/05 11:48 PM
B
B
Glen, are you stateside or still stuck in the musical mud of SP?

#108762 09/30/05 09:20 AM
B
B
The truth is the truth no matter how you slice it.

#108763 09/30/05 12:11 PM
Joebon: Ke is right!! I know everyone longs for paradise, free from ALL worries, but you can't bury your head in the sand-- Just like anyplace else, you will always, always have to use some common sense.

I've traveled alone or w/another female a number of times all around Mexico and once to Honduras. My 2 daughters, both now in their early 20's,have traveled w/a group of medical missionary's--nun's during summer breaks. Among a few of their longer trips have been to Russia each x2, & my eldest just returned from Guatamala before the fall semester began.

Traveling as single females, they (& I) know that many of the small towns they are in have many fewer "threats" than our city. We have also taken precautions & educated ourselves. There's plenty of info on travel sites.

Things that have worked for me so far besides the obvious mentioned above is to BLEND IN & NOT look like a target! Study all you can, maps, etc. so you don't bumble around too much & draw a lot of unwanted attn.

I traveled alone a year ago this past June to Cabo San Lucas to get a break from my grumpy husband & marriage woes. I had no trouble at all. BUT--I listened to my instincts & talked w/a number of locals & hotel staff on which places to avoid. The best advice came from a real estate agent. It was well worth it!

I was in San Pedro last DEC.'04 (hmmm) but only for a day after snorkling at Shark Ray Alley. My husband was tired & I left him at the bar while I spent the whole day walking around town & meeting the kindest Belizians! I exhanged addresses & ph # w/a family & I just happened to save it!

Last wk, after reading Capt.Jeffs health report, which his words hit me down to the core of my soul...yes, better than Dr. Phil... I made the final decision to make the move. So I found that little piece of paper, took the chance & called their cell ph# & spoke w/both the husband & wife--they remembered me! (I think this is how all of this has been miraculously set in place...)

When I met my new friends in SP last Dec, I had given them "grumpy's" inexpensive dive watch because it had rubbed his wrist too much & he had put it in my pocket. My new Belizian friend didn't know I had it, but happened to mention that he would sometimes "free-dive" for lobsters to sell. I said it sounded dangerous & his wife said only because the face on his watch was white & she worried about it attracting Barraccuda's! The watch in my pocket had a dk blue face! You would have thought I had given them the most precious gift in the world! He's still wearing it and something I didn't think was a big thing, meant so much to him and his wife!! They & their 3 children (2 of whom I got to speak w/on the ph. & I just fell in love with them!) now call me part of their family! Wow!

(Ok, I got off on a long rabbit trail, but I wanted to share w/ Joebon that the people are truly gracious & warm. Expect good things; just be safe.)

I felt so much safer in SP than I do here in Austin! I am almost single again & will be making a fresh start in AC by late Jan. My divorce will be final in DECEMBER '05!! (Is'nt that odd? I didn't file either! But I still think it's a blessing--Somebody must be trying to trying to tell me something being that it will be final the same week I was in SP last yr!!)Hmm

I need to find an apt. or buy a hm very soon afterwards anyway. So, w/ it being only a 2 hr. flight, why not go there vs. the same 'ol thing here? I am soooo excited! At first my family thought I was nuts, now they are thrilled & incredibly supportive!

Belize was always my dream, not his.(I was ready to moved down to AC almost 25 yrs ago but found out I was pregnant just 3 wks before I was to leave!)

Now I get to really do it!...following my dreams...I'm just going solo is all!!

And being safe like Ke said! laugh I hope to see all of you soon! Send me any info or advice--I welcome it all! And thanks for all the support many of you have sent my way! Divorce isn't easy at all-- even when you know it's best. & starting over alone even if doing it in your own home town is scary. I don't like this "in-between part", and I am scared as hell! But, following my dream gets my heart beating, and best of all, it renews in me love again...for life!!! Wow, I thought that was long gone...guess not! laugh

terrilynn
#108764 09/30/05 03:31 PM
B
B
My wife and I bought property on AC and have been traveling there since the late 90's. We just returned from living and working in San Pedro for a year and a half. I get very frustrated when I see people talk about how "crime free" SP is. Since our first trip to SP in 97, the island has changed drastically. I too remember the friendly hellos--and I'm not saying this doesn't happen now. I'm just saying that the amount of crime that occurs in SP needs to be acknowledged. We moved there with the ideal that SP was this utopian place. While living in SP, I was robbed, had personal property stolen from my apartment on a regular basis and was constantly approached by drug dealers. About a month before our return to the states, my wife was the victim of an attempted rape by one of the SP town council workers that rakes the beach. This happened during her morning walk in broad daylight. Now tell me, how idealistic does this sound? I think that anyone who travels to SP needs to be aware of these problems--especially if you are a female traveling alone. Just to name a few things that have happened over the past year in SP--a woman got into a taxi for a ride and was taken back by the lagoon and brutally raped by the driver and left for dead. Also, a security guard at Fido's was recently murdered. There is constant petty theft and American tourists are often targets. I'm not trying to be hateful or rude--this is a reality that everyone needs to be aware of. My wife and I both loved SP, and we still have great friends there, but enough is enough and we came home to the states.

#108765 09/30/05 07:18 PM
BY ALL MEANS NO ONE SAID SP IS CRIME FREE!!!!
We said it is VERY safe and safer than many travel destinations (and ALL places I traveled to) This is HORRIBLE what happened to your wife, unacceptable. Rape and robbery happens everywhere in the world. This does not justify what happened to you.

About the murder...Where I moved FROM in the US there are approx 10 murders a week! That is more than 1 per day vs. one of the few murders in the past 5 years here! One murder in a destination makes you think this place is not safe! I would hate to see you move to NY or Vegas or LA!

About your comment on females traveling alone. I traveled alone here 6 times, am in my 20's, never any problems of any sort. Know SEVERAL females who traveled here alone, same thing. I now LIVE here and never had any of these issues.

To conclude, I will restate what I wrote in my other post:

you need to be careful anywhere you travel as anything can happen anywhere, no such thing as a perfect place. Yes, San Pedro is extremly safe, extremly!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.