Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#110097 - 10/25/05 01:43 AM Dolphins?
Kristykins Offline
Okay don't laugh at me, but this was one thing I was somewhat excited about doing in Cancun before that trip was lost...

Is there anywhere in AC or nearby where you can swim with Dolphins?

I'm pretty this answer will be no...but I had to ask just in case wink
"If you find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere"

#110098 - 10/25/05 05:07 AM Re: Dolphins?
Nick Barton Offline
We see them quite regularly in the sea between the island and the reef (particularly early in the morning) but unless you have a boat I guess it would be difficult to get out close to them.

#110099 - 10/25/05 09:19 AM Re: Dolphins?
scuba_sue Offline
When we set out for an all day dive trip (at 6:30 am), there was one playing in the wake. On the way back, there was a small pod that followed us for a bit. Amazing!

Don't know of an area set aside for swimming with them. Belize and AC are very protective of the reef and wild life. I can't see them penning in dolphins.

#110100 - 10/25/05 10:28 AM Re: Dolphins?
SimonB Offline
Not sure what happened to the project but here's a thread on swimming with dolphins. Anyone have any updates?

#110101 - 10/25/05 11:18 AM Re: Dolphins?
Amanda Syme Offline
Hi Kristykins

Many, many years ago there was a wild dolphin out at Lighthouse Reef that preferred the company of people to the company of dolphins. She would race to meet the dive boats and spend hours frolicking with the visitors. One day however the inevitable happened and the dolphin had a cute little baby dolphin. After this occured she was a lot more aloof and very protective of the baby. Although the Mama Dolphin would come and play she would occassionally take an extreme dislike to a particular person in the crowd and would beat this person up. Normally it was a women that she would hit with her tail. Some folks were hospitalized after a visit with her. Then one day, she was gone.....

I went scuba diving in the main channel of San Pedro about 5 years ago and a pod of dolphin decided to visit with us during the entire dive. They played, jumped up in the air, raced etc. but never came close enough to touch.

Earlier this month we chartered a TMM Bareboat Sailing Catamaran vessel and right in front of St. George's Caye (about 20 miles from San Pedro) met up with a pod of 10 dolphin. They stayed with the boat for at least 20 minutes. We were tempted to jump in with them, but common sense prevailed. These are wild animals and they may have felt threatened if we got too close. Again they did all the tricks, diving, jumping, racing etc. There were some smaller dolphin, we are assuming these were calfs as they were being corralled.

Anyway, you may be able to swim with the dolphin, but it will be their choice, not yours.

I for one hope that we never condone the opening of a dolphin park here in Belize. Containing such magnificent creatures, with the wild only a few feet away would be cruel.

I am sure Xcaret will be back up and running within a year for those folks who don't have the time and/or opportunity to wait for a spontaneous dolphin encounter in the wild.

#110102 - 10/25/05 11:33 AM Re: Dolphins?
Kristykins Offline
Well hey, if there's a chance of a dolphin encounter in the wild, I'm all for it. =)

I will keep my eyes open & hopefully I'll get lucky!
"If you find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere"

#110103 - 10/25/05 11:39 AM Re: Dolphins?
wink :p

#110104 - 10/25/05 11:40 AM Re: Dolphins?
and eek

#110105 - 10/25/05 12:00 PM Re: Dolphins?
KWIBMF Offline
I have some pictures and video of that dolphin that I took while on an Offshore Express trip 10 years ago. The crew called her Honey, but I believe she was known by several other names.

She followed the boat into the lagoon of the island where we spent the night. Can't remember the name of the island(Sand Boar?) but it was the one with the old lighthouse. Several people swam with her near the dock, I delined due to the proximity of the outhouses on the dock. She did get a little aggressive, smacked a woman in the back with her tail, but she just seemed to be trying to prevent her from getting out of the water. She wanted to play!

The next morning, she followed us out to the Blue Hole, then waited for us to come up from the dive and swam around with us during the safety stop. We headed out from the BH, and that's the last we saw of her. Quite an experience.

#110106 - 10/25/05 12:11 PM Re: Dolphins?
SimonB Offline
There was a family of dolphins just south of Costa Maya about 2 weeks ago. Two adults a juvenile and a baby, it was amazing to watch them from the boat as they swam around us.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 17 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,679 Topics
461,170 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.